Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar Asia Not Getting It [offering voucher instead of refund]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

I booked a flight from SIN-PNH about five days ago on Jetstar. Since that time, the minister of health for Cambodia has come out and said certain EU and US passport holders are no longer able to enter the country for thirty days.

When I called Jetstar about this they told me they’d only issue me a voucher, not a refund. I didn’t want a voucher, but they refused to give me a refund. I tried explaining this was not a regular coronavirus case. That the destination country won’t let me in. They don’t care, voucher take it or leave it. Surely they’ve been parroting the same line to everyone for the last few weeks that they can’t see this is a more unique situation.

I don’t want a voucher because I don’t live in that part of the world. What else can I do?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:58 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is happening with many LCC's around the world. Bottom line is that if the carrier does operate the flight and you can't make it, it is down to your travel insurance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry, but as in a similar thread, I do agree that this is down to travel insurance.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This is happening with many LCC's around the world. Bottom line is that if the carrier does operate the flight and you can't make it, it is down to your travel insurance.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sorry, but as in a similar thread, I do agree that this is down to travel insurance.
When is the flight & cost?
The passenger is always required to have the correct & acceptable documentation for entry into a country. If the government changes the rules after buying a ticket so be-it: the passengers problem.
To me better not to cancel anything until the last possible time (if they can be contacted). The operators may be cancelling or changing the service which should/may make it easier for a refund, hopefully in cash.
NWplatinum and Blackcloud like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That goes without saying. FT is full of people expressing concern about vouchers and credits if they cancel flights months from now. There is no reason to do so. With the likelihood of further massive cuts in capacity, a good chance that pretty much any service may be cancelled and if that happens, it's refund time.
Mwenenzi and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:08 pm

And virtually all travel insurance is now nullified that a pandemic has been declared, so throwing the travel insurance line around at the moment is basically useless.

Also, I get people want to travel but buying a ticket 5 days ago and now surprised that entry requirements have changed and wants a refund, I wouldn't be buying any tickets right now anywhere unless it's necessary travel.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: QF WP
I stumped up the extra for a max bundle so mine is fully refundable either way 🤷🏻‍♀️
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nancypants
I stumped up the extra for a max bundle so mine is fully refundable either way 🤷🏻‍♀️
Are you sure? looking at Jetstar bundle details, it reads that the Max allows for a credit voucher in case of cancellation
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
On the flipside of this, if every airline started providing cash back for every passenger that couldn't travel due to government requirements, airlines would run out of cash very quickly. Extraordinary times we are living in. I'm afraid we all have to share some pain. The airlines might be soulless corporations, but they employ thousands of individuals facing much more to lose than a few hundred dollars .....
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you sure? looking at Jetstar bundle details, it reads that the Max allows for a credit voucher in case of cancellation
I just read the fare rules as booked- cash refund less $50 which is small potatoes. Voucher for full value as alternative

addit: decided to put my money where my mouth is and actually it’s pinged me a full refund without the $50 fee so...

Last edited by nancypants; Mar 16, 2020 at 8:18 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
What else can I do?
In short - nothing. Take it or leave it.

I'm sorry to say this but I live in this part of the world and have dealt with Asian LCC, even before this hell started, their standard policy is to not issue refunds, only vouchers and it is written in their T/C.

What you can do is ask them to give you a voucher which is not attached on your name - means anyone can use it - and give that voucher with validity of one year or longer. Then sell that voucher (if there are any takers) at ebay or local markets like sg.carousell.com or similar for Australia.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Firemansam
And virtually all travel insurance is now nullified that a pandemic has been declared, so throwing the travel insurance line around at the moment is basically useless.

Also, I get people want to travel but buying a ticket 5 days ago and now surprised that entry requirements have changed and wants a refund, I wouldn't be buying any tickets right now anywhere unless it's necessary travel.
That is not the case. Having checked yesterday, my annual travel insurance policy is in full effect.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
That is not the case. Having checked yesterday, my annual travel insurance policy is in full effect.
Do you really want to test it?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Do you really want to test it?
In the context of my reply, which concerns refunds for flights I’m not able to take, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.