FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Jetstar Asia Not Getting It [offering voucher instead of refund] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/2013184-jetstar-asia-not-getting-offering-voucher-instead-refund.html)

NWplatinum Mar 16, 2020 8:31 am

Jetstar Asia Not Getting It [offering voucher instead of refund]

I booked a flight from SIN-PNH about five days ago on Jetstar. Since that time, the minister of health for Cambodia has come out and said certain EU and US passport holders are no longer able to enter the country for thirty days.

When I called Jetstar about this they told me they’d only issue me a voucher, not a refund. I didn’t want a voucher, but they refused to give me a refund. I tried explaining this was not a regular coronavirus case. That the destination country won’t let me in. They don’t care, voucher take it or leave it. Surely they’ve been parroting the same line to everyone for the last few weeks that they can’t see this is a more unique situation.

I don’t want a voucher because I don’t live in that part of the world. What else can I do?

DownUnderFlyer Mar 16, 2020 8:58 am

[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]

Often1 Mar 16, 2020 9:01 am

This is happening with many LCC's around the world. Bottom line is that if the carrier does operate the flight and you can't make it, it is down to your travel insurance.

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 9:03 am

Sorry, but as in a similar thread, I do agree that this is down to travel insurance.

Mwenenzi Mar 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32193179)
This is happening with many LCC's around the world. Bottom line is that if the carrier does operate the flight and you can't make it, it is down to your travel insurance.

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32193184)
Sorry, but as in a similar thread, I do agree that this is down to travel insurance.

When is the flight & cost?
The passenger is always required to have the correct & acceptable documentation for entry into a country. If the government changes the rules after buying a ticket so be-it: the passengers problem.
To me better not to cancel anything until the last possible time (if they can be contacted). The operators may be cancelling or changing the service which should/may make it easier for a refund, hopefully in cash.

Often1 Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

That goes without saying. FT is full of people expressing concern about vouchers and credits if they cancel flights months from now. There is no reason to do so. With the likelihood of further massive cuts in capacity, a good chance that pretty much any service may be cancelled and if that happens, it's refund time.

Firemansam Mar 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32193184)

And virtually all travel insurance is now nullified that a pandemic has been declared, so throwing the travel insurance line around at the moment is basically useless.

Also, I get people want to travel but buying a ticket 5 days ago and now surprised that entry requirements have changed and wants a refund, I wouldn't be buying any tickets right now anywhere unless it's necessary travel.

nancypants Mar 16, 2020 5:24 pm

I stumped up the extra for a max bundle so mine is fully refundable either way 🤷🏻‍♀️

Dave Noble Mar 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 32195190)
I stumped up the extra for a max bundle so mine is fully refundable either way 🤷🏻‍♀️

Are you sure? looking at Jetstar bundle details, it reads that the Max allows for a credit voucher in case of cancellation

lokijuh Mar 16, 2020 7:18 pm

On the flipside of this, if every airline started providing cash back for every passenger that couldn't travel due to government requirements, airlines would run out of cash very quickly. Extraordinary times we are living in. I'm afraid we all have to share some pain. The airlines might be soulless corporations, but they employ thousands of individuals facing much more to lose than a few hundred dollars .....

nancypants Mar 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32195420)
Are you sure? looking at Jetstar bundle details, it reads that the Max allows for a credit voucher in case of cancellation

I just read the fare rules as booked- cash refund less $50 which is small potatoes. Voucher for full value as alternative

addit: decided to put my money where my mouth is and actually it’s pinged me a full refund without the $50 fee so...

invisible Mar 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 32193052)
What else can I do?

In short - nothing. Take it or leave it.

I'm sorry to say this but I live in this part of the world and have dealt with Asian LCC, even before this hell started, their standard policy is to not issue refunds, only vouchers and it is written in their T/C.

What you can do is ask them to give you a voucher which is not attached on your name - means anyone can use it - and give that voucher with validity of one year or longer. Then sell that voucher (if there are any takers) at ebay or local markets like sg.carousell.com or similar for Australia.

​​​​​​​

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Firemansam (Post 32194910)
And virtually all travel insurance is now nullified that a pandemic has been declared, so throwing the travel insurance line around at the moment is basically useless.

Also, I get people want to travel but buying a ticket 5 days ago and now surprised that entry requirements have changed and wants a refund, I wouldn't be buying any tickets right now anywhere unless it's necessary travel.

That is not the case. Having checked yesterday, my annual travel insurance policy is in full effect.

invisible Mar 16, 2020 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32196116)
That is not the case. Having checked yesterday, my annual travel insurance policy is in full effect.

Do you really want to test it?

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 32196119)
Do you really want to test it?

In the context of my reply, which concerns refunds for flights I’m not able to take, yes.