Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas flight attendant calls woman Miss instead of Dr. (PhD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas flight attendant calls woman Miss instead of Dr. (PhD)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My first name starts with S, and I'm male. Many years ago it was common to include the title in the name on the ticket and just use an initial for the first name, at which point I would become "SURNAME/MRS".

Never caused any issue at the airport, but it did cause confusion over the phone at times when people were expecting Mrs Surname...

Originally Posted by Mama
That's it. I am not a Dr but I will put Dr in my reservation from now on just for fun. And pretty soon, you will have a plane full of Dr.
I can't help but include this...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Platy
(...)
...just looked through a pile of actual boarding passes and MS appears on:

VA
SQ
BA
EK
QF
(...)
(Some folk will always find a negative or pejorative spin...welcome to the era fake news and bullying by the vocal minority and best paid lobbyists...).
No need for a personal attack (I am in fact neither a paid lobbyist nor a bully), Platy, and thanks for the data points. It just happens that outside of SQ, I haven't booked on those airlines you mention in a while and so have no recent personal experience with them. I'm glad to see it's available on some airlines; certainly not all. And the point remains that "Mr." is completely neutral in a way that "Ms." will never be.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by zitsky
I think most PhD's have inflated egos
I think most FT posters have inflated egos. Those and wannabes that only obtained Masters degrees.

Last edited by LukeO9; Sep 9, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
No need for a personal attack (I am in fact neither a paid lobbyist nor a bully), Platy, and thanks for the data points. It just happens that outside of SQ, I haven't booked on those airlines you mention in a while and so have no recent personal experience with them. I'm glad to see it's available on some airlines; certainly not all. And the point remains that "Mr." is completely neutral in a way that "Ms." will never be.

For clarity that wasn't intended as a personal attack - you misinterpret - the folk that I was referring to are those you perceive as shunning using the term MS because of supposed distasteful association were in my sights, not you! More of a general cry of exacberation at a world gone mad...(on a day when some seek to excuse bad sportsmanship in tennis as a sexist conspiracy and a local political leader here in Australia causes outrage by referring to his own wife as being "hot")...

FWIW SQ seems to have the most extensive list of titles in its booking engine (select "others" for an extraordinarily comprehensive list!).

In terms of the original theme on this thread - QF's options for title look rather pathetic by comparison with those of SQ - perhaps an indication that QF really isn't too concerned about the whole title game in the first place (?!)

Last edited by Platy; Sep 9, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:47 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
I was surprised to learn that in the UK, surgeons are referred to as "Mister," not doctor.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Austria is very serious on these titles though - like the call many who hold a Master 'Herr Magister xyz....'
Ja, this is true to the point, when I was very little, I thought the Pharmacist's name was "Magister" because we addressed him as "Herr Magister."

In Vienna, we like to tell the story of the University professor whose secretary was told to return mail addressed as
Herrn
Prof. Dr. Riegler

as opposed to the correct
Herrn
Prof. Dr. Dr. Riegler

I've also seen this for someone with multiple doctorates.
Herrn
Dr. mult. Meyer

Of course, it can get more complicated if you are writing to a Graf.
Herrn
Prof. Dr. Paul Max Graf von Bogen
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
...just looked through a pile of actual boarding passes and MS appears on:

VA
SQ
BA
EK
QF

It also appears on Egypt Air boarding passes

(sorry this thread needs a bit of, admittedly poor, humour)
Platy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Sometimes to have a laugh I book Ms. Shuuy as "Captain", "Baronness" or other honouriffic titles.
Never leads to anything... no drama
DML likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Sometimes to have a laugh I book Ms. Shuuy as "Captain", "Baronness" or other honouriffic titles.
Never leads to anything... no drama

Try booking her as DR next time!
shuuy likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
The real problem is that no neutral form of address exists for women the way it does for men. "Mr." says nothing about age or marital status. In English, there is only "Miss" (usually connoting young, unmarried) or "Mrs" (connoting married-to-Surname). For those of you claiming the passenger was pedantic to insist on the title "Dr.", it simply may have been a strategy to avoid the Miss/Mrs. dichotomy (present also in many other languages, French and German, for example). In English the alternative "Ms." was supposed to fix the Miss/Mrs. problem, but even many women these days find Ms. smacks of a brand of unpalatable feminism. People in the travel and other service industries are trained to call most women "Miss" (at least in English), and that seems to rankle some or many women.
So... some sympathy out there for the Miss Dr. PhD.
Miss or Mrs. People should just get used to it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: QF WP
For clarity that wasn't intended as a personal attack - you misinterpret - the folk that I was referring to are those you perceive as shunning using the term MS because of supposed distasteful association were in my sights, not you! More of a general cry of exacberation at a world gone mad...(on a day when some seek to excuse bad sportsmanship in tennis as a sexist conspiracy and a local political leader here in Australia causes outrage by referring to his own wife as being "hot")...

FWIW SQ seems to have the most extensive list of titles in its booking engine (select "others" for an extraordinarily comprehensive list!).

In terms of the original theme on this thread - QF's options for title look rather pathetic by comparison with those of SQ - perhaps an indication that QF really isn't too concerned about the whole title game in the first place (?!)

must say that as a female...ms may well have started out with noble intentions. However it has (in my non-PhD level research experience) never gained much acceptance in the mainstream, being as it is preferred by the kind of mad feminists that get upset about ridiculous things and seek to bring the entire gender down to their idiotic lowest common denominator of continual victimhood

as such, while I don’t get upset when “ms” is auto selected for me as a title, or when I am referred to as ms, I would never voluntarily select it for myself as I don’t want to mark myself out as “one of those kind of people”
Platy and Isochronous like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The real problem is that no neutral form of address exists for women the way it does for men. "Mr." says nothing about age or marital status. In English, there is only "Miss" (usually connoting young, unmarried) or "Mrs" (connoting married-to-Surname). For those of you claiming the passenger was pedantic to insist on the title "Dr.", it simply may have been a strategy to avoid the Miss/Mrs. dichotomy (present also in many other languages, French and German, for example). In English the alternative "Ms." was supposed to fix the Miss/Mrs. problem, but even many women these days find Ms. smacks of a brand of unpalatable feminism. People in the travel and other service industries are trained to call most women "Miss" (at least in English), and that seems to rankle some or many women.
So... some sympathy out there for the Miss Dr. PhD.
Without wading into the silliness of 'Ms', the angst does not exist in the German language. Irrespective of marriage, young women are 'Fräulein' and older women are 'Frau'. There is no common-use third word for unmarried older women.
Platy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Without wading into the silliness of 'Ms', the angst does not exist in the German language. Irrespective of marriage, young women are 'Fräulein' and older women are 'Frau'. There is no common-use third word for unmarried older women.
Do Fräulein ever become offended if called Frau? I've heard of women in the USA being upset "Ma'am" is used instead of "Miss"
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:35 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
I was surprised to learn that in the UK, surgeons are referred to as "Mister," not doctor.
As are the male surgeons in Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.