Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD T1 Outbound Express Path Closed

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
SYD T1 Outbound Express Path Closed

Read on Australian Business Traveller that Express Path Outbound at Sydney T1 has been closed until August due to construction.

Has this gone into effect?

Do you think Qantas will attempt to mediate the situation for their premium passengers?
Old May 5, 2019, 6:16 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The last few times I used this there was almost no difference between the channels. Maybe I have been lucky.
jridge, RTWFF and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Do you think Qantas will attempt to mediate the situation for their premium passengers?
Who are they going to mediate between?
moa999 and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Short versus long lines.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Yes
Old May 5, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Short versus long lines.
That’s not “mediate”. The closest word is “remediate”.

If it’s an airport problem what can they do?
RTWFF and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
That’s not “mediate”. The closest word is “remediate”.
Surely what they'd be attempting is to mitigate?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the airline supposed to do if the facility is closed? Services such as fast track can only be provided where an airport provides the facility
Old May 5, 2019, 11:44 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the airline supposed to do if the facility is closed? Services such as fast track can only be provided where an airport provides the facility
They could work with the airport to have a temporary arrangement for premium passengers (and premium might be defined differently for this purpose): Using the staff entrance, random back door access etc.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
They could work with the airport to have a temporary arrangement for premium passengers (and premium might be defined differently for this purpose): Using the staff entrance, random back door access etc.
Precisely: surely there must be some alternative solution possible? This affects all airlines, not just QF, so collectively they would have a bit of clout.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
maybe it could have worked with the airport - though would expect that if a temporary replacement was to have been created , it would have been created for all airlines that use express path and not something put in place for 1 airline

Cannot really expect airline to offer a fast track where an airport doesn't offer it

As mentioned - with the self service passport checking machines now, passport control is nowhere near as bad as it once was
Blackcloud and nancypants like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Read on Australian Business Traveller that Express Path Outbound at Sydney T1 has been closed until August due to construction.

It was indeed closed this morning. No effort noticed that QF did anything to mitigate the effects but in their defence, it wasn't very busy this morning.

But to be honest, they could have done something with good old tensa barriers to be honest.

What are they constructing, more shops??!?
Old May 6, 2019, 2:50 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

maybe it could have worked with the airport - though would expect that if a temporary replacement was to have been created , it would have been created for all airlines that use express path and not something put in place for 1 airline
Sydney Airport will do this for whoever pays. So if QF would have wanted a QF only solution I am sure they would have been able to get this. Maybe just for people departing on QF F. Or P1s. Or only left handed WPs. You do find airline specific solutions at other airports. Fraport has dedicated facilities just for Lufthansa which no other airline can use for example. Then again, would have, could have.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
As mentioned - with the self service passport checking machines now, passport control is nowhere near as bad as it once was
I find these day where express pass helps most is at security - not passport control, although I've only passed through SYD a couple of times in the last two years, it did seem to help a bit (although not as much as at MEL, where security happens before immigration).
Old May 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I was flying AA in J last Friday on SYD to LAX. I did check-in online but always go and get a paper pass precisely to get the express pass to slide through security. There was an Agent there who guided anyone who normally would get the express pass through their own modified express way. Basically she just ushered me through the disabled entrance which probably got me in front of 20-30 passengers. After that I was just moving along like anyone travelling that day. It would have been helpful had the line been long but probably saved me 5 minutes max. As others have stated, the main benefit is with the security line. I was able to get behind 1 person waiting at the self service passport machines. I'll be doing the trip again in mid-August so will be interested to see if the express path is back.

All this being said, if you are relying on the express path it's probably worth arriving an extra few minutes early to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.