Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

QF is wet leasing two A330’s from AY and will be operating SYD-SIN from late Oct and SYD-BKK next year.

I rate the Air Lounge as one of the best J hard products I have flown so this is brilliant news.

QANTAS News Room
harri and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Princess fiona; May 20, 2023 at 12:24 am
Old May 19, 2023, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The matching AY media report
Finnair to lease two A330 aircraft to oneworld partner Qantas
<snip>
During the wet lease period, the aircraft will be deployed in Qantas’ network on routes from Sydney and Singapore as well as Sydney and Bangkok. Finnair pilots will fly scheduled Finnair flights from Helsinki to Singapore and from Helsinki to Bangkok; then, they will continue flying scheduled Qantas flights between Singapore, Bangkok and Sydney before returning to their home base in Helsinki. The cabin crew are provided by Finnair partners based in Singapore and Bangkok, and the aircraft maintenance is performed by Finnair partners at the Qantas destinations. Finnair has secured sufficient pilot resources to match its fleet size, including the aircraft leased to Qantas. The Qantas agreement does not impact the number of cabin crew at Finnair, as they are fully deployed in other operations.
<snip>
Princess fiona and nancypants like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
QF is wet leasing two A330’s from AY and will be operating SYD-SIN from late Oct and SYD-BKK next year.

I rate the Air Lounge as one if the best J hard products I have flown so this is brilliant news.
A friend who flew in it said, "THE most comfortable seats on any plane I’ve ever been on. Seriously good. Cannot fault them."

Looks like Qantas flyers are in for a real proper treat over the standard business class seating on offer.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So now QF flyers will realise what they have been sadly missing out on - better seats, better service, heard that food will unfortunately remain the same as the QF standard.

There was another report that the the QF pilots are not impressed that QF is wet leasing at the same time as it is converting two A330s into cargo. Of course I am sure that QF have run the numbers but it makes an easy beat up QF story.

KF
nancypants likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
So now QF flyers will realise what they have been sadly missing out on - better service, heard that food will unfortunately remain the same as the QF standard.
If you believe that service and food on Finnair are good then you clearly don't closely follow the FinnairPlus forum on Flyertalk!
Princess fiona likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
The Finnair seats are a good concept I just found them too hard (not enough cushioning) the supplementary pillows they provide were too thin to make it comfortable for a long day time flight.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
If you believe that service and food on Finnair are good then you clearly don't closely follow the FinnairPlus forum on Flyertalk!
I guess being Scandinavian, I quite enjoy some of their options, which could be more a refection on how bad SAS has become. Or on how bad I find QF food. Sloppy lasagne and braised beef too often, 1/3 salad option, 1/3 some weird plant based option leaves 1/3 left for the 90% of the cabin who prefer meat based food. And the best was when my son on a child's meal and meal time received a banana and a kit kat! The bread is good though and desert could be more inspired than a Lindt ball.

Anyway I am keen to try the Finnair seats so this is a positive. AY are currently wet leasing to BA, QR and now QF - maybe others?

KF
Old May 20, 2023, 2:43 am

Haha - read any forum on FlyerTalk and you'd be forgiven for thinking that airlines were in the job of slapping passengers across the face for being there, then being huffily served gruel

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I guess being Scandinavian, I quite enjoy some of their options, which could be more a refection on how bad SAS has become. Or on how bad I find QF food. Sloppy lasagne and braised beef too often, 1/3 salad option, 1/3 some weird plant based option leaves 1/3 left for the 90% of the cabin who prefer meat based food. And the best was when my son on a child's meal and meal time received a banana and a kit kat! The bread is good though and desert could be more inspired than a Lindt ball.

Anyway I am keen to try the Finnair seats so this is a positive. AY are currently wet leasing to BA, QR and now QF - maybe others?
For A$1,800 return in domestic business class, a single Lindt chocolate ball for dessert and no starter is astonishingly poor. I'm really glad I moved to Europe so I could get really nice business class meals for about a quarter of the price.

I think the AY press release said that was the last piece of their profitability transformation, so I think that is it.
Old May 20, 2023, 2:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
For A$1,800 return in domestic business class, a single Lindt chocolate ball for dessert and no starter is astonishingly poor. I'm really glad I moved to Europe so I could get really nice business class meals for about a quarter of the price.
And don't forget QF's gloating that "increased capacity will help force down fares" or something like this. In other words, its not our fault that fares are high.
Old May 20, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
And maybe QF will realize there IS a market for premium economy between eastern Australia and SE Asia?
would improve many people's wandering
Fred
Old May 20, 2023, 11:20 am

the food and service concept will be the same as on QF.
Old May 20, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by nordic
the food and service concept will be the same as on QF.
Which it seems is in a race to the bottom with Finnair
Old May 21, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
The Finnair seats are a good concept I just found them too hard (not enough cushioning) the supplementary pillows they provide were too thin to make it comfortable for a long day time flight.
I've mentioned this in the AY forum, but if you have mobility issues, such as my dad, this new J chair is a challenge. He's coming to visit us in US flying AY to DFW, and decided to book PE vs. J although he could easily afford the later. Just to set expectation for the QF crowd if this is a concern for you.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Haha - read any forum on FlyerTalk and you'd be forgiven for thinking that airlines were in the job of slapping passengers across the face for being there, then being huffily served gruel

I think the AY press release said that was the last piece of their profitability transformation, so I think that is it.
Which is a fair point, but most of the time that business class ticket gets you an economy seat with the middle blocked, if flying intra-Europe.
Old May 21, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Which is a fair point, but most of the time that business class ticket gets you an economy seat with the middle blocked, if flying intra-Europe.
This old chestnut!

I'm fine to live with the middle seat free when I am routinely paying under A$400 return for a DUB-LHR-DUB in Club Europe, with my proper three course meal. The seat is not worth A$1,400 extra for a flight of 90 minutes block time, but that's exactly what Qantas charge and then provide a weaker food offering.

The lack of competition in Australia makes it this way, unfortunately (though, that being said, BA has no competition on DUB-LHR-DUB either when it comes to a J cabin).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.