Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F UPGD Possibility on QF11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Platinum Medallion, QF - LTS, Hilton - Diamond, Bonvoy - Gold, IHG - Gold
F UPGD Possibility on QF11

Hi All,

I know this is something that's asked alot, but I'm seeking anyones knowledge or opinions about my points upgrade from J to F on the QF11/11Sep. I've been watching the availability in Sabre for ages and there has typically been been F8 A7 showing, right up until the start of this week, it dropped to F2 A2, an then yesterday it was showing F2 A0. I guess you don't need to be a genius to know that's not looking good, but is that type of inventory fluctuation normal on this flight? Could it be that these are just tentative bookings that may never get ticketed? FWIW, I checked the seat map and there's only 6 or 7 seats assigned.

Any information or insight appreciated. My partner and I are very much looking forward to our first holiday in a while, and flying in F for the first time (and on the A380) would be fab... Only being SG could be another limiting factor, but hey I can dream....

Cheers
Ozvirginuk
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:08 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ozvirginuk
... Only being SG could be another limiting factor, but hey I can dream....
You've chosen a very busy day for the flight (Saturday) and having CL and WPs and other alliance Emeralds in front of you for the upgrade lottery, I'd think you might be dreaming. BUT, stranger things have happened. 1 seat maybe, 2 seats less than maybe. Good luck anyway.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, DL - Platinum Medallion, QF - LTS, Hilton - Diamond, Bonvoy - Gold, IHG - Gold
Originally Posted by og
You've chosen a very busy day for the flight (Saturday) and having CL and WPs and other alliance Emeralds in front of you for the upgrade lottery, I'd think you might be dreaming.
Thanks og.

I know it's a busy day (busier than I hoped!!). Other alliance status holders won't affect my chances as only QFF can use miles to UPGD, so it's just the WP and CL... Shame, as I"ll be WP after this trip... Doh!!

Can anyone else shed any light on the "normal" inventory for this flight number? Are there any patterns which may mean I could have a better chance than it looks right now?? (dreaming I know!)

Oz
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by ozvirginuk
Can anyone else shed any light on the "normal" inventory for this flight number? Are there any patterns which may mean I could have a better chance than it looks right now?? (dreaming I know!)

Oz
It's only anecdotal evidence, but I've found QF11 in First to be regularly full.

I've flown it 3 times this year - two paid and one J-F upgrade - and each flight has had a full F cabin. One flight was a Sunday, the other two were Tuesdays.

Given the HUGE differences between A380 F and 747 F, coupled with QF dropping First on the LAX-JFK leg of QF107, I suspect premium passengers now prefer to fly QF11 into LAX and connect to a 3 class AA flight to JFK, hence higher loads on QF11.

Just looking at booking again in late Sept - my preferred Sunday departure is already A0, and I suspect I only got a seat on the Monday departure as they're flying QF11 as a 747 that day.

That said, as mentioned I did have success back in May with a J-F upgrade from a Business Saver fare (as a platinum) so it may be that the cabin was full due to more upgrades rather than just higher paid seat demand.

Best of luck with the upgrade in any case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.