Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne domestic lounge under construction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne domestic lounge under construction?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Go pies
I have noticed in Melbourne now you are stopped at the door on the lower level and asked to show FF cards or invites. Usually 2 staff members so its pretty secure now. If you have the right visitor passes or guest numbers you should be ok
Cards are scanned rather than just “sighted” - at least mine was 2 weeks ago and the J lounge was packed just after lunch.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Was in there on Sunday. J lounge unchanged so far, but fully half of the QP is behind a construction wall. Must be chockers on weekdays.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:23 pm
DML

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, HHonors Diamond
WP access to the J lounge is meant to be unaffected. I took my wife and two kids in no bother a couple of weeks ago
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by DML
WP access to the J lounge is meant to be unaffected. I took my wife and two kids in no bother a couple of weeks ago
thanks DML - thought that would be the case but just wanted to make sure!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
I was allowed entry last Saturday morning (10am) with a complementary pass. Not very busy. Couldn't find any power points and food offerering quite limited. Wished I hadn't bothered.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
QF Domestic Qantas Lounge opened today.

Will try to get some images up later- waiting for breakfast in the QF F lounge about to board QF93.

J lounge got rearranged last night - as did some walls. Different seating patterns. Tall tables by the windows were gone
Old May 29, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by og

Cards are scanned rather than just “sighted” - at least mine was 2 weeks ago and the J lounge was packed just after lunch.
I find this depends on traffic at MEL. At peak times they seem to just sight the card however at off-peak times I've been requested to provide the card for scanning. This has happened both prior to the renovations (when the checkpoint was at the top of the escalators) and during.

Regards,

BD
Old May 29, 2018, 11:34 pm
1FQ

Programs: QFF Plat 1
Think it comes down to the card you have. P1 and its sighted for me, but my business partner being Gold had her card taken and scanned. I also see a lot of people not being let in and begging to get in. As im not hanging around at the bottom of the escalaters in Melbourne i dont really know why they are being not allowed in. But sounds like some sort of plan they have to get in not working.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by 1FQ
Think it comes down to the card you have. P1 and its sighted for me, but my business partner being Gold had her card taken and scanned. I also see a lot of people not being let in and begging to get in. ....
Those not getting in may well be guests.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
ABT email today had story about new QP and future plans.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by beckoa
QF Domestic Qantas Lounge opened today.
MEL Domestic Qantas Club opened yesterday.
MEL Domestic Qantas Business Lounge renovation starts.

Last edited by LukeO9; Jun 6, 2018 at 7:14 pm Reason: Correctness
Old May 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Here's the story/pics, finally on a device where I can do this:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/first-photo...as-club-lounge
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: QFF WP
Qantas Domestic Lounge redevelopment in Melbourne

We've begun construction on our new Domestic Lounges in Melbourne.

To make way for the upgraded lounges, the current Qantas Club will be reduced in size during construction. Customer space will be limited and there will be some temporary changes to guest access policy in the Melbourne Qantas Club.

Qantas Gold Frequent Flyers and Qantas Club members will be permitted to access the Melbourne Qantas Club, however no guests will be permitted during peak hours (from 5am through to 9am and from 3pm through to 7pm). At all other times Qantas Club normal guest access policy applies, subject to lounge availability.

Paper and digital complimentary invitations are unable to be used at Melbourne Qantas Club during this period.

A Grab and Go offering will be available during construction, providing an easy and convenient access to a selection of coffee and light snacks.

We appreciate your patience during the construction period and look forward to welcoming you into our new lounges.

----------

By "Paper and digital complimentary invitations are unable to be used at Melbourne Qantas Club during this period." do they mean the aforementioned peak periods each day, or just "the period" of renovations?

Booked an reward economy ticket for my brother for Wednesday 5:10pm MEL-CBR and transferred a complimentary lounge pass for him to use - but not sure if he'll be able to? If not, would a polite call to the Qantas Club prior to his arrival and the fact that I booked for him as a WP be able to sneak him in? Am I being too optimistic?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:19 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by grinna
Qantas Domestic Lounge redevelopment in Melbourne

If not, would a polite call to the Qantas Club prior to his arrival and the fact that I booked for him as a WP be able to sneak him in? Am I being too optimistic?
Way too optimistic. They really mean it when they say no complimentary invitations or guests.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Hvr
Way too optimistic. They really mean it when they say no complimentary invitations or guests.
No complimentary invitations at all, but guests of QP/SG may be admitted outside the timings mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.