Search

QF points fast please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
QF points fast please!

Hi All,

I have an upcoming Qantas flight at the end of September and have been given the opportunity to upgrade the flight for 26,000 points. This got me thinking, how does one earn quick Qantas points? 26,000 in my head doesn't sound like a lot, especially as someone who currently resides in the UK. I am not eligible for any Aussie credit cards so I am looking for suggestions outside of the box please:

- Qantas wine (Looks like I can earn 20,000 QF points for $400)
- Is there an Aussie equivalent to Rocketmiles or Kaligo for example?
- Does any one have any first time offers which will earn me 1,000 QF points for example?
- I discovered the Uber link last night which earned me easy points.

All a bit of fun folks and any suggestions is much appreciated. I will happily consider a phone contract or insurance plan to get the ball rolling
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Is it a confirmed upgrade for 26k now, or “it’ll cost you 26k if successful”?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Is your upgrade offer a special one-off confirmed upgrade offer or is it still subject to the upgrade lottery 48 hours to 24 hours before departure?
If the offer is the usual classic upgrade award, then your chances of scoring the upgrade on the day of departure will depend on your Qantas FF status.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

The upgrade has been confirmed as 26,000 as a Oneworld Emerald member. I believe it is a one-off occasion.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: QF WP
Forgive me, i’m a bit lagged to .... so not entirely sure i’m following this so i’ll try summarise to make sure i’m understanding

you’re OWE but not qantas
you have been offered an upgrade for 26000 qantas points which may be confirmed or may be on request
you need the 26000 points in order to lock this in hence why you’re asking for a quick way to get points? Or this is a more general question?

thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
Forgive me, i’m a bit lagged to .... so not entirely sure i’m following this so i’ll try summarise to make sure i’m understanding

you’re OWE but not qantas
you have been offered an upgrade for 26000 qantas points which may be confirmed or may be on request
you need the 26000 points in order to lock this in hence why you’re asking for a quick way to get points? Or this is a more general question?

thanks!
OWE but not Qantas - Correct
Offered an upgrade for 26,000 points (They contacted me, I didn't contact them)
This is a general question on how to earn QF points fast such as through the Qantas wine store, 3rd party hotel site etc etc. I currently have 4,000 points so only looking for the remaining 22,000.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noddie09
I have an upcoming Qantas flight at the end of September and have been given the opportunity to upgrade the flight for 26,000 points. This got me thinking, how does one earn quick Qantas points? 26,000 in my head doesn't sound like a lot, especially as someone who currently resides in the UK. I am not eligible for any Aussie credit cards so I am looking for suggestions outside of the box please:

- Qantas wine (Looks like I can earn 20,000 QF points for $400)
- Is there an Aussie equivalent to Rocketmiles or Kaligo for example?
- Does any one have any first time offers which will earn me 1,000 QF points for example?
- I discovered the Uber link last night which earned me easy points.

All a bit of fun folks and any suggestions is much appreciated. I will happily consider a phone contract or insurance plan to get the ball rolling
26,000 QF ff points is decent amount to get in a short time. When do you need them by?

You can buy points---> https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/pr...ts/topupPoints
Otherwise the wine deal may be the best for 1000's of points. No idea how fast they credit
Can get a few (in 10's ~100's) of points from https://www.redplanetportal.com.au/

But will this extra spending be value for money for the flight in question?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 15, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

I’m surprised they’re offering this to a OW elite with the price in points, as is a currency that group generally won’t have access to? Unless the plan is to try and get OWEs across to become WP? Seems a bit bizarre though, when I was non QF OW elite the offers to upgrade were always in cash

26k is the upgrade cost for what? Perth-Sydney maybe? Or something longer? I’m not sure that I would consider it worth it especially with all this chicanery being required

i’d also caution massively re checking 100x whether this is a guaranteed upgrade if you find the points. That would surprise me also. And I would be seriously annoyed to then have a bunch of orphaned QF points
og and noddie09 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:02 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
i’d also caution massively re checking 100x whether this is a guaranteed upgrade if you find the points. That would surprise me also. And I would be seriously annoyed to then have a bunch of orphaned QF points
As per above postings, QF offers pre flight are consistently words such as “if you bid enough cash you can upgrade - but you might not get an upgrade even if you bid the maximum in the suggested range”. Its easy to (incorrectly) assume that by offering to pay you get the upgrade. The OP’s stated position with QF saying “we will upgrade you if you pay QF FF points” is something completely new to me.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Unless they are oversold and trying to fix the situation while getting pax to burn points...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
OWE but not Qantas - Correct
Offered an upgrade for 26,000 points (They contacted me, I didn't contact them)
Certainly unusual.
You're convinced Qantas contacted you - this isn't some sort of scam?

Regards,

BD
og, nancypants and noddie09 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments folks! I do believe it was QF who contacted me as the 26,000 QF upgrade is also showing on my Qantas app. The flight is from Sydney to Shanghai from premium economy to business.

Buying points is unrealistic and too expensive! I am looking for a fast and cheap way to earn QF points. If it can't be done I will happily stay in premium economy, I just thought it would be a nice challenge to see if it can be done. For example buying the remaining points from QF will cost $750 however I can earn the same QF points and a case of wine for $425.00 Aussie dollars. If I factor in the wine as gifts for friends and family (6 bottles of red wine) the cost per point is significantly reduced.

The flight is currently not showing oversold however I was a QF plat member back in 2017 for 6 years until I relocated back to the UK. I am currently only QF bronze now.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....The flight is from Sydney to Shanghai from premium economy to business
I can see QF operate 333s SYD-PVG. I was not aware they had a PE cabin - at least for the few flights I checked on EF. They may be operating a 744 or 380 which does have PE - but this may be a one off ??
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by og

I can see QF operate 333s SYD-PVG. I was not aware they had a PE cabin - at least for the few flights I checked on EF. They may be operating a 744 or 380 which does have PE - but this may be a one off ??
curiouser and curiouser
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Unless it is some code share arrangement with MU? They have PEY on some of their new aircraft operating to AU (although details are scant).
noddie09 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.