Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Baggage interlining on reward bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi
I have an upcoming trip which is a combination of revenue and reward booking. First PNR MEL - SIN revenue booking on Qantas and then SIN - CMB is a separate PNR award booking also on Qantas but flying UL metal.
Will Qantas interline baggage since both bookings are ticketed on Qantas.
has anyone had any recent experience with this?
It was impossible to book a combination of revenue and reward booking on the same PNR.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here --.Interline and Through Checked Baggage
Normally for separate PNRs only QF to QF and QF to EK, but an exemption for awards.
<snip>
If connecting from an international flight through to an Australian domestic flight, you will need to clear customs and collect your bags at the first international point.

If travelling on a oneworld flight booked on separate tickets in separate bookings, the baggage will not be checked through and the customers will not receive the boarding pass for their onward flight.

Please allow enough time for your customers to collect their baggage at the end of each flight, clear customs and immigration if necessary, move between different terminals and re-check in with the next airline.

However, if your customers are travelling on separate tickets but in the same booking, the bags will be transferred between flights and they will receive the boarding pass for their onward flight.

^ Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
* Provided Qantas Interline and Inter-Airline Through Check-in (IATCI) agreements exist.
hrs027 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:15 pm

I'm flying SYD-ADL on Qantas, followed by ADL-DOH-LHR on Qatar.
Both will be separate PNR and both reward bookings.
Will Qantas tag my bags in SYD to LHR? Or will i need to collect bags at ADL (domestic to international transfer) and thus make interlining pointless?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
I'm flying SYD-ADL on Qantas, followed by ADL-DOH-LHR on Qatar.
Both will be separate PNR and both reward bookings.
Will Qantas tag my bags in SYD to LHR? Or will I need to collect bags at ADL (domestic to international transfer) and thus make interlining pointless?
Guess both awards are not with QF ff points. From QF link/text above a chance they will interline the bags on separate bookings, but nothing is guaranteed. You are award and award. Not award and revenue as QF text.
How much time between QF scheduled arrival and QR scheduled departure? Schedules can change. As can the weather.
ADL is a small (newish) airport with international and domestic in one building.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Guess both awards are not with QF ff points. From QF link/text above a chance they will interline the bags on separate bookings, but nothing is guaranteed. You are award and award. Not award and revenue as QF text.
How much time between QF scheduled arrival and QR scheduled departure? Schedules can change. As can the weather.
ADL is a small (newish) airport with international and domestic in one building.
I haven't purchased (was going to book with Avios via BA.com) the SYD-ADL yet, was toying with buying the ticket to comply with the mixed revenue and rewards (which is BA Avios on Qatar )...
I am thinking of leaving 3 hours between landing in ADL and the international flight from ADL to LHR
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I haven't purchased (was going to book with Avios via BA.com) the SYD-ADL yet, was toying with buying the ticket to comply with the mixed revenue and rewards (which is BA Avios on Qatar )...
I am thinking of leaving 3 hours between landing in ADL and the international flight from ADL to LHR
Given the separate tickets, how would QF treat you if the first (separate) flight is delayed and you miss the long haul?

Usually if your first domestic ‘position’ sector is delayed for any reason, then you’ll be a no-show for the long haul flight with no rights of recourse to be rerouted. Many have carried this risk, myself included, but I have seen it go terribly wrong for someone.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Given the separate tickets, how would QF treat you if the first (separate) flight is delayed and you miss the long haul?

Usually if your first domestic ‘position’ sector is delayed for any reason, then you’ll be a no-show for the long haul flight with no rights of recourse to be rerouted. Many have carried this risk, myself included, but I have seen it go terribly wrong for someone.
QF would do nothing. Zilch. Zero. They will get pax to ADL some time.
With an award flight using BA avios on Qatar QR is a risk for a no show. Not like flexible cash paid business class ticket.
Looking today QR915 ADL DOH departs 22:20 (but may be different for babyg_wc). So would be possible to have a lot more than 3:00hr transfer time
Risk vs implications of a no show.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 17, 2022 at 2:40 am
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

QF would do nothing. Zilch. Zero. They will get pax to ADL some time.
With an award flight using BA avios on Qatar QR is a risk for a no show. Not like flexible cash paid business class ticket.
Looking today QR915 ADL DOH departs 22:20 (but may be different for babyg_wc). So would be possible to have a lot more than 3:00hr transfer time
Risk vs implications of a no show.
i am hoping the interlining would help speed up the transfer process at ADL: previous posts and "https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect/au/en/policy-and-guidelines/baggage-information/interline-and-through-checked-baggage.html" seems to indicate Qantas can do this for separate PNR but one world flights (although it mentions a combo of reward+revenue), but there is less info around the domestic to international transfer aspects of Adelaide.

agreed there is a risk in the positioning flight, i was hoping interlining will help de-risk, the flights are in feb 2023 so i am hoping things are getting back to normal flight wise... perhaps ill leave a 4+ hour gap between positioning and the long haul. There are flights hourly from SYD-ADL so there are a few backup options if things start looking grim closer to the time i guess.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think your party would still need to do the document checks before the international flight at ADL. And AU exit immigration. QR will close the flight X minutes before scheduled departure.
A chance of late afternoon thunder storms in SYD - MEL - ADL. In Feb 2015 I had unplanned overnight stay in Adelaide due to a thunderstorm.
All your risk
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:07 am

I think your party would still need to do the document checks before the international flight at ADL. And AU exit immigration. QR will close the flight X minutes before scheduled departure.
A chance of late afternoon thunder storms in SYD - MEL - ADL. In Feb 2015 I had unplanned overnight stay in Adelaide due to a thunderstorm.
All your risk
hmmm maybe a morning flight and a day looking around ADL then... we would be toast if we missed our ADL-LHR long haul.
time to start googling Adelaide :-)
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...... we would be toast if we missed our ADL-LHR long haul....
That's the risk. Getting new awards at short notice not easy if you no show/cancel at short notice.. But am sure you have a credit card with a good limit!
Another of your posts on this trip:- "Due to the limited number of reward seats I have booked 1 x first class and 2 x business class tickets (avios reward seats) on the DOH-SYD flight"
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:47 pm

That's the risk. Getting new awards at short notice not easy if you no show/cancel at short notice.. But am sure you have a credit card with a good limit!
Another of your posts on this trip:- "Due to the limited number of reward seats I have booked 1 x first class and 2 x business class tickets (avios reward seats) on the DOH-SYD flight"
Yeah i had to do some trickery to work around the 2 reward seat limit that came into affect once qatar+avios happened... hence this ADL-DOH (QR915) is for my wife & daughter, im flying AKL-(ADL)-DOH (QR915 too) on the exact same flight so we can all be in the same qsuite quad... i will work out how much risk I'm willing to take ... but i am feeling a morning flight is very safe on the grand scheme of things... i dont think my wife wants to overnight in ADL and the risk of total cancellation of SYD-ADL is very low..
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
.... the risk of total cancellation of SYD-ADL is very low..
Not this year (combination of rain/flooding and covid staff shortages) ... QF cancellation rate is at a record high at 5.6% and 86% on time arrival rate. You may want to check your specific flight stats in order to make an informed decision. It really boils down to what your costs are if you miss the QR flight and have to rebuy tickets. Without high QR status my experience is that they are not very accomodating in bending the rules.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
Not this year (combination of rain/flooding and covid staff shortages) ... QF cancellation rate is at a record high at 5.6% and 86% on time arrival rate. You may want to check your specific flight stats in order to make an informed decision. It really boils down to what your costs are if you miss the QR flight and have to rebuy tickets. Without high QR status my experience is that they are not very accomodating in bending the rules.
Low level risk so long as you can arrive into ADL - say 12 hours prior. But to avoid the early SYD-ADL departure, just organise an overnight in Adelaide and do the whole trip with minimal stress.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Low level risk so long as you can arrive into ADL - say 12 hours prior. But to avoid the early SYD-ADL departure, just organise an overnight in Adelaide and do the whole trip with minimal stress.
In post 5 babyg_wc was considering 3 hrs.
The consequences of missing a long haul business class award for 2 pax are significant. The QR flight has ~22:20 departure time.
babyg_wc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.