Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

15 year old son not allowed in lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 year old son not allowed in lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:02 pm
1FQ
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Plat 1
smell the he roses
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Last edited by 1FQ; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:23 am Reason: Being bullied
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by trooper
What does that even mean? How impossibly subjective is that? I can see why many places now have a "card everyone" policy if staff are meant to try to make judgement calls like that. Ive seen high school students who I would take for much older, and 40 somethings who look more like teenagers to me.... (My cousin Ian was being asked for ID well into his 40's... He used to show them a photo of his wife and 3 kids...lol)

If the staff member in question says "looked over 25 to ME" how can anyone second guess that? Ridiculous.
I mean I totally understand your point and that is why here, EVERYONE is now IDed when they buy alcohol no matter what their age is to be safe, since the law is the one that basically gets to decide if you "looked" young which is subjective. I did look extremely young though, I should have been IDed.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trooper
What does that even mean? How impossibly subjective is that? I can see why many places now have a "card everyone" policy if staff are meant to try to make judgement calls like that. Ive seen high school students who I would take for much older, and 40 somethings who look more like teenagers to me.... (My cousin Ian was being asked for ID well into his 40's... He used to show them a photo of his wife and 3 kids...lol)

If the staff member in question says "looked over 25 to ME" how can anyone second guess that? Ridiculous.
Indeed. If it is a test to see what a shop assistant would do, then that is fine, but unless someone actually under 18 is used to test , then person can just say that I believe that person was of age and no offence has been committed

As far as the OP is concerned, I think that he is very lucky that the airline did not take any adverse action in regards to misuse of membership card
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I knew the story was going downhill when I read the first few words of your third sentence.
jspira likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed. If it is a test to see what a shop assistant would do, then that is fine, but unless someone actually under 18 is used to test , then person can just say that I believe that person was of age and no offence has been committed

As far as the OP is concerned, I think that he is very lucky that the airline did not take any adverse action in regards to misuse of membership card
Yes, indeed.

(And to reiterate the point already made that the age of the OP's son would presumably be cited in his WP profile, so subjective assessment of age unlikely to have been a factor in this case).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1FQ
I called P1 services and they said to me.no, he is allowed in and gave me the lounge number in Brisbane.
It sounds as if the local QF staff were very accommodating to the OP's son in the circumstances. Good on them!

That said, on the basis of the OP's information, it is disappointing that the P1 hotline would advise incorrect information that they could so easily verify.

It is no wonder that customers become confused when misinformed.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I feel totally sympathetic to your story, and it sounds like they were not very nice about it, but it's true - the liquor licenses mean he shouldn't be in there because he can go up to the self serve liquor and get whatever he wants, no ID required. If there was a liquor license sting, there would legitimately be a huge fine and they would lose their license, an absolute disaster.

Also I don't know about Qantas, but with the Air NZ Koru lounge pass you can't use it to get someone else in, even your own flesh and blood unless you are there and they are a guest.
While I get that is an legal reason that prevents access - shouldn't the same apply to onboard the aircraft? e..g when did you last see the crew ask for photo id while serving beer on an SYD-MEL flight?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
While I get that is an legal reason that prevents access - shouldn't the same apply to onboard the aircraft? e..g when did you last see the crew ask for photo id while serving beer on an SYD-MEL flight?
I've seen that several times actually including once in the last 3 months. Yes it does apply onboard the aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
No, it's 100% a different story? One is self-serve, one is crew giving it out. Do crew ever ask for ID? Well, I've never seen it, but they could. When it's self serve and no one is watching so there is no chance for photo ID to be asked for, that is a totally different story.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In the domestic lounges, which ones have self service of alcoholic beverages? I thought that they were all served - I thought it was only the international lounges where there is a refrigerator from which one can get their own drinks
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
In the domestic lounges, which ones have self service of alcoholic beverages? I thought that they were all served - I thought it was only the international lounges where there is a refrigerator from which one can get their own drinks
Wine is self-serve in domestic Qantas Clubs.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Domestic lounges have been offering self-service wine for at least 20 years that I can recall. Have you ever actually been in a domestic lounge?
eminere likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR

Wine is self-serve in domestic Qantas Clubs.
Correct. Wine & bubbles are self serve, spirits and beer are served on request. The self-serve area is a part of the bar though, and I presume the bar staff are expected to "supervise" it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Good policy. I wouldn't want the lounges to be full of unsupervised teenagers!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:33 pm
1FQ
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Plat 1
Smell the roses

Last edited by 1FQ; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:24 am Reason: Being bullied

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.