Search

QF to codeshare with NZ

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
QF to codeshare with NZ

Qantas have announced an agreement with Air NZ which is interesting, given they compete domesitcally in NZ via Jetstar.

• Codeshare agreement on 115 domestic routes in New Zealand and Australia
  • Faster connections between flights to reduce total journey time by up to two hours
  • Other potential areas of cooperation include ground handling, freight and biofuel
Air New Zealand and Qantas have today announced plans for a reciprocal codeshare agreement that leverages the strengths of each carrier’s domestic networks, making travel within Australia and New Zealand easier.Under the codeshare Qantas intends to add its code on up to 30 routes on Air New Zealand’s domestic network and Air New Zealand intends to add its code on up to 85 routes on Qantas’ domestic network.Coordination of check-in and handling at airports will mean shorter connection times, opening up more onward flights for customers on each carrier’s domestic networks and faster journey times overall.Eligible customers will have access to a combined total of 36 domestic lounges on both sides of the Tasman when flying on routes covered by the codeshare agreement.Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said the two national carriers had a lot of shared history as well as a shared goal of making travel easier.“Our relationship with Air New Zealand goes back almost 80 years. We’ve been partners at various stages over that time and we have a lot of respect for them as a competitor.“A codeshare deal on our domestic networks makes sense for customers because it leverages the strengths we each have in our home markets.”Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Christopher Luxon said the codeshare will see two of the world’s best airlines offer their customers a full service experience when they make domestic connections within New Zealand or Australia.“While the two airlines will continue to compete very strongly across all markets, Air New Zealand and Qantas are known for having a commitment to innovation, customer service excellence, operational performance and safety. We are confident that our respective customers will enjoy the reciprocal benefits on both sides of the Tasman.”The two CEOs noted that over time there was potential for them to explore areas of mutual interest, including research into biofuels, freight and ground-handling opportunities.The codeshare and customer offering will exclude Trans-Tasman flights. Qantas will continue to codeshare on all connecting Jetstar New Zealand services. Tickets for the codeshare services will be available by the end of July 2018, for travel from 28 October 2018.
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...travel-easier/
Old May 31, 2018, 7:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Groundhog day (almost - and noting the exclusion of TT flights). QF used to code share on NZ DC8s SYD-WLG. I assume that was because QF didn’t think they could stop on the short WLG runway.

I must have missed the part that (could have) said that the code share deal will lead to efficiencies that help lower prices for the passengers.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]
Originally Posted by og
Groundhog day (almost - and noting the exclusion of TT flights). QF used to code share on NZ DC8s SYD-WLG. I assume that was because QF didn’t think they could stop on the short WLG runway.
QF used to operate a B747SP into WLG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747SP
A Qantas 747SP, the first 747SP to land at Wellington International Airport, New Zealand in 1981.
[on topic]

Air NZ will be reason for the QF "Buy on Board for Meals Inflight Movies etc" being considered.
With the codeshare expect will be close to a mirror image on NZ pricing methods.
Rumour: Qantas is Looking at Buy on Board for Meals Inflight Movies

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 31, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Air NZ will be reason for the QF "Buy on Board for Meals Inflight Movies etc" consider. With the codeshare expect will be close to a mirror image on NZ pricing methods.
That all does start to make sense now, would be simpler to sell each others product. Even though it doesn't allow for code-sharing on the Tasman, there is really nothing from them ticketing passengers on each others flights at wholesale rates....

Does make me wonder if JQNZ days are now limited?
Old May 31, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]

QF used to operate a B747SP into WLG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747SP

[on topic]

Air NZ will be reason for the QF "Buy on Board for Meals Inflight Movies etc" being considered.
With the codeshare expect will be close to a mirror image on NZ pricing methods.

But VA has GO fare = Seat only, GO plus fare = Seat + bag, Getaway = Works on NZ and Freedom = Flexi? I really hate the VA names they're so unintuitive!

I think QF was reacting to VA, not Air NZ. Just watching the other competition like wifi roll out, business suites etc and the home market is huge compared to NZ.
NZ had to compete with JQ and why not do that using the same planes they have rather than trying to add more planes to create a LCC. I suspect QF has way more money in the bank and far more customers to deal with than Air NZ.

I would have bought a seat only fare from Qantas because I eat in the lounge anyway. I'd rather keep the $20 as it adds up over flights or spent it on a better seat than food. Infrequently I buy F&B on NZ across the Tasman and it's not an issue at all. It's fine!
Old May 31, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I think QF was reacting to VA, not Air NZ. Just watching the other competition like wifi roll out, business suites etc and the home market is huge compared to NZ.
NZ had to compete with JQ and why not do that using the same planes they have rather than trying to add more planes to create a LCC. I suspect QF has way more money in the bank and far more customers to deal with than Air NZ.
NZ has an LCC (Freedom Air) which they closed down due to the cost base between NZ/SJ being very little difference its wasn't worth operating two brands, the remains of SJ now crew the A320s for NZ.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...del
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Has this passed ACCC review?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jridge
Has this passed ACCC review?
Good question.

But, it seems to me, we now know why NZ decided to divorce VA.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Good question.

But, it seems to me, we now know why NZ decided to divorce VA.
They're still competing on TT route. It's only domestic that's changing. This article says no regulatory approval required.
https://australianaviation.com.au/ai...odeshare-deal/

I don't think VA and NZ CEOs saw eye to eye and things have been spiralling downwards ever since.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:34 am

Does this mean I can use my Air NZ points for Australia domestic flights (like SYD - MEL)?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rocky7st Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by rocky7st
Does this mean I can use my Air NZ points for Australia domestic flights (like SYD - MEL)?
Unlikely. This is a codeshare arrangement and not an alliance/ffp arrangement. Need the full details
Probably will only be able to use QF Au domestic flights as tag on to a TT flight.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:12 pm

QF/NZ code-share now live

Looks like the QF/NZ codeshare deal has now gone live for sales, they seem to be allowing some pretty tight connections in places such as SYD I guess they are certain they have engough offer flights to transfer you too?

Ironically you can book the advertised BHE to BME directly on QF's website - yet you can't with NZ.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:08 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for this. I am still surprised that this isn't attracting more attention from the competition watchdogs. But maybe code-sharing is not enough to trigger that.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The equivalent thread in the Air NZ forum---->Air NZ to codeshare with Qantas

Linked is an ausbt info, with Air NZ earning & lounge access ---> https://www.ausbt.com.au/earning-air...tm_source=hero

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.