FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/313689-new-what-french-they-serving-first-thread.html)

tinkybelle Apr 15, 2004 3:53 pm

The NEW -what french are they serving in FIRST thread!

Well it looks like time to travel again.
Hope some of you FT travellers in the point can let me know what Qantas are now serving in First.
Thought Id start a new one as the other got a bit long.

Thanks in advance

og Apr 15, 2004 5:07 pm

Pyjamas are distributed by Express Post four months after the flight. My flight in November was short loaded in PJs - those in 1A and 1K were last on the list (in Z class) to get them. Two emails identifying the problem were unanswered. The nice people in the QF stores rang (four months later) to ask to which address they should post them. They arrived next day.

There was no KRUG in First but brilliant crew who did everything perfectly. We will happily forego the Skybeds in July LHR-SYD and take a left turn on entering (if the waitlist clears).

GoldFlyer Apr 15, 2004 8:51 pm

I like the new pj's and they are so much better than the BA grey ones that make everyone look like they should be doing Tai Chi or something. The QF blue with tan piping look very smart - just right for a very select pyjama party and they also have pockets whereas BA don't.

THe BA amenity is far better though.

Last time I was in QF First it was '96 Moet and Pol Roger in the joint BA/QF lounges.

NM Apr 15, 2004 10:25 pm

Sorry, but they don't serve french fries in any class on Qantas. You may find the occasional serving of chips, but not french fries. The closest thing to french being served is the Fillet Mignon.

And yes, I do know what the original question was really about. But what would the french know about making whisky, anyway ;) .

nonce Apr 16, 2004 1:07 am

Did SYD-HKG-SYD in Feb and got 96 Moet and the new PJ's in First. Old amentities kits however, which are of a lower standard that the new J one I recieved a few weeks early on SYD-LAX. On the way up LaPraire products in the bathroom, on the way back, nothing.

Overall, very unimpressed with the wine list. Even the reds they had all 2000 and younger.

Yes, the new PJ's are nice. Matter of fact I'm wearing the pants now.

Not sure if I would fork out the extra points for F over J next time, especially with skybeds coming on line.

willyroo Apr 16, 2004 3:10 am

Wi-fi greetings from the DOM SYD QP.

Unfortunately no real champagne here - but this thread's a definitive short term "sticky" candidate. :)

Last week in J it was 1997 Mis-en-caves, which I thought was very nice...

GoldFlyer Apr 16, 2004 6:35 am

Oh and Sir Moderator of the QF Forum, just how does one get to be a "sticky" around here apart from spilling your beverage all over the floor and getting stuck in the ensuing evaporation - such a waste but at least in the QP it matters not! BTW, first part of my newest Trip Report {SYD to AKL on a plane} is well, in the Trip Report Forum. ;)

number_6 Apr 16, 2004 9:06 pm

Presumably by "96 Moet in F" it is meant that 96 Dom is being served by QF ... in which case, very (very) commendable and even impressive!!!! The 96 Dom is maybe the 3rd best vintage of the past 100 years (quite a bit better than the 95, for example) and retails for over USD 100 per bottle ... so QF has tripled their champagne budget if this is true. Might explain the poor red wines (they blew all their budget on getting the Dom). A shame as QF used to carry some very fine and reasonably priced reds, St. Henri Shiraz and Leeuwin Art series (the latter even on domestic routes, such as SYD-PER).

tinkybelle Apr 17, 2004 2:54 am

I think they just mean Moet

Originally Posted by number_6
Presumably by "96 Moet in F" it is meant that 96 Dom is being served by QF ... in which case, very (very) commendable and even impressive!!!! The 96 Dom is maybe the 3rd best vintage of the past 100 years (quite a bit better than the 95, for example) and retails for over USD 100 per bottle ... so QF has tripled their champagne budget if this is true. Might explain the poor red wines (they blew all their budget on getting the Dom). A shame as QF used to carry some very fine and reasonably priced reds, St. Henri Shiraz and Leeuwin Art series (the latter even on domestic routes, such as SYD-PER).

No
96 moet vintage is probably not DOM

I havent seen Dom on Qantas ever.
They seem to cut costs where champagne is concerned which is why I started this thread.years ago they servied Krug extensively.
They have also recently served
Henroit
Charles Heidsiech Mis en cave 95.
and assorted other brands
The Moet Vintage 96 is quite nice as a business class product but only worth $A75 a bottle,
Not realy first class stock.
Qantas you still havent improved

nonce Apr 17, 2004 3:33 am

I price the Moet & Chandon Vintage 1996 750ml from Vintage Cellars at $89.99 per case. From memory I got one from Georges in Crows Nest, Sydney for around the $75 mark for Christmas.

FoxPro Apr 17, 2004 7:10 am

SYD-LHR RT QF F $11242
One manages maybe 3 bottles of french bubbly RT during airtime which is hard to enjoy because of the plane movement which stirs your glass while the aircon sucks most aroma out of the glass before one can enjoy it.

SYD-LHR RT QF Y $2675
No French bubbly during the flight. But the $8567 difference buys 155 bottles of excellent Taitinger (at $55 a bottle).

Question: Wnat made this thread a 'sticky'?

number_6 Apr 17, 2004 9:25 am

That is very disappointing. I thought they had announced using Dom exclusively as part of the F service refurbishment. I did have a trip booked with QF a couple of weeks ago (LHR-SYD in F) that I had to cancel at the last minute. Now I'm rebooking it to be via HKG on CX -- that guarantees either Krug or Deutz (both are good) along with some fine red wine (not properly aged, but at least it is over 5 years old). Maybe QF will eventually realize that their choice of champagne costs more revenue than they save. Was I wrong about QF doing a press release on the new F service with better wines and Dom, or have they reneged in implementing what they announced?

tinkybelle Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm

Number_6.
thanks exactly what I am trying to find out.
Maybe the Ftalkers that travel in first dont have time to post as they are to busy making the money to pay for the tickets :D

shillard Apr 18, 2004 2:14 am

French in first?????????

THAT'S why they charge so much for those seats......and they recline too.

Spits for CS & SG, swallows for WP & CL? :D

AshleyF Apr 18, 2004 3:11 am

Sorry, can't remember the champagne 'cept that it wan't Krug, Dom , Moet or anything that I could pronounce sensibly.
The new Oroton travel bags were good. The new pj's made me feel like a bumble bee with the coloured bands in the top across my waist . Thankfully the pants seem to be of better quality than previous and should take a few more washes before the crotch wears out.

The occasional 707 or Henscke seems to have disappeared. Still nice ($30 plus retail wines). De Bortoli sticky to round it off .Steak sandwiches still there for refreshment.

To me the best thing about F is that I can sleep properly . Once the new skybeds come in I doubt that I will be using F again (unless- ho ho - an involuntary upgrade appears).
Food and wine always taste like airline food when you are flying. Sorry , but to me its a waste to pretend that my taste buds are operating the same way at 37K feet . I would much prefer to be given a bottle of the wine to enjoy on the ground .

shillard Apr 18, 2004 3:44 am

Originally Posted by AshleyF
Food and wine always taste like airline food when you are flying. Sorry , but to me its a waste to pretend that my taste buds are operating the same way at 37K feet . I would much prefer to be given a bottle of the wine to enjoy on the ground .

I'm with you mate, I've never understood the fusspot posers who demand this or that wine in J or F. At altitude you can hardly enjoy it, and who on God's clean Earth wants a good red that is still in nappies?

I'm sure the Neil Perry worshipping rocket & balsamic latte set would love to have St Henry aboard QF2 to wash down their steak sandwich, but if it's the current release on sale in bottle shops, that is a tragic waste.

number_6 Apr 18, 2004 10:58 am

Originally Posted by shillard
I'm sure the Neil Perry worshipping rocket & balsamic latte set would love to have St Henry aboard QF2 to wash down their steak sandwich, but if it's the current release on sale in bottle shops, that is a tragic waste.

Last year QF was serving 96 St. Henri and they were very frugal with it (only 4 bottles per flight) so maybe it is still in stock. I didn't think it was a tragic waste.
Vibration and temperature change are the bigger problems for wine on aircraft, rather than altitude. Most of the damage occurs on the ground, esp. if the catering truck is left in the sun (I've seen strawberries that have fermented while waiting to be boarded, for example -- can't believe they left the catering kitchen like that).
Luckily airliners are pressurized to a low enough altitude that it isn't a significant factor for changing the sense of smell when it comes to wine. Do you really think people can't enjoy wine in cities like Johannesburg, Denver, Reno? Or at the jet-set ski resorts in the Alps (where some of the most expensive wine in the world flows like water)? Some of the best wine I've personally had has been above 5000 feet and it did not suffer. Above 10000 feet it does start to be a factor (as does the effects of alcohol).
A dead giveaway on bad wine on an airplane is a metallic taste. Some pinots are vulnerable to this (I think it is caused by vibration), but it can happen to almost any bottle of wine. With reasonable care it is possible for most airlines to serve decent wine and at a decent cost to the airline ... that's why I keep mentioning Leeuwin Art Series, which QF used to serve and was very good wine for the price. In a way the wine choice is a barometer of how well run the airline is (you can't really tell how well the airplane mechanicals are taken care of, but I've always figured that an airline cutting corners on food and wine cost is also cutting corners on everything else they spend money on, including repairing the engines, while an airline that is lavish with food and wine is also lavish on mechanical repairs).

tinkybelle Apr 24, 2004 10:51 pm

SO not a lot of U travel in F!

:D
Thought Id get some answers quicky here :(

Maybe you are al beer drinkers :rolleyes:

Should I take my lowly moet ordinary :mad:

number_6 Apr 25, 2004 12:32 pm

I'm boycotting QF until they delivered the promised upgrades

I've had 4 flights YTD that were booked on QF in F and I've changed them; it didn't start out as a boycott, but the alternatives are so good (and improving), while QF disappoints in the past year. So this is my action plan, ball is now in QF's court. Not that QF cares, the flights I've checked are selling out, at least for the dates and routes that interest me, so QF probably thinks it has lots of happy customers. Of course it could be worse (just flew EI trans-Atlantic, and it makes AA look good).

QF WP Apr 26, 2004 5:06 am

tinkybelle, it's a numbers game:

1. There aren't a lot of QF flights left with a 3-class config
2. There aren't a lot of seats in F
3. They are expensive seats and thus out of the price range for the majority of FT'ers flying QF [whether it's a paid fare (business or personal), op up or award).

Whilst I have been fortunate enough to have flown paid F, I can't say that I was too concerned about what Champagne was served on the flights. Yes, I loved being served champagne, but I've never had the classical "training" to know and taste the difference between a Dom and a Hardy's Regional Reserve Classic Cuvee (though I hope I'd recognise the difference in quality!!).

Truly, I also could also not tell the difference between a JW Blue, Grants or Laphroig (apologies to the diehard Scotch drinkers if I spelled it incorrectly).

I do agree that with the increase in price (and service levels) between classes, there should be a righful expectation of increase in the quality of the alcohol on offer to the pax.

Unfortunately, I cannot give any information towards your quest. Alas, my only chance of flying F in the distant future would be an op up to LHR later this year. I'm not holding my breath...

tinkybelle Apr 30, 2004 11:37 pm

need to know urgently

Just bought a b/c qantas rtw.
Need to know if it is worth using points to upgrade :confused: but if the french isnt up to par :td:

shillard May 3, 2004 6:52 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Need to know if it is worth using points to upgrade :confused: but if the french isnt up to par :td:

Surely you could save on the fare difference by buying a bottle of your preferred poison, and taking it on-board in an esky?

It would be a classy look, if nothing else........

nonce May 3, 2004 1:34 pm

Well there are other reasons why you would upgrade, such as the flat bed and personal movie player. For me however I would be perfectly happy with J on QF and BA as:

On a long haul flight I don't find the F seats any easier to sleep in that J (seats are too hard).
The food and wine and ammenities kits are pretty much the same.
I don't really watch all that many movies, unless it's a day time flight.
I pack my own PJ's.
I get too hot with the doona anyway.
I already get F bag tags and access to the F lounge.

tinkybelle May 3, 2004 3:12 pm

I need new PJs

Originally Posted by nonce
Well there are other reasons why you would upgrade, such as the flat bed and personal movie player. For me however I would be perfectly happy with J on QF and BA as:

I pack my own PJ's.

I already get F bag tags and access to the F lounge.

I dont get the F lounge and the PJs are a year old!

I hate the old J class across the pond.

Alass there are no Z class available on thurs :mad:

bertheike May 3, 2004 4:00 pm

So is it worse to upgrade from D to F on JNB-SYD, if the aircraft shows the new seating with 6 rows in the upperdeck? and how many points it would be for an OW-upgrade ?

Dave Noble May 3, 2004 5:09 pm

Which routing are you thinking of upgrading. If your upgrade is based on what champagne is served, then , imo, it is a waste of points; just buy a bottle of a decent vintage . If travelling on a non-skybed route , then I would upgrade for the comfort. If on a skybed route then I would just stay in J. If unconcerned about the comfort, then I see no reason to spend the points

Dave

tinkybelle May 4, 2004 2:55 am

Couldnt stand the thought of not knowing!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which routing are you thinking of upgrading. upgrade is . If travelling on a non-skybed route , then I would upgrade for the comfort. If on a skybed route then I would just stay in J. If unconcerned about the comfort, then I see no reason to spend the points

Dave

I just upgraded to F. Couldnt stand not having those new jammies!

yes i was on the syd-lax.just confirmed a day later which actually suited me.
virtually no possibility of a skybed.
so ill get to tell u all of the sommiliers choice. :D

Chalkie May 10, 2004 9:07 pm

QF93 in F two Fridays ago it was the Moet 96 vintage. OK, but for around the same price Vevue and Bolly are better.

Forthcoming international F flights on AA, BA and CX (part of an AONE4). Comparisons will be flying thick and fast.

Surprisingly, I had one of the best airline breakfasts I have ever had in AA domestic "F" last week. The service (by an admittedly "veteran" - to say the least - stewardess) was impeccable. The food - delicious. We were served an omelette with a tex mex sauce of some sort containing black beans. The omelette was properly cooked, not dried out and the sauce spicy and tasty. The fresh fruit was all ripe, seemed to be in season, and was flavourful - including one of those monster strawberries they get over here which I bit into with all the anticipation of biting into damp cardboard, only to be surprised that it tasted like a strawberry and was not a nasty woody thing (this made me an instant supporter of GM food if this is what it produces). A warm "biscuit" which was light and flaky completed the meal. The coffee of course resembled a substance which has the colour of dishwater and doubtless tastes the same, but after a couple of weeks in the US one gets used to it.

I cannot say that I am looking forward to my transatlantic crossing with AA in their "F" product, but BA doesn't appear to have a morning flight from ORD to LHR.

tinkybelle May 13, 2004 10:03 am

Vintage Moet 96!

Yes it looks like the Vintage 96 is the offering.

Dont like the new jammies they are not as comfy as the old ones.

Im off on Finnair to HEL tomorrow so will let you know the comparasin.

number_6 May 15, 2004 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chalkie
I cannot say that I am looking forward to my transatlantic crossing with AA in their "F" product, but BA doesn't appear to have a morning flight from ORD to LHR.

Daytime trans-Atlantic on AA is actually quite nice and competitive with BA (you have to go through JFK to get the BA daytime flight to LHR). AA's champagne is Belle Epoque which is quite nice as the finest apple cider in the world (meant in a complementary way, good champagne but it really does taste of apples).

number_6 May 26, 2004 4:27 pm

moet 96 no longer!

Now QF is serving moet 98. Half the wine of the 96, for those who care. And you thought it couldn't get worse? At least this is the case for the kangaroo route, and the QF steak sandwich is no longer available ex-LHR (but is offered for flights leaving Australia, I suppose Australian beef is a bit more popular than British beef for some mad reason).

tinkybelle May 28, 2004 3:38 am

upgrade came through

Well my u/g came through j to f lhr-bkk.
so looks like Ill have to take my fill in the f lounge on 31st.

with all the changes for the lounges and guests etc. can I take someone who is travelling j into the lounge with me?

number_6 May 29, 2004 11:54 am

Well my u/g came through j to f lhr-bkk.
so looks like Ill have to take my fill in the f lounge on 31st.

That won't work either. The Concorde room no longer stocks the nicer champagnes and was serving Belle Epoque on my last 3 visits ... yes, the same champagne that AA serves in F ... never thought BA would stoop to match AA's service levels!!!!! Lots of cutbacks on BA in the past few months, in fact AA F is sometimes better than BA F these days!

Chalkie May 29, 2004 11:36 pm

Well, I survived my trans-Atlantic AA experience. They did indeed serve Belle Epoque, which I also enjoyed in the Concorde Room when departing the UK via LHR. The winner though was Cathay Pacific DXB-HKG - the Krug flew thick and fast, as did the JW Blue. I have to say that Cathay was the winner for the F experience. It won in every category - comfort, food, entertainment and ambience. QF was second (but only just; BA didn't do too badly at all on the sector I flew with them), BA third and AA last.

The AA F experience was a bit odd. The cabin in the 777 was very spacious, but the seats were very uncomfortable. The service was eccentric (more veteran cabin crew who seemed to have left their manners, along with their youth, in the last century (not that veteran status is a bad thing in itself, of course)), as was the food and entertainment system. It struck me as their domestic "F" product on steroids.

Cathay is leading the OneWorld airlines in the J and F service stakes, IMHO. And the service in the Pier F lounge in HKG is unbeatable! I didn't really want to sit down in the restaurant as I had some work to do, so the staff asked whether they could bring me something to my workstation. They asked me what I would like. I said just something like some noodles or dim sum, and some Chinese tea would be lovely thanks. I ended up being brought, with great aplomb, a bowl of wonderfully spicy noodles, some siu mai (dim sims) and char siel pau (BBQ pork buns), and a pot of tea. Talk about heaven on a stick. They also helped me get my dial up connection working and kept popping back to see if everything was OK and was there anything else they could get me.

Cathay also was the only airline which had all metal cutlery, which I rate very highly nowadays. It may have had something to do with the sector being flown. Certainly all those into/out of the US had at least a plastic knife (QF), or all plastic (AA and BA, even on the LHR-DXB sector). Plastic "cutlery" in F. Really! What do they think we are going to do with a metal eating knife? I still think it is one of the most idiotic overreactions in modern times.

number_6 Jun 1, 2004 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Chalkie
Cathay also was the only airline which had all metal cutlery, which I rate very highly nowadays. It may have had something to do with the sector being flown. Certainly all those into/out of the US had at least a plastic knife (QF), or all plastic (AA and BA, even on the LHR-DXB sector). Plastic "cutlery" in F. Really!

CX is now using metal knives for US flights -- apparently the US government has very recently changed the rule banning metal knives. The CX knives are such a pleasure to use (not only metal but with a very nice twisted handle design). For some reason QF is still going with plastic (saving on dishwashing bills?).

tinkybelle Jun 10, 2004 4:21 pm

The Moet runs out on the BKK SYD run.

Just did a First segment BKK-SYD.
I had 2 glases of the vintage and asked 5 hrs in for another and was told it had finished,.

Most people were asleep.

Were they just a lazy crew or does this happen often?

number_6 Jun 10, 2004 7:12 pm

Just did a First segment BKK-SYD.
I had 2 glases of the vintage and asked 5 hrs in for another and was told it had finished,.

It seems to be policy, a new cost saving measure (or worse). Maybe QF has noticed that most people sleep on this leg and eat/drink little. On my flight BKK-SYD there was plenty of food but only half the normal wine complement was loaded ... explanation was that there was an error at the warehouse (needless to say all the cheap wines were available and all the more expensive wines were missing). Looks like all the flights are getting similar errors (or someone is stocking up early for the Christmas party!!!). I was going to let it slide, but either there is a lot of corruption going on or QF has decided to really cut its standards. Either way it looks like a letter or two is in order.

stuartm Jun 16, 2004 9:09 am

Howdy,

Flew in F last week, and in the F QF Lounge in Melbourne they had the Domain Chandon (from the Yarra Valley in Vic) with a nice label of Champagne in front of it.

They obviously used to serve the real stuff, but alas, not even the "real" Moet in there.

SIN F lounge was serving the real stuff, Pol Rodger, then something else - I guess whatever they had left over!.

Flew BA - they had Perrier Jouet..

Stuart

thadocta Jun 16, 2004 9:17 am

Found elsewhere...

Qantas wins awards for its wines.

Sure, it was J wines and this is a FIRST thread, but it was interesting all the same.

Dave

NM Jun 16, 2004 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
Sure, it was J wines and this is a FIRST thread, but it was interesting all the same.

How dare you take a Qantas Board thread like this off topic in such a way? You should know better ;) . Around here, when we go off topic, we go all the way :eek: .