Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Launches Flight for Frequent Flyer Redemption Only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 1:22 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Interesting announcement from Qantas.

"Qantas has announced the first of a series of dedicated Frequent Flyer redemption flights across its network with seats only available to members redeeming Qantas Points.The inaugural Points Plane will be an Airbus A380 operating from Melbourne to Tokyo (Narita) on 21 October 2019, with Qantas Frequent Flyers able to book seats from Thursday 16 May.The concept is one of many Qantas Loyalty is exploring to reward Qantas Frequent Flyer members and provide even more redemption opportunities.Members will be able to book any seat on board (14 First, 64 Business, 35 Premium Economy and 371 Economy seats) at the standard Qantas Points redemption rate for the route. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum members will all have equal opportunity to secure a booking on dedicated Points Plane flights"
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...r-redemptions/.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Sounds like spin to me. Could be a great way to make positioning of an otherwise zero pax flight profitable (or at least get some revenue from FF sales and carrier charges). Huge media advantage gained from this.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by og
Sounds like spin to me. Could be a great way to make positioning of an otherwise zero pax flight profitable (or at least get some revenue from FF sales and carrier charges). Huge media advantage gained from this.
So can we take it as a confident prediction by QF that the team will be coming home from the World Cup immediately after the quarter-finals?

FWIW, I had a look at the MEL-NRT-MEL schedules, about which I knew nothing before. In the w/c 21 October, the (normally daily) flights are interrupted in that MEL-NRT is non-op on 21 October, and NRT-MEL is non-op on 21 October and 26 October. So it looks like the 26 October NRT-MEL Points Plane may just be the aircraft that would otherwise have operated the standard NRT-MEL flight.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:10 am
DML

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, HHonors Diamond
The lounges at both ends are likely to be packed out for a start. Imagine the queue for priority boarding 😂
Old May 13, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So can we take it as a confident prediction by QF that the team will be coming home from the World Cup immediately after the quarter-finals? ...
It's likely more for the Moto GP as they would be transporting from Tokyo (Motegi on 20th Oct) to Melbourne (Phillip Island on 27th Oct).

Those dates are locked in far more than whether the Wallabies make the World Cup finals or not.
moa999 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Qantas
The booking is 1 way only so most will have to pay for the return flight.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
It's likely more for the Moto GP as they would be transporting from Tokyo (Motegi on 20th Oct) to Melbourne (Phillip Island on 27th Oct).

Those dates are locked in far more than whether the Wallabies make the World Cup finals or not.
Rats. Facts can be very inconvenient.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:29 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Volvo Mike
The booking is 1 way only so most will have to pay for the return flight.
I read elsewhere that there would be a return FFers 330 flight about a week later.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
I read elsewhere that there would be a return FFers 330 flight about a week later.
26 October, evidently in place of the normal NRT-MEL.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Is there a reason they couldn't just put the flight into the schedule and sell it? Is it prohibited by the charter agreement, where the cost of the return leg is baked in?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Is there a reason they couldn't just put the flight into the schedule and sell it? Is it prohibited by the charter agreement, where the cost of the return leg is baked in?
Apparently the flight was originally loaded into the GDS like any other commercial flight before this announcement. I wonder if there were any cash bookings and if so, what happens to those?
Old May 14, 2019, 7:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eminere
Apparently the flight was originally loaded into the GDS like any other commercial flight before this announcement. I wonder if there were any cash bookings and if so, what happens to those?
For early cash bookings, it should be just like an ordinary flight (miles, SCs, cabin service etc). I’d hope that the in cabin service and amenities are not downgraded just for these special flights.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:50 pm

Imagine being on a flight full of freeloaders. It would be like... well...being on a plane full of Flyertalkers.

Maybe they could borrow a 737MAX and have a flight just for politicians
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og

For early cash bookings, it should be just like an ordinary flight (miles, SCs, cabin service etc). I’d hope that the in cabin service and amenities are not downgraded just for these special flights.
Based on the description given by the airline, I would expect that these passengers will have been moved to other fligths or its whole announcement is false
Old May 15, 2019, 3:06 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Just booked a seat in F. Was surprised it was available. Seat map showed like 4 seats left. I guess booking when they first opened the flight for bookings helped

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.