QF scraps AA code shares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF scraps AA code shares

"Qantas will scrap some code-sharing and loyalty points reciprocity with American Airlines, in a move that will hurt customers but the carrier says will help convince United States authorities to approve a formal tie-up between the two companies."

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...28-gu0jtw.html

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jan 28, 2017 at 9:29 am Reason: added some context.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
What are the "overlapping routes" referred to, apart from the single SYD-LAX flight and maybe LAX-JFK?

Last edited by jridge; Jan 27, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:49 pm

Seriously, can any rational and business-savvy person make head or tail of the latest dribble from Joyce that doesn't involve a petulant throwing out of the baby with the bath water? Like, the DOT gives a rat's buttocks? Like Joyce has any concern whatsoever for any concept of the loyalty of his Qf FFers?! Like Joyce forgot that the US just voted in a totally errant (US-only-trade-screw-the rest of the world) POTUS and didn't get his Farley's rusk for breakfast?! Like, didn't QF / AA have a timeline to respond and go "nah, not interested in responding in that timeline it's all too hard"?! What is Joyce up to - channeling his alt right inner ferret head?

So glad I'm not shareholder of QF...watching millions of bucks line that muppet's pockets...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If AA and QF were to properly compete , then that would be a benefit to customers; a cosy cabal of joint venture does not benefit customers
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If AA and QF were to properly compete , then that would be a benefit to customers; a cosy cabal of joint venture does not benefit customers
Yep, we agree on that - but herein we're talking about "approved" codeshares...Joyce is being a very tricky muppet...time his bluff was called and emperor's clothes were revealed to be invisible trickery...

The lack of approval for JV (whether or not of market benefit to customers) is yet another monumental failure of QF's international strategy...here comes the self sabotage and brinkmanship to cover that failure...now watch the QF-biased media and self entitled government MPs (fattened on their chairman's lounge memberships and free bottles of wine in non compliance with QF's own ethical guidelines on political favouritism) suck it all up...yawn!

Last edited by Platy; Jan 27, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by jridge
What are the "overlapping routes" referred to, apart from the single SYD-LAX flight and maybe LAX-JFK?
May include connections from SYD through LAX and SFO to DFW (and return). And from Australian cities through AKL to LAX.

Potentially also SYD-HNL/LAX-YVR at certain times of year.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As far as I can tell, the QF release suggests that only the codeshares on "overlapping routes" (i.e. QF11/12 and AA72/73) are being dropped while domestically codeshares on each end and on other transpacific flights would remain.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Less SCs and awards on AA to LAX will cost more.

The real losers here are QFFs who preferred the AA hard product in J. A single, flat seat on either window as opposed to sleeping next to a total stranger for 14 hours.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Less SCs and awards on AA to LAX will cost more.

The real losers here are QFFs who preferred the AA hard product in J. A single, flat seat on either window as opposed to sleeping next to a total stranger for 14 hours.
Yes. I just proactively changed from QF310 to QF 12. There were about half a cabin of empty J seats and an hour later only a few empty seats. So I assume QF have started to move people. This is for a flight in a few months time. EF has already stopped showing QF310 but still shows the AA code on QF metal (LAX-SYD)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
As far as I can tell, the QF release suggests that only the codeshares on "overlapping routes" (i.e. QF11/12 and AA72/73) are being dropped while domestically codeshares on each end and on other transpacific flights would remain.
Looks like that. Not that it matters to me; I get more food on AA with a better seat. Even better most of flights home involve connecting with a flight in MIA (unfortunately these days) on the aircraft that becomes AA73. Can't miss a flight if you're on it.

I don't see any reason why the DoT should allow such collusion.

Last edited by bensyd; Jan 28, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
+1 on the superiority of the AA product.

It's chalk and cheese compared to their domestic offering. I flew SYD-LAX return in AA J a few months ago - outstanding experience.

Only complaint was the plastic cup for pre-departure champagne (...?), and if that's all I had to complain about I was going pretty well.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
The Qantas dribble spin their J seat on the A380 is still an "award winning"one is arrogant to say the least. If it was so good why did they upgrade the A330 fleet to 21st century suites?

Alan and Olivia time to stop the dribble and spin and just do the right thing and get the A380 J cabin up to standard. Very embarrassing considering many poorer carriers are sporting 1-2-1 direct isle access in J.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:28 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
The Qantas dribble spin their J seat on the A380 is still an "award winning"one is arrogant to say the least.
There was a competition in the QF Head Office Executive Tea Room one day and they decided that there would be an award for the worst possible seat. The rest is history.

But seriously though, the droopy Sky Bed Mk2 can be made nice and flat by shoving your cabin bag under the end of the seat when horizontal. That makes the nightmare droop into something approaching OK.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: QFF
QF confirmed that it was only the QF309/310 codes that are impacted.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
The Qantas dribble spin their J seat on the A380 is still an "award winning"one is arrogant to say the least. If it was so good why did they upgrade the A330 fleet to 21st century suites?

Alan and Olivia time to stop the dribble and spin and just do the right thing and get the A380 J cabin up to standard. Very embarrassing considering many poorer carriers are sporting 1-2-1 direct isle access in J.
respectfully, the wrong millionaires factory in your sights...Joyce as CEO (AUD8.428 million) and Gareth Evans as CEO International (AUD3.017 million)...

...thus over AUD11 millions per year worth to come up with the continuation of a sh_t product!!!

...cue the QF PR machine and the gullible Aussie aviation press...(oh and what's that - product reviews were paid for by QF...yet again?!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.