Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas A330 Biz or Emirates 777ER First SIN-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas A330 Biz or Emirates 777ER First SIN-MEL

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ps107
I've noticed VH-EBG has been operating MEL-SIN-MEL fairly regularly over the last week or two. It's not necessarily bad in my opinion, but might not align with expectations.

How would you rate this compared to the QF A380 business (current). Not the supposed refurb which Qantas are now silent about..
Old May 1, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

MEL to SIN seems to be the peasant route, always seems to get the oldest aircraft lol.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Qantas
Last night EBG was QF25 to Haneda and a good mate was row 4 with his family. I'd say rows 1 - 4 would be better than J on the 380.
Aidan likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Aidan

How would you rate this compared to the QF A380 business (current). Not the supposed refurb which Qantas are now silent about..
While the current A380 seats suffer from 'droop', the EBG seats are angled lie-flats with a significant incline. I'd take the A380 over the 2-2-2 A330 any day. (Not sure how these could be considered 'better' than an A380?)
Old May 1, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by number_6
You obviously stay away from their wine list ... quite a few great Italian wines not often found but costing up to $3000 per bottle. Their house Amarone is a bargain at $125 per carafe.
days like this I am so glad I’m not a big wine drinker!
Old May 1, 2019, 7:13 pm

It was comfortable enough for me, but flat(ish) A380 version would be better.

IFE was crap but didn't bother me because I just wanted to sleep. It's somewhat AVOD but all the episodes of shows are back to back on one long video so you have to fast forward/rewind if you're looking for a specific episode. It's also very unreliable and the screen is tiny.

I heard someone complaining about the US style power outlets. I don't think it had USB either but I didn't look very hard.

For me the 27/28 chance of getting the good version was worth the risk of booking 330 vs 380 with minimal downside risk.

I would expect all the 330s will be refurbished before your flight in January.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Thinking I will book the A380 on the way up as it’s a better suited time.
I will have a 1/16 chance probably of a refurbed A380 haha. 7 hours I’m sure I will survive, with my strong economy background.

Thinking I will try the 777er EK First. I can then make my own decision if it’s worth it. Sniper at the right price... 😊
Old May 6, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I wouldn't pay $1k extra for EK F. If the aim is to be transported from A to B, in a bit of comfort, QF J is probably the way to go. If the aim is to enjoy the experience, I would consider EK J, despite poorer hard product, as the timing of the flights is great (well for me personally). It's quite an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon/evening. It doesn't waste a whole day, but conversely you don't have to put up with a 6.5 hr overnight flight that arrives at 3 or 4am body clock time.
Aidan likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I wouldn't pay $1k extra for EK F. If the aim is to be transported from A to B, in a bit of comfort, QF J is probably the way to go. If the aim is to enjoy the experience, I would consider EK J, despite poorer hard product, as the timing of the flights is great (well for me personally). It's quite an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon/evening. It doesn't waste a whole day, but conversely you don't have to put up with a 6.5 hr overnight flight that arrives at 3 or 4am body clock time.

I ended up booking PE return with QF. Will Save the points I was going to use to for MEL-SIN business class and put them towards a longer Europe trip going Qatar business.
Got a MEL-SIN return Qantas PE for $1700 AUD return during the peak of Chinese New Year 2020. Was way cheaper than Jetstar business ($2400AUD) lol.

Definitely a downgrade from business or first but at these prices I couldn't resist.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I ended up booking PE return with QF. Will Save the points I was going to use to for MEL-SIN business class and put them towards a longer Europe trip going Qatar business.
Got a MEL-SIN return Qantas PE for $1700 AUD return during the peak of Chinese New Year 2020. Was way cheaper than Jetstar business ($2400AUD) lol.

Definitely a downgrade from business or first but at these prices I couldn't resist.
If you are travelling on daytime services, PE is a great option
Old May 7, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are travelling on daytime services, PE is a great option
Will work northbound, but QF don't do daytime services from Asia to eastern Australia, so won't work southbound (only exception, they do put their code on EK's daytime services SIN-MEL/BNE but no PE on these ).
Old May 7, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Yeah one night flight on the way back. Maybe tempted to play upgrade lottery with points. Really will be a lottery with my bronze qff status 😅.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Will work northbound, but QF don't do daytime services from Asia to eastern Australia, so won't work southbound (only exception, they do put their code on EK's daytime services SIN-MEL/BNE but no PE on these ).
That's a good reason not to use Qantas from Asia to Australia in my book
Old May 7, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That's a good reason not to use Qantas from Asia to Australia in my book
All for the love of Qantas points !
Old May 7, 2019, 5:52 am

All for the love of Qantas points !
Ah - treat points as the outcome of travel ; not travel to be the outcome of points
WLG Base and Aidan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.