Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Should I move my loyalty from QF to AA FF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: *QANTAS - Platinum/Lifetime Gold *KLM - Platinum *Virgin - Gold *Etihad - Gold

I posted a few weeks ago about seeing if there was a way to retain QF Platinum without meeting the 4 QF segment minimum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-platinum.html).

I sent a polite email to QF asking if there was a way and explaining my future travel plans which would see me more than achieve this in the next period, their response? A big fat nothing. After ~2 weeks and one follow up email I have had nothing aside from an automated response. I also mentioned in my communication that I was waiting on their response to book my travel (and I now really can't wait any longer).

I appreciate I was asking something from them that they have no obligation to agree to, but to literally not reply to their Platinums? That kind of irked me, particularly after I kept my loyalty to them even when I moved abroad 5 years ago and it was not easy to retain Platinum.

So now I am at a crossroads...

Should I stay with QF, but forget about Platinum all together and travel SkyTeam where ever possible and credit to KLM or should I try to get AA status match?

I have 9 business class trips between Amsterdam and the US planned by the middle of the year. Plus some trips within Europe (economy). In the second half my schedule isn't as clear, but probably another 6 business class trips to the US.

Sky team is more convenient as they have direct flights AMS-JFK/EWR which is where I fly most. But I don't love the aircraft or the service.

Just want the program that gives me the most benefits. The most important benefits to me are priority service, upgrades, lounge access and points to put towards travel.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also feel welcome to move this post if there is a better place for it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:48 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
They may not be too interested if they cannot see (or even be told about) QF travel. Unless you are going AMS - (USA ) via Oz
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: *QANTAS - Platinum/Lifetime Gold *KLM - Platinum *Virgin - Gold *Etihad - Gold
Thanks og.

They can only see the flights I credit to QF, not the other flights I take. They can't see upcoming travel, but historically I have always met the QF platinum requirements. This year I am just a few SCs short, but would be able to get them before my renewal date if I wanted to.

I also mentioned in the email (which they didn't respond to) that I would have at least 2 trips to Australia next year in business.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
How far are you away from lifetime status? I suspect the 4 flights don't apply in that case.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Hi Fred,

I already have lifetime gold, not aware that there is a lifetime platinum.

Wanted to ideally stay QF platinum for upgrade availability and access to the lounge, but doesn't seem like that will happen hence why I'm looking to change.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by bubbles23
I posted a few weeks ago about seeing if there was a way to retain QF Platinum without meeting the 4 QF segment minimum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-platinum.html).

I sent a polite email to QF asking if there was a way and explaining my future travel plans which would see me more than achieve this in the next period, their response? A big fat nothing. After ~2 weeks and one follow up email I have had nothing aside from an automated response. I also mentioned in my communication that I was waiting on their response to book my travel (and I now really can't wait any longer).

I appreciate I was asking something from them that they have no obligation to agree to, but to literally not reply to their Platinums? That kind of irked me, particularly after I kept my loyalty to them even when I moved abroad 5 years ago and it was not easy to retain Platinum.

So now I am at a crossroads...

Should I stay with QF, but forget about Platinum all together and travel SkyTeam where ever possible and credit to KLM or should I try to get AA status match?

I have 9 business class trips between Amsterdam and the US planned by the middle of the year. Plus some trips within Europe (economy). In the second half my schedule isn't as clear, but probably another 6 business class trips to the US.

Sky team is more convenient as they have direct flights AMS-JFK/EWR which is where I fly most. But I don't love the aircraft or the service.

Just want the program that gives me the most benefits. The most important benefits to me are priority service, upgrades, lounge access and points to put towards travel.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also feel welcome to move this post if there is a better place for it.
Have you considered BAEC?

With travel plans like that you would easily be able to get BA Gold. AMS-LHR-NYC-LHR-AMS in J earns 360 Tier Points (TPs) with 1500 needed to reach Gold. 9 trips equals 3240TPs which means you would've earned an upgrade voucher (at 2500TPs) and be just shy of another one at 3500TPs. If you did have to take another 6 trips to the US in J then you would be right up towards 5000TPs which gets you Gold Guest List (GGL) and a Concorde Room Card. GGL has quite a lot of perks, there's more info over on the BA board.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bubbles23
Hi Fred,

I already have lifetime gold, not aware that there is a lifetime platinum.

Wanted to ideally stay QF platinum for upgrade availability and access to the lounge, but doesn't seem like that will happen hence why I'm looking to change.
If you have lifetime gold , then you have lifetime access to lounges.

Given the cost of upgrade awards on QF, I would definitely be looking at moving. 1st class lounges, where they exist, are a bit nicer than business ones, but not worth the poor value for redemptions.

If wanting to go on AA and credit to AA

If you were, say, to travel business class to USA on AA via LHR, the lowest business class fare to JFK is €2,432 ( $2603 ) of which $2509 is eligible for earning and rest is taxes

The base earning for this would be 2509 * 5 = 12,545 miles

You could get AA Platinum status on 1st trip ( via AA challenge ) , so on subsequent trips as platinum , you would get a 60% bonus ( 7,527 ) giving a total of 20,072

If you do 7 trips before 31 dec, you would get Executive platinum status with AA - future trips would then get a 120% bonus (15,054) for a total of 27,599 - plus you would have 4 systemwide upgrades

As a QF gold member crediting to QF, you would earn 12,800 for LHR-JFK-LHR plus 800 points for AMS-LHR-AMS for a total of 13,600.

To upgrade on QF using QF points from LHR-SYD from economy to business costs 96,000 points
A redemption ticket in business class from LHR-SYD costs 85,000 points and 1st class redemption is 115,000 points

Do 5 trips crediting to AA, and have earned enough for a business flight to Australia with 7 enough for a 1st class flight
Need to
It would take 7 trips crediting to QF, just to get enough for an economy-business upgrade

Alternatively, non stop services do would appealing

Originally Posted by perthflyer
Have you considered BAEC?

With travel plans like that you would easily be able to get BA Gold. AMS-LHR-NYC-LHR-AMS in J earns 360 Tier Points (TPs) with 1500 needed to reach Gold. 9 trips equals 3240TPs which means you would've earned an upgrade voucher (at 2500TPs) and be just shy of another one at 3500TPs. If you did have to take another 6 trips to the US in J then you would be right up towards 5000TPs which gets you Gold Guest List (GGL) and a Concorde Room Card. GGL has quite a lot of perks, there's more info over on the BA board.
I wouldn't be taking BA given that he can get status on AA and get much higher redemption values. BA redemptions require payment of large carrier surcharges ( nee fuel surcharges ) and earnings are tied to distance rather than fare. May get 1 upgrade voucher at 2500 TPs, but AA will provide 4 upgrade vouchers when reaching Executive Platinum status

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 31, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you have lifetime gold , then you have lifetime access to lounges.

Given the cost of upgrade awards on QF, I would definitely be looking at moving. 1st class lounges, where they exist, are a bit nicer than business ones, but not worth the poor value for redemptions.

If wanting to go on AA and credit to AA

If you were, say, to travel business class to USA on AA via LHR, the lowest business class fare to JFK is €2,432 ( $2603 ) of which $2509 is eligible for earning and rest is taxes

The base earning for this would be 2509 * 5 = 12,545 miles

You could get AA Platinum status on 1st trip ( via AA challenge ) , so on subsequent trips as platinum , you would get a 60% bonus ( 7,527 ) giving a total of 20,072

If you do 7 trips before 31 dec, you would get Executive platinum status with AA - future trips would then get a 120% bonus (15,054) for a total of 27,599 - plus you would have 4 systemwide upgrades

As a QF gold member crediting to QF, you would earn 12,800 for LHR-JFK-LHR plus 800 points for AMS-LHR-AMS for a total of 13,600.

To upgrade on QF using QF points from LHR-SYD from economy to business costs 96,000 points
A redemption ticket in business class from LHR-SYD costs 85,000 points and 1st class redemption is 115,000 points

Do 5 trips crediting to AA, and have earned enough for a business flight to Australia with 7 enough for a 1st class flight
Need to
It would take 7 trips crediting to QF, just to get enough for an economy-business upgrade

Alternatively, non stop services do would appealing

I wouldn't be taking BA given that he can get status on AA and get much higher redemption values. BA redemptions require payment of large carrier surcharges ( nee fuel surcharges ) and earnings are tied to distance rather than fare. May get 1 upgrade voucher at 2500 TPs, but AA will provide 4 upgrade vouchers when reaching Executive Platinum status
Depends on what is valued most. Lounge access was stated as one of the preferable perks and with frequent transatlantic travel the CCR is quite satisfactory and is far superior to any lounge offering available as EXP. Also with GGL the ability to force award availability on any flight is quite a bonus as well.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by perthflyer
Depends on what is valued most. Lounge access was stated as one of the preferable perks and with frequent transatlantic travel the CCR is quite satisfactory and is far superior to any lounge offering available as EXP. Also with GGL the ability to force award availability on any flight is quite a bonus as well.
I disagree that the Concorde Room is that much superior to other 1st class lounges at Heathrow. It may be a bit better than the 1st BA lounge in T3 and the CX lounges but not by much

In order to reach Gold Guest List and get access to the Concorde Room, 5000 TPs would need to be earned, which is far beyond that which is indicated as would attain

Being able to force an award with huge surcharges seems limited in value to me

Looking at BA earnings , would get 9,208 as a blue member, 14,082 as a silver member and 18,034 as a gold member

compared against AA, that is 9208 vs 12545 / 14,082 vs 20,072 / 18,034 vs 27,599

again looking at a redemption to Australia, BA would charge 125k off peak on BA , 150k peak on BA , 150k on any other airline - ( plusGBP232 surcharge ) for business class. In 1st class the rates would be 170k, 200k , 200k ( again plus GBP232 )

about a 1/3 lower earning rate with redemption cost 47-76% higher in busines class and redemption cost 54%-81% higher in 1st class ( plus GBP232 additional fee )

taking the 1/3 less ( approx ) earnings, it requires 2.2 times - 2.67 times the number in trips to earn a business award and 2.23 - 2.75 times the number of trips to earn a 1st class award

Makes visits to the Concorde room very expensive

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 31, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being able to force an award with huge surcharges seems limited in value to me
Each to their own. But if you have a stack of points and the surcharges are much less than the cost of a cash ticket, having better award availability is a very attractive feature - particularly if awards for the preferred route are normally near non existent.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by og
Each to their own. But if you have a stack of points and the surcharges are much less than the cost of a cash ticket, having better award availability is a very attractive feature - particularly if awards for the preferred route are normally near non existent.
...arguably, such a scenario would only occur if folk have not optimised their FF strategy by (1) diversifying and (2) substantially avoiding the lousy QF scheme

..met a couple recently who had 700,000 QF pts stashed and no idea - gave them a list of FF web sites to study and the 5-minute briefing on how to reset their whole FF outlook...

In any case, they are no guarantees that having high QF status will necessarily provide better availability for a desired itinerary.

IMHO having access to a greater variety of airline reward space thorough a diversified FF strategy is most likely to offset the possibility that QF may or may not release extra reward seats to some members...and some OneWorld rewards (such as CX) don't even show for QF (but do for other partners such as BA)...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
...arguably, such a scenario would only occur if folk have not optimised their FF strategy by (1) diversifying and (2) substantially avoiding the lousy QF scheme
In any case, they are no guarantees that having high QF status will necessarily provide better availability for a desired itinerary.

IMHO having access to a greater variety of airline reward space thorough a diversified FF strategy is most likely to offset the possibility that QF may or may not release extra reward seats to some members...and some OneWorld rewards (such as CX) don't even show for QF (but do for other partners such as BA)...
You sound like you are advising on a SMSF

But yes, diversification also works in my favour - UA being consistently the best program out of my QF, AA, UA and AS memberships.

I'm running about 50% successful on better QF awards as WP.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:13 pm

Other than awards to/from USA , I am not that sure what awards would be that much easier to get with QFF as long as having reasonable flexibility

Having large redemption costs plus high cash co payments seems a high price to pay to me

The normal potential drawback of AA is the lounge access in North America. Holding LT Sapphire status, there seems to be little benefit to me to not going to AA.

I would be more looking towards Star Alliance if I was in the OP's situation- UA also is fare based earnings and Star Alliance seems much easier for awards ime
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by og
You sound like you are advising on a SMSF
I hadn't even got to use the phrase "mixed portfolio" yet...!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:40 pm

The normal potential drawback of AA is the lounge access in North America. Holding LT Sapphire status, there seems to be little benefit to me to not going to AA.
IIRC AA is going to change the access rules for Flagship Lounges to allow Sapphire entry anyway...(yet another dilution of WP).

FWIW I like to have a stash of about 200,000 QF points in case I need to get to Europe on short notice - EK seems to release premium reward seats close to departure date...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.