Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas 787-9 Premium economy (the good and the bad premium window seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Lets get deep into the conclusions with the Qantas 787-9 on the 'Premium economy seating group'
Very little has been said yet. But i like to give the Positive and the Negative about where one should select of choice of seat availability at the time.

Ive watch youtube videos they say if you like the Window seat you get like basically 2 windows for you. But very little been said that what happens if the person infront of you recline his/her seat back and then that first window you had in your view is now basically blocked because the person in front of you has recline his seat. Does this then mean the person in front of you owns that window for his favor?

Its a little hard to explain unless you look at it perspective point of view with the videos and photos for the 787-9 dreamliner (Premium economy)

It seems that every window seat has like 2 windows for yourself. Well i think row 22 for a window seat. Shows you have 1 window near you and another alittle further next to it. Thinking both windows are all yours But if the person recline his seat.. then that second window you had is now... rather blocked away because the person in front of you has reclined back and then does this mean the person infront of you can do what he/she prefers if the person wants to dim the window down or dim it up? Yes there is a button for the windows that makes the window like dark or day by pressing a single button.

That's what no one has talked about. Sure i am rambling about something that isn't really that entirely important. But since well if you do travel long haul flight international on the Dreamliner then you don't want all of suddently have the person in front of you taking over that second window you have in your row just because the person blocks it by recline the seat back. It's... rather dificult to say really because i haven't flown with the dreamliner yet but im just rather curious. Sure everyone wants comfortable and pease of mind... But who knows what one can expect right ? But im just curiosity and would like to hear these who have flown with the dreamliner on the Premium economy seating group.

Just so we don't get confused there is row 20 / 21 / 22 / 23. so 4 rows and very limit for premium seats on the Qantas 787-9
I notice by studying videos and reviews (oh though only by what i only see what people are showing on youtube and reviews)
Looks like row 20 for window is pretty good no one else infront of you. But downside is unable to take out the tv screens departing and landing (not sure for how long though) Plus you are unable to put bags or anything infront of you as there is no secure to leave things tight.

Row 21 is ok. 22 as well and of course back row 23. With Row window 23 you can recline your sear as long as you wish because there is no one seating behind you and of course there is a wall there. Meaning you have 2 windows for you. Pretty much on all window seats has one on Premium but again the conclusion is... if the person infront of you recline the his/her seat then who owns that second window in your row? And then the silly question comes to what if the person in front of you wants to open up light on the window when you deside to sleep and keep the window in your sides dark ? That's the conclusion one like me wishes to know. Because if the second window is open light then you cant sleep because the person in front of you is playing with the window button on and off or deside to see the views when all of sudent you want to sleep without any light coming in So what do you expect... Its a bit of a brain gamer on this. But no one has even talked about this/

Everyone just goes on how good the premium seats are and this and that but no one has yet mention the flight agains the second window you have in your row vs the person recline the seat unable to see the most of your side second window.

So which row would you even care to select and why? It seems regardless which ever row for a window it all going to be the same. Only front row 20 seems to be a fair call fine with the both windows but these dont aloud you to open tv screens at times and unable to leave a small camera bag or laptops around infront of you because there is no support to hold things up.

Sorry this may all sound silly ideas. But sure one wants to have the best out of the flight specially if your going to pay for Premium seat and on the long haul flights... But i guess everyone wants 2 windows for themselves Who to fight for!

Last edited by nicolas02; May 26, 2018 at 3:46 am Reason: .
Old May 26, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Qantas
Well that's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back... but seriously, if it's blocked then either person would need to reach past the seat to dim the window so just do it.

I've had seat 3A and would happily have the odd numbered A or K seats in business class.
nancypants, MaddyC and ps107 like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Volvo Mike
Well that's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back... but seriously, if it's blocked then either person would need to reach past the seat to dim the window so just do it.

I've had seat 3A and would happily have the odd numbered A or K seats in business class.
Hey thanks for that. Least someone cared to comment.
Yeah well i was only just curiosity about it. It's just the way the windows adds up on each seating row of a window seat. Premium seat for this 787-9 does apear to have 2 windows for yourself. Or at least depends which seat the second window is almost between the the person infront of you vs' your side half way point. So since non of the windows on this aircraft dont have these manual shutters no more because it has a technology that you press a button beside the window to dim the window day or night. Then who owns that window when the person reclines the seat.. when someone reclines the seat from the person in front of you... then that second window you have on your side is almost like half way blocking your view to it.. So it be kind of like the person who has reclined the seat can view that window while it's basically on your side.... Don't no what is good or bad about this.. But you would think that since your on the window seat you want to have your 2 windows for your side and not to be shared. Or perhaps its shared. But if the person dims the window light then you are been distracted because its basically your side window more then the person in front of you. But you get the idea what i really mean. It's a brain gamer for this. I'm suprised no one has even talked about this yet. Maybe just too early to know the real side of things.

Also just out of question... The very last row for a window seat which i believe is row 23 on the premium economy. There is a wall behind you. So can the Economy passangers (next door) actually see you clearly on your Premium seat at all? Or is there enough space that both the Premium seat and the Economy seat are very far apart from distance next door?

And what about the curtains.. do they actually slide the curtains down for a flight like lets say BNE to LAX ? I know for a fact long haul flights on Business class they actually close down the curtains on the passage way... keeping it privacy for the Business class passangers vs the Economy. But what about Premium economy, Do they too close the curtains to keep the Premium seating group privacy from the rest of the Economy view ?

This is another thing no one yet or at least have not heard any reviews about it. All the reviews i find are just how wonderful the seats are but there's not much deep into dept about it in details. But its always interesting to find out at least.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No passeger owns any of the windows

If passenger in front's recline gives that passenger access to the front window, then logically your recline will give access to the window in front of passenger behind as well as one which is only accessible to that passenger

How many windows do you need to be able to look out of?

Has this actually caused you any issue on a 787 flight?
nancypants, MaddyC and ps107 like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
1. Does it matter.
2. The seats don't recline enough to change who is in front of the window
3. The position of the window controller doesn't change
4. On a decent proportion of flights the FAs lock the windows to dark to make it easier for everyone to view the IFE
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
From what I have read, the QF 789 Premium Economy (possibly except for [bulkhead] row 20) is to be avoided, especially on long flights.

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....s-787-reviews/
Another member flew Business class from Los Angeles to Melbourne and found the service from the crew to be excellent. However, this member did find the seat a little uncomfortable for sleeping in given the narrow foot well.

Qantas’ 787 Premium Economy seat is a brand new design which has been advertised as “revolutionary”. While comfortable, the consensus among our members is that the Premium Economy seats lack sufficient legroom.

I’ve only flown the 787 on a short SYD-MEL hop but would have to agree with the premium economy reviews. It’s a pretty good seat that desperately needs another 3-4 inches of leg room. Even with my seat fully reclined, there just wasn’t enough space to get comfortable. The lack of any toilets in the PE cabin was also a tad inconvenient.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/review-qant...m-economy-seat
It's hard to escape the conclusion that 38 inches simply isn't enough, and that at least 40 inches would be more appropriate – as this would deliver upwards of an extra two inches (5cm) at the knees.

So while Qantas' designer David Caon has delivered what is in most other respects a superb premium economy seat, the design has been short-changed by the implementation.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-boei...ne-los-angeles
When there’s only 38 inches of pitch to begin with, when your seat is upright and the person in front is all the way back, that reduces your available space to 28.5 inches at the tightest point (near their headrest), making it incredibly difficult to get out and access the aisle, particularly for the centre and window passengers.

There’s still ample room to work on a laptop when the seat in front is all the way back, owing to that seat being slanted – but there’s less room for your knees, particularly if using the paddle as a footrest.

I made that discovery when the passenger in front swapped from ‘full upright’ to ‘full recline’ rather quickly, which saw my slightly-tilted inflight entertainment screen painfully crash into my kneecaps, even when my own seat was all the way back for maximum space, and rendered the footrest paddle unusable for that purpose unless positioned down near the cabin floor:

I then tried to use the net for my feet and the paddle as a leg rest instead, but didn’t find that particularly comfortable or sturdy – as resting my feet in the net pulled the paddle forward and away from me, so I resorted to sticking my feet out each side of the net, unsupported, just to have the paddle in a suitable spot.

Still unhappy with this, I spent a further 90 minutes trying various positions involving the foot net and leg paddle in an attempt to get comfortable for sleeping, but regardless of which I tried, I didn’t find success, and was left wanting the traditional, solid leg rest of Qantas’ last-generation premium economy seat (shown below).

Also regarding personal space, it’s very difficult to stand up and access the aisle when behind a fully-reclined seat – particularly for centre and window passengers who are further away from that aisle – which saw numerous travellers on my flight walking on the actual seats to get across, and jumping down into their seat and landing with a floor-shaking ‘thud’.

All things considered, on the 14-hour trek from Melbourne to LA, I managed to get literally one hour of sleep. Passengers talking loudly in the cabin didn’t help, but honestly, neither did the seat pitch, the foot net/leg paddle or my seat’s position next to the rear curtain, where I found I was bumped at least half the time somebody walked through, most commonly, when returning from the restroom.

Combine that with being awoken by ‘seat jumpers’ who found this easier than navigating behind reclined seats, and the regular disturbances made anything more than a nap difficult to achieve: and I arrived in LA dreary and red-eyed, despite normally sleeping quite well on planes.

For example, on my last Boeing 787 premium economy flight – from Ho Chi Minh City to Sydney with Vietnam Airlines, on an off-the-shelf seat with a traditional swing-up leg rest and 42 inches of pitch – I slept for 4.5 hours of the eight-hour journey.

By contrast, on Qantas’ Boeing 787 which lacks a traditional leg rest and where the pitch is a smaller 38 inches – not just proving tight, but also inducing passengers to hop over seats, making sleep for others more difficult – I managed only an hour’s kip, which is what I’d expect of regular economy, not premium economy.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No passeger owns any of the windows

If passenger in front's recline gives that passenger access to the front window, then logically your recline will give access to the window in front of passenger behind as well as one which is only accessible to that passenger

How many windows do you need to be able to look out of?

Has this actually caused you any issue on a 787 flight?

Hi. Not yet. Soon i will for the straight flight to LAX. For the Dreamliner. I just believe the Boss of Qantas are all bla bla bla but yet not enough near extreme comfortable what so ever.
From what ive just read it seems just slights of negative specially regardless if its just Economy and on the Premium Economy. I think it just makes the seats look outstanding but once you really seat on one of these you just get the same as the same old time Economy (sort of to speak)

By the way thanks to the users with the post on here.!

That foot net looks rather more rediculous to be honest. Specially that ugly orange yellowish colour pad on the front seat infront of (you) as that colour doesnt look perfect with the nice dark gray/black seats on the Premium seats. The only ugly colour that does not match it neat. It has these front pads and sooner then later these pads wont even last long because if you put your foot in the net... these pads will brak or crack apart from putting the shoes over that (in time i dought these things will even last) its the very same thing as leather sofas the more you put your foot on it it will aventually break the "Material" leather of the concept) you get what i mean. And i dont think these nets will even last long... these are like the type of net you see when a fisherman uses for catching fish. Try figuire that out yourself and you will understand that nothing will last forever. That is my negative about it. Oh though i have not flown with them yet. Sure you want a type of thing that can resist even the presure of someone heavy shoes on that type of material. But you can just imagen that aventually Qantas will end up replacing a new pad or net on these Premium economy ( same with Economy seating groups)
And last.. the front row seats middle rows at the front.. no seat infront of you but already seen slight of sketchmarks from peoples shoes against the front (wall) infront of you as there is no pads or net for the shoes and people will just end up touching the wall with thier shoes if one wants to strech thier legs.. You can again imagen the dirt and or marks on the wall making the plane look dirty and uncleaned and or marks all over the place. You can even study that by looking at the video reviews and you can already see some shoe sketch marks on the walls.. Try again imagen the same with the any seats on the premium as you pull down the large leather brown yellow pad to open the net for your shoe.. I even don't no if that is even leather but again that will not last forever.. It be replacing them constantly as it will be simply wear-out alot from people putting the shoes on there.

And the net thing just simply looks uncomfortable or looks rather stupid. Yet i have not tried it out to give you the truth results in my own opinion but from what i see and read so far (remember that Dreamliner only has came as new recentl) at the time i wrote this messages. Anyways the net thing just looks rediculous.. It should of been something better and also something that won't wear-out or break specially the yellow orange ugly pads infront of you from the seat which don't even match the colour of the nice Premium economy seats.

The only what looks so atractive is the seat that you be seating on.. nice dark gray/black premium seats looks atractive but once you seat down and face the seat infront of you. you now these 2 brown yellow pads infront don't even match the colour of the seat. Just makes it like an old type classic plane... If i was the designer... these colour pads should never been there. Plus i wouldn't want to add in an net that looks like the type of (fishing nets) that sure won't even last long aventually... Time will tell.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Travelling on SFO-MEL PE soon on 787-9 - will file a report.
From what I am reading so far, there is nothing to feel good about this PE offering.
BTW, loved LH PE offering (A340-300), Toilets were shared with the Business Class ahead.
It was the same 38" pitch, but the seat design on QF is the "let-down".
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
is it true PE on 787-9 uses the toilet of business cabins? I read ausBT article about having to wait for toilet as biz pax and if that's true I might just stick to flight option on 330 given hard product looks pretty same and cabin is smaller for J.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
is it true PE on 787-9 uses the toilet of business cabins? I read ausBT article about having to wait for toilet as biz pax and if that's true I might just stick to flight option on 330 given hard product looks pretty same and cabin is smaller for J.
Yes. I flew PE in November last SFO-MEL on the 787-9. There are two toilets in the front of the PE Section (Rear of J class) and a little further down the other way, there are another two toilets deeply embedded into the Y section.
For PE pax, J Toilets were closer - just needed to watch when it was vacant then go for it. There was no frowning by the stewards when PE pax used the J toilets.
And the J toilets were not stellar either (not sure what would have been the difference honestly)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:23 am

All said and done, QF PE on 787-9 would not be a choice in the future for me. Nothing to write home about and the seat is not comfortable at all.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Those BT reviews don't inspire a lot of confidence...

I do a lot of PE flights these days - the upstairs PE on the BloatBus was pretty good. I actually found that QF seat to be the most comfortable of those I've sampled (QF, SQ, CX and LATAM) - and slept remarkably well, something I rarely do on a Pacific run.

CX wins for me in the blend of comfort and service.

I didn't count how many windows I had on my last flight, but will be sure to do so next time.
ps107 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
Those BT reviews don't inspire a lot of confidence...

I do a lot of PE flights these days - the upstairs PE on the BloatBus was pretty good. I actually found that QF seat to be the most comfortable of those I've sampled (QF, SQ, CX and LATAM) - and slept remarkably well, something I rarely do on a Pacific run.

CX wins for me in the blend of comfort and service.

I didn't count how many windows I had on my last flight, but will be sure to do so next time.

Good to hear your perspective.
Have you done ANZ PE? Hearing nothing beats it.
Agree that the PE on A380 (Like the "Bloatbus" name...) upstairs is comfortable.
Service though on QF is another thing.
Since you travel a lot, try ANZ and let us know.
thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by B787_YYZ
Agree that the PE on A380 (Like the "Bloatbus" name...) upstairs is comfortable.
thanks!
And Oh! Virgin Australia as well. Always pricey though.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by B787_YYZ
thanks!
No, YOU try ANZ and let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.