Liquids ban

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Liquids ban

Seems like we are going to mirror Euro land and LOTFAP land.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=67340
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:12 pm

Bollox...i wonder if this means I will soon be banned from flying. After a couple hours in the QP I'm at least 90% liquid myself....
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
ah crud - no more bringing cheap NZ duty free with me to australia
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
ah crud - no more bringing cheap NZ duty free with me to australia
But surely you can buy the stuff after the search point in NZ? It'll only be a problem if you can't finish it all when you are over here!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

often I have an onward flight - so will have to consume before the first security check in Australia
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Question Carry on Restrictions Next

So we are now going to feel safer because of the liquids ban. What about the carry on restrictions that are in effect in the other countries? Will one carry on mean only one thing including handbags and laptop bags and DF, sorry cannot carry them on now....
I was really annoyed when in the US I was told, pre-liquids ban, that I had to combine my carryon, DF and laptop, into one bag. After seeing what people were carrying on, I bought a light canvas duffy type and carried it through. I felt so much safer knowing that terrorists, who were not on the "no fly list" were limited to carrying their items in one big bag....
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:24 pm

LOTFAP = Land Of The Free And Paranoid ???
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
So we are now going to feel safer because of the liquids ban. What about the carry on restrictions that are in effect in the other countries? Will one carry on mean only one thing including handbags and laptop bags and DF, sorry cannot carry them on now....
I was really annoyed when in the US I was told, pre-liquids ban, that I had to combine my carryon, DF and laptop, into one bag. After seeing what people were carrying on, I bought a light canvas duffy type and carried it through. I felt so much safer knowing that terrorists, who were not on the "no fly list" were limited to carrying their items in one big bag....
Last night my little carry-on backpack had a weeks worth of junk in it, weighed over 15 kgs, wouldn't fit in the overhead locker (main deck 744)unless I unloaded stuff from it. I carried my coat and book. Nobody challenged the size, nobody cared. Others had three bags. Nobody cared. I was on UA.

We all felt safe as we x-rayed our shoes and had our "ziploc baggies" with <3 oz of lotions. The pom behind me with a full plastic bottle of hair gel was busted!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by futaris
LOTFAP = Land Of The Free And Paranoid ???
yup..
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
This is just ridiculous. Unless we have had a direct threat this is over kill.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Originally Posted by og
Last night my little carry-on backpack had a weeks worth of junk in it, weighed over 15 kgs, wouldn't fit in the overhead locker (main deck 744)unless I unloaded stuff from it. I carried my coat and book. Nobody challenged the size, nobody cared. Others had three bags. Nobody cared. I was on UA.

We all felt safe as we x-rayed our shoes and had our "ziploc baggies" with <3 oz of lotions. The pom behind me with a full plastic bottle of hair gel was busted!
So, can I have a coat that carries 3 days of clothing and they don't give a hoof? Then buy something at the duty free???
I am thinking of doing HKG-LHR-SFO-DFW-FLL and back to clock up some SC.
I now fly hand carry only for my last 2 trips to the US.
If I cannot even take my Tumi laptop trolly, I'll be pretty @#$%^& off.
I don't want to wait for my luggage anywhere.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:58 am

I thought the knee jerk reactors were only in other countries.

Obviously I'm wrong!

I wonder what size baggie we'll be restricted to. Will we be able to write politically sensitive comments on it without being arrested?

Also, read this article: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

"The Howard Government is also examining new ways of pre-flight screening for passengers including behavioural pattern recognition or profiling in which certain travellers are subject to more rigorous security checks as they prepare to board their aircraft."

They better have got their behavioural screening right. There are certain ethnic groups pre-disposed for rigorous inspection rightly or wrongly. Are they going down that path, or doing the proper thing and looking for certain behaviour traits that indicate someone who should be investigated further?

Should I move to the LOTFAP to be under a better regime?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I thought the knee jerk reactors were only in other countries.

Obviously I'm wrong!

I wonder what size baggie we'll be restricted to. Will we be able to write politically sensitive comments on it without being arrested?

Also, read this article: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

"The Howard Government is also examining new ways of pre-flight screening for passengers including behavioural pattern recognition or profiling in which certain travellers are subject to more rigorous security checks as they prepare to board their aircraft."

They better have got their behavioural screening right. There are certain ethnic groups pre-disposed for rigorous inspection rightly or wrongly. Are they going down that path, or doing the proper thing and looking for certain behaviour traits that indicate someone who should be investigated further?

Should I move to the LOTFAP to be under a better regime?
First Question for all of who make our ticket work for us... Mr/Mrs ____ Why aren't you flying direct... HKG-SFO-FLL... Why are you flying HKG-LHR-SFO-DFW-FLL
All this searching is a crop of s__t, if you have home grown people want to blow things up, it is surely something wrong.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Recent, absurd experiences from travelling ex London... you can only take ONE bag through security. I had a suit with me that I needed to claim VAT back on, so had that, in addition to my cabin bag.

Was stopped at security - only one bag allowed. I puts suit into cabin bag. Clear security, suit comes out. No worries. The airlines don't care, and plenty of people had two or three bags with all their duty free.

Other airports in Europe were not enforcing the one bag rule.

However, on positive side, not once was my (single) bag weighed or sized in one of those bag sizers.

Security was quick both times (11.00am Wed and Fri) when I was at LHR. (Zone R queue was non-existant), other departure was general security and took less than 10 mins.

Regards

LME FF
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Transport Minister Mark Vaile said today that the government would introduce the new hand luggage restrictions in late March.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/cr...081120891.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.