FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QF WP's Mileage Run (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/312799-qf-wps-mileage-run.html)

GoldFlyer Apr 17, 2004 8:52 am

Quentin (in F) Winker-Plat,

Surely in amongst all that you could have put in a trip over the ditch to NZ for about the same value in SC's but at least have brought back something duty free for Mrs. QF WP anxiously awaiting your return and still trying to iron the wrinkle out of her forehead. :rolleyes:

The chocolate coated sheep poo is delicious. :D

QF WP Apr 17, 2004 10:28 pm

GoldFlyer, I would prefer to fly on QF operated services and don't have the desire to explain to C&I why I went for a day...prices per SC were about the same so why not see more of Australian QP's?? Sure Intl F QP's are nice...

Kiwi Flyer Apr 17, 2004 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by QF WP
GoldFlyer, I would prefer to fly on QF operated services and don't have the desire to explain to C&I why I went for a day...prices per SC were about the same so why not see more of Australian QP's?? Sure Intl F QP's are nice...

NZ customs at least are well used to same day returns Oz-NZ. There are many people that do this for business trips. Admittedly it is easier doing in the reverse direction - ie NZ-Oz-NZ as you would then have longer to take some domestic flights before the return, and also get better advantage from the time difference.

og Apr 18, 2004 1:19 am

Its even more difficult to explain to JFK C&I why two backpackers smelling of KRUG (or whatever it was) flew Concorde and were going straight back to LHR on the very next flight (next morning). Even worse when my passport refused to scan through their passport reader. Special treatment and special questions.....(this was in Oct 02 so there was no room for humour).

NM Apr 18, 2004 3:03 am

Hmmm, NM's suggestion about short sector K flights being cheaper per SC is correct...

So is all forgiven? Am I back in the good books again? Was I ever in the good books?

Dave Noble Apr 18, 2004 4:27 am

Originally Posted by NM
So is all forgiven? Am I back in the good books again? Was I ever in the good books?

In one good book, I think it starts "In the beginning there was NM, let there be flight" :)

Dave

GoldFlyer Apr 18, 2004 5:42 am

There's no need to clear C&I, either get your forward BP beforehand or go to the transfer desk on arrival. That way you don't need to pay the $25NZ departure tax.

I'm doing another SYD to AKL soon as a day trip, running low on Vodka and cigars so it works out very economical once you take the tax discount off a box of cohiba cigars. :cool:

QF WP Apr 18, 2004 6:03 am

NM, you were never out of the good books, I'd just "spat the dummy" momentarily and now the dummy is firmly placed back in (I wish that I could remember who had previously said that here on this Forum...credit where credit is due!)

Sometimes you just want an answer to your questions and FT'ers (sometime unwittingly) just veer off topic with a comment which, when picked up and responded to by another, means that one has to ever so firmly yank everybody back to reality. The chain worked perfectly this time, there's a good boy, heel ;)

Great comment, Dave Noble. :D

RichardMEL Apr 18, 2004 8:54 am

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
There's no need to clear C&I, either get your forward BP beforehand or go to the transfer desk on arrival. That way you don't need to pay the $25NZ departure tax.

I'm doing another SYD to AKL soon as a day trip, running low on Vodka and cigars so it works out very economical once you take the tax discount off a box of cohiba cigars. :cool:

I wouldn't be worried about Kiwi C&I anyway (I once did a MR MEL-AKL-MEL with only a 8 or so hour overnight stay. No biggie). It's aus C&I you need to worry about, although NZ is a "safe" destination - it's more or less domestic as far as they're concerned I reckon. I doubt C&I would care.

They *do* care for other places though, like the time I did a run to BKK-HKG for 8 hours of Star ferry crossings, peak tram, etc. Flew out 0100 and arrived back next day at 1330 or so. Spent 2 hours with friendly C&I people, and then feds who were convinced I was some sort of drug courier (in an amusing spin, they even asked me at one point if I went to "spend time with a girl" - as though it was acceptable to go all the way to HKG for a "quickie" or something!) LOL. Feds were none too impressed with being dragged away from the cricket to come talk to me since I was obviously just a (harmless) freak. Moral of story: Do MR to/via places that aren't middle of Golden Triangles :)

NM Apr 18, 2004 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In one good book, I think it starts "In the beginning there was NM, let there be flight" :)

Dave

Oh yes, of course, the first documented baseball game :D .

Remember the next phrase goes "and it was good", which implies that NM turned left on entry ;).

Now, what was the first documented case of consipation?

(sorry QF WP, I have done it again :o - but what else do you expet from me :rolleyes: ).

QF WP Apr 23, 2004 8:19 am

NM, well at least you only alluded to going off-topic and luckily it failed to materialise.

Now just checking to see whether, with the new fare sale on, there are any other decent fares to add to my trip...

QF WP Apr 23, 2004 6:50 pm

IainF, as I have 4 hours in PER on Sat 1 May late PM, is there any liklihood that you are going to be free to shgare a drink somewhere (I can always come into PER for a drink, I'll have my BP).

The only negative is if I haven't been able to get a confirmed upgrade prior to the flight and I am trying to use an ODU - perhaps I need to be at QP to ensure that I get it...

GoldFlyer Apr 29, 2004 6:01 am

I'm sure all on the QF Forum will be wishing Quentin a great trip/s this weekend. I'm booked for the hairdresser at about the same time as he will be bouncing back into SYD for the 2nd or is it 3rd time? I lost count but I did copy the itinerary to my desktop so I can check to see that he makes his connections allright. Have a great time and I hope that you manage to get a comfy seat in the business class on the way back from Perth, you are sure going to need and deserve it. ^ ^ I only hope they are giving a decent lecture to keep you stimulated - a waste otherwise and you're sure to fall asleep all the way through it. :D

QF WP Apr 29, 2004 7:58 am

Thanks, Goldflyer

Actually, I am talking to QF Res as I am typing this (multi-tasking) trying to lock down those elusive U seats on my MEL/PER as well as (but preferably) PER/SYD sectors. The CSA said J9 on both sectors, so looking marginally good for both ways at present with 40 hours to go.

Just been on the phone to "ghost" all the sectors onto the first reloc and then link all relocs to the next one in order. Found an excellent Res CSA in Tassie who wondered why I was doing so many sectors in such a little time...he laughed when he found out I was doing a Status Run.

QF WP Apr 30, 2004 5:39 am

MR: T minus 8hrs 25 mins

OK, packed to go and ready to grab some sleep before the big day...

Just so you know what I've packed in my QFF bag:

- Ken Follett's "Triple" (thanks to my wife)
- various industry magazines
- Sony Digital Handicam DCR-TRV22E with 64MG Memory Stick (300-odd photo's)
- Sony Walkman D-E225 (with 4 rechargeable batteries, fully juiced)
- various CD's
- spare t-Shirt and Long Sleeved Shirt (for Sunday AM)
- toiletries

Photo's will be taken at each QP of:

- Reception
- Service Desk
- Bar (and contents of Fridge and Wines)
- Food Servery (and items)
- FT Corners (including the newly christened corners at CBR and PER)

In addition, photo's of all planes that I have the pleasure to fly in (where possible)...if you have any particular photo's you want taken, let me know here.

If you happen to be in a QP and see a tall guy in a FT t-shirt stagger by, that'll be me! After all, I will be sampling the HP at SYD, MEL, PER (just to make sure that thery're OK for general consumption).

I'll be logging in at the respective QP's, time permitting, but I won't have time to do a complete TR at each stop as for most of my stopovers I have minimum connections. I'll log in to see if there are any questions etc, and advising where I've arrived at each QP.

I'm going to leave that TR until next weekend when I have completed the story. It'll be a monster...