Wiki Posts
Search

60 status points needed by 30 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum
60 status points needed by 30 June

Is there any flight route that is generally good for getting a minimum of 60 status points for around $750?
I'm based in Sydney and happy to do a same day return or a maximum of 1 night away.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:00 am

Have a look at connecting flights Sydney to Townsville, Cairns (both connecting in Brisbane) or Hobart with Melbourne connection.
Could book a Flex fare on one leg and a basic fare on the other to get 60SC and spend just under your $750 limit.

If doing the Hobart run depending on flight timing and if you stay a night you could go have a look at MONA and also soon Dark MoFo is about to happen.
Gives you something to do other than look at the inside of an airport or hotel room.

Last edited by mrfreezetas; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:02 am Reason: added more information
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
I'm thinking Launceston may be the cheapest airfare and it can be done in one day so no need for a hotel.

Via Melbourne both ways, flex fare one way and Red-e Deal the other. $578 for 60SCs on June 20.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks both.
I should have mentioned I'm trying to use my Qantas AMEX $450 voucher but can't get any of these flights to price up on AMEX online travel.
Don't think I can use the voucher over the phone can I?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with AMEX travel. Apparently they are not an actual travel agent so all booking must be made online even if you can't get the flights you want ie: flex one way and red the other.
Which means I'm probably just going to have to find another route or book one of the both flex in both directions.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Pay for the flex flight with the voucher through Amex, which should be around the $450 mark. Then book the Red-e deal direct through Qantas.

Or fly to Auckland via Melbourne or Brisbane both ways in regular economy for about $730.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:39 pm
1FQ

Programs: QFF Plat 1
I have done a few Christchurch flights on Emirates in the past to gain the additional Status credits. Its a cheap way to get them and you fly on an A380 in Business class for around 2 hours over and 2 hours back. I recall its the cheapest Bus class on an A380 you can get.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help.
I booked LST for a same day return on Saturday 23 June. Booked the outbound on Qantas's website (Red e-deal) and the inbound on AMEX as flex with my QF voucher.
Only had to pay $250 and means I move up 1 status level with QF
CorporateFlyer and trooper like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Paros_fan
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I booked LST for a same day return on Saturday 23 June. Booked the outbound on Qantas's website (Red e-deal) and the inbound on AMEX as flex with my QF voucher.
Only had to pay $250 and means I move up 1 status level with QF
Ahhh - but will you get $250 worth of value from the new status
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Indeed I will.
About to lose my BA status and so moving myself up with QF is important
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Out of interest, does anyone know if the MEL - LST plane does an immediate turn around?
There are flights that leave about 25min after one lands and I'm wondering if this is doable and how efficient LST is.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Paros_fan
Out of interest, does anyone know if the MEL - LST plane does an immediate turn around?
There are flights that leave about 25min after one lands and I'm wondering if this is doable and how efficient LST is.
I have not flown into LST but if anything like Hobart (Live Here) it will be the same plane.
You could check Flightradar 24 and see what aircraft fly in and out to determine if same aircraft.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Yes, the MEL-LST flight is a turnaround. It is extremely easy to do (you can simply walk around to security and go straight through to the gate. I have done it twice on status runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.