Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 1/2 to be rerouted via SIN by March 25, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I'm based in London and will miss the option of QF to Dubai. BA has 3 per day, but I prefer the QF product (more exotic for me as I use BA all the time) and it has often been cheaper. There are lots of EK flights between London and Dubai, but I try to stick with OW so I can earn AA miles. I will also miss the F lounge in Dubai, which we can't access with OW status if on a EK flight. BA flights go from a different terminal.

As for lounges in SIN, I haven't been but I understand the BA lounge has a nice F section and so perhaps QF F flyers will be directed there.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by jlsw7
I'm based in London and will miss the option of QF to Dubai. BA has 3 per day, but I prefer the QF product (more exotic for me as I use BA all the time) and it has often been cheaper. There are lots of EK flights between London and Dubai, but I try to stick with OW so I can earn AA miles. I will also miss the F lounge in Dubai, which we can't access with OW status if on a EK flight. BA flights go from a different terminal.

As for lounges in SIN, I haven't been but I understand the BA lounge has a nice F section and so perhaps QF F flyers will be directed there.
I understood the QF codeshare with EK will continue?

The return from DXB - LHR is only 30 AED cheaper on QF than EK, but the availability of QF Classic Rewards on EK in F is far easier than QF on that route.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nocturne14
They will need to vastly upgrade their current lounge. The food options are very minimal and may have to resort pushing some passenger to the BA lounge especially in the early evening hours when it isn't used.
Which lounges have you been to that have a better quality food selection than the QF lounge?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I understood the QF codeshare with EK will continue?

The return from DXB - LHR is only 30 AED cheaper on QF than EK, but the availability of QF Classic Rewards on EK in F is far easier than QF on that route.
Sorry, I meant QF is cheaper than BA.

I don't think you can book a QF code on EK flights on a routing that does not touch Australia.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

I don't think you can book a QF code on EK flights on a routing that does not touch Australia.
I can book QF codeshares on EK from DXB-LHR rtn, on the Qatar site with no onward travel to AU.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

e.g.,
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:02 am

Thank you VH-RMD and Calchas, I didn't know that could be done.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
Which lounges have you been to that have a better quality food selection than the QF lounge?
Leading up to late last year there would not be many at SIN T1 that could be better.

But QF have severely reduced the F&B offering in their SIN lounge (unless you feel like ordering a hot bowl of rice with a little flavoring and a couple of dry scraps of meat tossed on top and are not into cocktail made to order).

QF Elites have been fortunate the EK lounge has been mostly available (Aside from when it was being renovated).

More here on AFF:
Qantas Singapore Lounge Catering Quality - Enhanced! | Australia Frequent Flyer

I too suspect Qantas will need to make changes to accommodate First PAX.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
...But QF have severely reduced the F&B offering in their SIN lounge (unless you feel like ordering a hot bowl of rice with a little flavoring and a couple of dry scraps of meat tossed on top and are not into cocktail made to order).....
Is there more than 1 QF lounge at SIN? I was there in August and had cocktails made to order by the barman -- pretty good for a J lounge -- and was served a very nice bowl of Laksa that was F lounge quality. I go through there about 5 times per year and it has always been better than most J lounges but not F lounge quality (actually better than the BA F lounge next door, ime). Seems odd to be so different from other reports.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Is there more than 1 QF lounge at SIN? I was there in August and had cocktails made to order by the barman -- pretty good for a J lounge -- and was served a very nice bowl of Laksa that was F lounge quality. I go through there about 5 times per year and it has always been better than most J lounges but not F lounge quality (actually better than the BA F lounge next door, ime). Seems odd to be so different from other reports.
Nope, just the one lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
I've always thought that the QF lounges in Singapore and Hong Kong were superb - far better than some F lounges out there (including the BA T5 F lounge and the EK F lounge at DXB - which I can see why people like ... but just wasn't my thing). I've had some of the best asian food I've ever had in the QF SIN lounge (which might say more about me than it does about the lounge!).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Seems odd to be so different from other reports.
Read the thread I linked to - there are quite a few posts by much more experienced Singapore travelers than me decrying the decline in offerings over the last year.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG

What time of day were you there? I've been a semi-regular at the lounge over the years since it first opened, but usually when using 3K or MH, and usually outside it's peak operating hours, and at off peak times it still remains a fantastic J lounge.

However I have found at the peak it really groans under the weight of passengers, and I enjoy it far far less then. Last time I was there around that time, on JQ 8, I waited until after QF 36 & QF 82 had been called, before asking for cocktails and the barman was happy to oblige. I've heard that at certain times they don't make to order (but bring around a cocktail of the day instead).

The other things, since opening, I've noticed the quality of the made to order plates has declined, and variety as well - used to rotate quite frequently - but last three visits - over several months - have all been the same choice of Laksa & Pau (as aside, as an Australian living in Singapore, I wonder why they don't offer a "western dish", but predominantly offer pseudo-local options, which can't hope to match my favorite hawker stalls - but I recognise they do anglicise the dishes for the crowd.) . Also a few little things like declining quality of salads, no longer offering ham platter etc, minor things but noticeable.

Also, some bemoan the sparking wine instead of real Champagne, but such is life.
serfty likes this.

Last edited by lokijuh; Sep 8, 2017 at 6:17 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
One interesting observation - QF has started advertising on their website HKG-LHR (via SIN).

The HKG-SIN legs are booked onto CX, and are not codeshares.

I did some quick price checks, and they seem very slightly cheaper than CX direct from HKG, but nothing worthwhile unless you really want to fly SIN-LHR on QF.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
QF F besides the bed is totally uninspiring-food, amenities, lavs, service wise, added to the crowded and loud co-lounge in SIN and soon LHR as an F or P/P1 it really doesn't represent good value compared with EK F. Sure the bling is a bit much but overall you feel much better value for your money. Lavs, shower, on board bar, food, drink, F suite amenities, F lounge quality in DXB, direct F lounge access to aircraft etc.....I'll continue flying EK metal on QF paper. If SIN isn't part of your plans not worth it. As for a 787 with a 17 hour leg via PER, even in J class....forget it! I only fly QF F when they are having super sale A fares at almost the price of J...then it's indeed superb value

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Sep 26, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.