FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QF WP's Mileage Run (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/312799-qf-wps-mileage-run.html)

QF WP Apr 12, 2004 6:46 pm

QF WP's Mileage Run

Now I have been going through withdrawal symptoms...work has kept me in BNE for 3 months (last flight was 19 January!), now my self-diagnosis is that I need to do a MR (to help along the re-qual to WP status again).Thankfully, after being a very very good boy, Mrs QF WP has allowed me a day or two at my leisure.

So after about 3 hours research on Friday PM, now to organise my MR - hoping they are still there now after Easter away on Gold Coast, looking at:

BNE/SYD/CBR/SYD/MEL/SYD/PER (Saturday, 1 May)
PER/SYD/BNE (Sunday May 2, I'll be stuffed, so less flights!)

Flights that I found look like:

BNE/SYD QF501 Dep 0700 Arr 0730 10 SC's
SYD/CBR QF787 Dep 0810 Arr 0905 $181 (SuperSaver BNE/CBR) 10 SC's
CBR/SYD QF704 Dep 0940 Arr 1025 $ 89 (Red E) 10 SC's
SYD/MEL QF427 Dep 1100 Arr 1230 $118 (SS) 10 SC's
MEL/SYD QF438 Dep 1400 Arr 1520 $79 (Red E) 10 SC's
SYD/MEL QF447 Dep 1600 Arr 1730 $97 (Red E) 10 SC's
MEL/PER QF481 Dep 1835 Arr 2035 $169 (Red E) 20 SC's
PER/SYD QF518 Dep 0015 Arr 0620 20 SC's
SYD/BNE QF504 Dep 0705 Arr 0830 $238 (SuperSaver PER/BNE) 10 SC's

At present, $971 for 110 SC's...or $8.82 per SC. Poor comparably to others, but no too shabby for me (my first MR and done when there aren't too many sales around!). Of course, any hints would be gratefully appreciated.

I'll post my actual itinerary and then trip reports as I fly them...

og Apr 12, 2004 9:08 pm

For starters, SYD-ASP in May for about $320 return. Go via MEL and get 60 SCs. Do that with a PER, ADL or DRW return (from SYD) together with your connectors BNE-SYD and you've got more than 110 SCs for much less $ than your trip.

I presume you only need 110 SCs to keep WP? In any case, why go to PER if you only want a 20SC run? - or are one of the rara breed that actually cares where you go rather than sitting in the WHY seat?

There is always the J (D?) run around the eastern seaboard (BNE, SYD, CBR, MEL, ADL and back again - if you can find someone who will sell it to you. This will net a stack of SCs and you won't have to endure the WHY cabin.

If its overseas you want, try BA WT+ in W class SYD MEL SIN LHR HEL LHR SIN MEL SYD. Thats worth 380 SC for whatever you can get the W seat for.

IainF Apr 12, 2004 9:16 pm

MR run

Good Afternoon Mr WP,
I am in Perth about the same time you are but for a few more days...
My schedule is as follows:
BNE - MEL 27/04 QF 617
MEL - ADL 27/04 QF 685

Then
ADL - PER 30/04 QF 595

Then
PER - BNE 03/05 QF 598

Only four flights, but done at a cost of less than $480 for a total of 60 sc's.(and work pays.....Wish I could use K classs)

I will be trying to U/G to j on the PER - BNE leg as I will have been at seeral conferences leading up to this and will need to have a "Human free zone" around me to prevent any crankiness....
Cheers
IainF

QF WP Apr 12, 2004 9:59 pm

Reply to og's post

Og, that's why I thought I'd post this message so I can really learn from those who have done them before. I haven't clocked up an SC since the beginning of my membership year (1 March) :eek: :( , so I want to send my SC's on their way to re-qual WP.

MEL/PER I was doing as the last flight of the day because it's already 6.30pm at that stage and I thought it might be easier to gain some time. BTW, I like PER and it gives me 4 hours to resusitate my body at the QP with some HP's before the flight out (plus, give me a chance to post my TR).

I was trying to look at flights where there are min connections, so that I can squeeze in 2 flights or more @ 10 SC's with roughly the same time (when you include connection time), as 1 flight for 20 SC's. That's my biggest conundrum..shorter flights opr - I really don't care where I go...

I hadn't thought of ASP and I have never been there...maybe that would be an interesting trip... I take it MEL-ASP is 20 SC's, indeed at 1,156 miles it is...same as ASP/PER (1,231) and ASP/SYD (1,257)...hmmm, another nice hub for maxing out SC's...but I suppose flight times willl have to work for me.

Haven't thought about J run, but would it be feasible $-wise??

Ah, the overseas run using W or T was considered but ruled out...there will be a J BNE/LHR later this year for me so that should ensure re-qual for WP. one concessions with Mrs QF WP is that I will only do domestic sectors during this MR.

Back to the QF web site for me then for more research...

IainF, might try and be in PER at the same time then, so we might catch up at the QP for a drink...perhaps even the same flight?? Notice our costs and SC's are relatively the same (but I'm doing more flying, you get 10 SC's more).

lokijuh Apr 12, 2004 10:05 pm

Now if I were in BNE, be tempted to do a run up to Blackwater/Emerald and back. At $194 for 30 SC's (BNE-BLT, BLT-EMD-BNE) it represents a value of $6.46/SC.

swissbignose Apr 12, 2004 11:42 pm

If you're keen, there's always the CBR/MEL/ADL/MEL/CBR (which will take pretty much the whole day) - 40 SCs for the princely sum of $318 (although it might even be possible for $270), and I know you're aware of the magical ADL/BNE route...

But if you're trying to do it on May 1/2, that's a bit tough! :)

lokijuh Apr 13, 2004 12:23 am

You could wipe about $70 off by doing:
SYD-BNE-DRW on QF544/QF828 for $226 (6:05pm from SYD on 1 MAY)
then on DRW-SYD-BNE on QF829/QF504 for $207 (01:15am from DRW on 2 MAY)

instead of the SYD-MEL-PER-SYD-BNE legs

dashman Apr 13, 2004 3:16 am

I agree with others that it could be worth looking for a J run - lately there does seem to have been some good domestic specials and D gives full J SC's. I have to say for your plan at the moment looks a pretty brutal run for 110 SC's. My choice would be to turn your BNE-LHR in to a Done 4 - then you can pull some serious credits with an alternate route home. Ticket cost probably less and just think of the joy of planning it all out.

NM Apr 13, 2004 3:49 am

Originally Posted by dashman
My choice would be to turn your BNE-LHR in to a Done 4 - then you can pull some serious credits with an alternate route home. Ticket cost probably less and just think of the joy of planning it all out.

I can just about hear Mrs QF WP now when she goes to LHR for her return J trip back to BNE after a very pleasent litttle vacation in the UK.

Originally Posted by Mrs QF WP
"What do you mean you "tweaked" the return routing? Isn't it bad enough that we have to spent 90 mins in Singapore for the connection home to Brisbane? What do you mean you think I will enjoy seeing Dubai, Istanbul, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Anchorage, Dallas and Auckland on the way home. You can go to Hell with that routing :mad: ."

to which QF WP replies:

Originally Posted by QF WP
"I was going to include HEL, but we only get 30 SC's to Helsinki, Dubai is much better value."

dashman Apr 13, 2004 4:15 am

not to mention a weekend run to pick up the tickets in BKK with crisp new Baht... Better still Cairo? Oh, and maintain a full-blown web-site to document each and every detail of all 20 sectors (Cheers Steady-Edi for raising the bar).

GoldFlyer Apr 13, 2004 4:36 am

Carefully making notes here. This will become the thread of the year I suspect.

PS noted the new signature tag Quentin. ;) ^

Do I have a story to tell and it more or less fell into my lap.

QF WP Apr 13, 2004 6:12 am

NM, I'm disappointed in you

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story now people :o .

Whilst I'm sure you can all read...sometimes I wonder :rolleyes:. NM, I thought better of you ;) - here I am trying to get some MR info and you successfully sabotage my topic :( (P.S. To remain off-topic sufficiently long enough to answer your question, I cannot do a convoluted routing on the J flights this year. It will be BNE/SIN/LHR/Prague/LHR/HKG/SYD/BNE most likely...)

Anyway, that's getting waaaay off topics, but that's nothing new here :confused: .

Back on topic :cool:, although it will be brutal MR, I am looking to simplify if I can find better flights...some have given excellent ideas. Whilst I've never been to ASP or AYQ, they just don't fit in with my routing this time.

bravoecho Apr 13, 2004 6:30 am

Not meaning to hijack QF WP's quest for knowledge, but seeing that the Brisbane-Emerald run has come up, a quick question for the esteemed ones.

I am looking at doing this run on the 25th of April. QF2406 arrives in Emerald at 18:05 and then the Brisbane return departs at 18:20. I am just asking for trouble as well as a night in the boondocks?

$196 for 30 SC's and 3 hours of my time seems like a pretty good option for a Sunday afternoon.

RichardMEL Apr 13, 2004 7:12 am

Please feel free to do QF438 MEL-SYD on 01May. Why? I'm on it :D You can let me in the QP like a good chap. As I then am coming back on the 332 at 1800 from SYD, also getting into SYD QF for ~3 hours would be mighty fine!

LOL just kidding. Whatever you plan have fun. Just remember the latest sale is supposed to be over but seems to still be going - so book quickly! :)

d00t Apr 13, 2004 11:43 am

Impressive QFWP, I'm proud of you! :D ^

A note with the super savers - they only get discount Y SC.. its usually (especially on bne-syd-cbr runs) worthwhile to pay a few extra bucks ($20-40 more) and booking a Flexi Saver ticket which gets FULL Y SC.

other than that looks fantastic for the non-sale prices! ^

:-: :-: :-:
My favourite SC run is BNE-SYD-CBR-SYD-BNE in J , for ~$1100, its 120 SC - 4 meals and a bucketload of booze ;) not too shabby for a J run which takes up only half a day