Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SEA - New Zealand or Australia then Tahati

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Looking to play a honeymoon trip. Will fly from Lax of course but are starting out in SEA.

Has anyone done the Australia-New Zealand then Tahati tour? We thinking of spending 3-4 weeks over there. Leaving Sept 19th.

Of course we will be flying cattle as we only have 90k AA and 150k Usair miles.

hmmmm as you can see I am fairly new here. Thanks for your help
Old May 22, 2006, 4:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If you have fixed your departure date, have you managed to get seats on your preferred flights? Award seats are not always available and sometimes impossible. Really, if you don't know where you want to go, it might just depend on what seats you can actually get.

You are lucky because September is not in the school holiday period for my part of Oz. That reduced the competition for seats into SYD.

I presume you are targetting Tahiti (not Tahati)? That means TN or NZ for flights from tahiti to NZ or Oz.

Post more details of your intentions and you might get a more constructuve response!
Old May 22, 2006, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You need to check and book your flights today if you have fixed dates in September. Most months there are only a few days with 2 seats on the same flight available for an award booking. Y should be easier to get than J or F, but you may need to be flexible in your dates. Best to check availability before you start to decide on routing or airline.
Old May 22, 2006, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm not familar with AAdvantage awards - can TN even be combined with QF on a single award? If not then you'll need to use US miles on NZ.
Old May 22, 2006, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Hey I am sorry..

I plan on buying a Ticket

Spending about a week in each place..

We want to leave Lax on Sept 19th.

We are ok with sitting in cattle class but which is best. we would like to go to Tahitii last..
Old May 22, 2006, 6:35 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by og
You are lucky because September is not in the school holiday period for my part of Oz. That reduced the competition for seats into SYD.
It may not be school holidays in NSW, but it is in other states, so some things will be busy and award seats will be limited.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NM
It may not be school holidays in NSW, but it is in other states, so some things will be busy and award seats will be limited.
Oh, I forgot there was anywhere else in Oz apart from SYD . It must be that QF attitude of being Sydney-centric.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:39 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by og
Oh, I forgot there was anywhere else in Oz apart from SYD . It must be that QF attitude of being Sydney-centric.
Note that Tasmanian schools operate on 3 terms (most, if not all other states have moevd to 4 terms) and as such their break starts in the first week of September.
Old May 22, 2006, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kidkelly
...I plan on buying a Ticket

Spending about a week in each place....
You can't do it on QF at reasonable cost. Much cheaper on TN or NZ. QF only works if you leave out the stop in Tahiti. Not sure why you are asking on QF forum as basically QF doesn't fly trans-pacific via PPT. Probably TN is your best bet (they also fly from JFK as well as LAX).
Old May 23, 2006, 3:35 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Wrong airline. You need Air NZ

You would be much better flying Air New Zealand than Qantas.

Why do I say this?

1) Air NZ offer daily departures from SFO as well as LAX,

2) Air NZ allow you to earn miles with US Air (so long as you don't book a deep dicount fare class),

3) Air NZ offer 34 inch seating pitch out of LAX, compared with 31-32 on Qantas. It's a massive difference.

4) Air NZ operate 5 weekly flights from Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane to Papeete (Tahiti) via AKL, and three weekly flights from PPT up to LAX.

5) Air NZ will allow you to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy class on the LAX/SFO-AKL-Australia flight, putting you upstairs with a massive 40 inch seating pitch.

Need I go on? By the way, when you go to "Tahati" make sure you head straight to Moorea and Bora Bora, the world's two most beautiful islands, and don't waste your time on Tahiti island.
Old May 23, 2006, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DCF
... 3) Air NZ offer 34 inch seating pitch out of LAX, compared with 31-32 on Qantas. It's a massive difference. ...
Only issue with this is that "pitch is as pitch does".

You will find just about the same distance between you and the seat in front of you when comparing the WHY seats of NZ with those of QF. This is because Qantas seats are actually 6-8cm slimmer than NZ's, while supplying better support with a similar comfort level.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
serfty - have you been on a NZ 777 or refitted 747 yet? The new economy seats are slimmer than the old ones (and QF seats were never 6-8cm slimmer than NZ, but rather 1-2cm).

NZ's PPT flights are on 767, which have 32" pitch.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Boy did I get a wooping today. So this is the Plan Lax/SFo to OZ... We will be paying for couch so would you still recommend NZ?

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
serfty - have you been on a NZ 777 or refitted 747 yet? The new economy seats are slimmer than the old ones (and QF seats were never 6-8cm slimmer than NZ, but rather 1-2cm).

NZ's PPT flights are on 767, which have 32" pitch.
Old May 23, 2006, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kidkelly
Boy did I get a wooping today. So this is the Plan Lax/SFo to OZ... We will be paying for couch so would you still recommend NZ?
What happened to the Tahiti tour? Is that cancelled? QF does fly non-stop SFO-SYD (seasonal service) and daily LAX-SYD/AKL/BNE/MEL, again non-stop. On QF you can return to SYD-HNL but not via any other island. For QF specials from the US/Canada, see http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...ultiCity/index

You might be interested in the Aussie AirPass.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by number_6
What happened to the Tahiti tour? Is that cancelled? QF does fly non-stop SFO-SYD (seasonal service) and daily LAX-SYD/AKL/BNE/MEL, again non-stop. On QF you can return to SYD-HNL but not via any other island. For QF specials from the US/Canada, see http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...ultiCity/index
SFO-SYD is not seasonal, it operates all year round - the YVR-SFO extension is seasonal.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.