FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   FLEX booking class - what BA booking code? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1815417-flex-booking-class-what-ba-booking-code.html)

tmac100 Jan 15, 2017 8:52 am

FLEX booking class - what BA booking code?

I try to fly strategically to maintain BAEC Silver and *A Gold. With that in mind, I am looking @ QF704 (MEL-CNS) in Flex. I would like to know how to find out which "class" this economy flight is (ie Y,G,H, V,B,...) - before I make the booking,. I need the "letter" so I can use the BAEC flight calculator to find the Tier Points (5 or 20). Sometimes it is worth (IMHO) paying for a Business class 1-way instead of 2 "cheap" economy flights if the Tier Point returns are significantly better.

FLEX info says that I will get 1200 Qantas miles or points, but since I am BAEC, I need to know how many Tier Points I would earn/get/receive.

TIA for any info.

Dave Noble Jan 15, 2017 11:05 am

Depending on the fare being charged

Red-e-deal can be any of O,E,Q,N,S,V and L classes
Flex can be any of M,K,H,B and Y classes

Globaliser Jan 15, 2017 11:46 am

There's a long running thread on this, although I'm not sure whether there is sufficiently up-to-date information on the current website setup: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...antas-com.html

An alternative is to get the total price from the QF website, preferably (if available) with the breakdown between base fare and TFC. Then go to ITA and price the flight using different booking classes until you find a match, which will then give you the fare basis code and therefore the booking class used. Or if you have full access to ExpertFlyer, look at the fare ladder there to see whether you can find the fare whose base fare matches the base fare being used by the QF website.

serfty Jan 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Look like the methods need revisiting since a new booking engine was released in the last couple of months.

A manual comparison with ExpertFlyer shows the an inclusive $426 Flex fare on Feb 16 books into M class (MQFLEX).

I did this by comparing the fare breakdown as shown in the recently introduced "Basket" with results from ExpertFlyer. ($362.82base fare)

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Fare Information Search:

Departing MEL on 16/02/17 for CNS, Flying QF, Purchasing at MEL, Viewing in currency AUD, Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type  Fare          Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                    Class                                      Date      Date        Stay    Purchase Req
MQFLEX      QF      M        One-Way    362.82 (AUD)  E                                      03
MPXI        QF      M        One-Way    363.09 (AUD)  E                                     
MQFLEX      QF      M        One-Way    363.09 (AUD)  E                                      03
MPXI        QF      M        One-Way    372.74 (AUD)  E                                     
MQFLEX      QF      M        One-Way    372.74 (AUD)  E                                      03
KIX        QF      K        One-Way    422.17 (AUD)  E                                     
KQFLEX      QF      K        One-Way    422.17 (AUD)  E                                      03
KIX        QF      K        One-Way    424.64 (AUD)  E                                     
KQFLEX      QF      K        One-Way    424.64 (AUD)  E                                      03
KIX        QF      K        One-Way    431.83 (AUD)  E                                     
KQFLEX      QF      K        One-Way    431.83 (AUD)  E                                      03
HQFLEX      QF      H        One-Way    485.82 (AUD)  E                                      03
HQFLEX      QF      H        One-Way    493.73 (AUD)  E                                      03
HQFLEX      QF      H        One-Way    495.47 (AUD)  E                                      03
BQFLEX      QF      B        One-Way    663.09 (AUD)  E                                      03
BQFLEX      QF      B        One-Way    670.09 (AUD)  E                                      03
BQFLEX      QF      B        One-Way    672.74 (AUD)  E                                      03
YQFLEX      QF      Y        One-Way    826.73 (AUD)  E                                      03
YQFLEX      QF      Y        One-Way    836.38 (AUD)  E                                      03
YQFLEX      QF      Y        One-Way    844.64 (AUD)  E                                      03

serfty Jan 15, 2017 2:26 pm

You might be able to force a specific class using ITA - see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-lh-lx-tk.html

Dave Noble Jan 15, 2017 3:37 pm

The easiest method if concerned on what the booking class will be might be just to phone up and ask a reservations agent what it is

Globaliser Jan 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 27766020)
You might be able to force a specific class using ITA ...

If it's just to test whether a specific booking class returns a certain price, the easiest thing is probably just to use an advanced routing code:-

mel
qf /f bc=m
cns

And uncheck the box for "Only show flights and prices with available seats".

Then you can repeat for different booking classes until you get a fare that matches.

This doesn't always work for all booking classes because sometimes some fares seem to be caught by point of sale restrictions, but I think it's usually pretty reliable for the higher economy booking classes.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27766291)
The easiest method if concerned on what the booking class will be might be just to phone up and ask a reservations agent what it is

If the OP is in the UK, that might not be quite as easy as it sounds, or quite as easy as a quick, reliable and free internet method.

serfty Jan 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Looking at BA, they are looking for H, B or Y fare, earns 20 TP rather than 5 for M/K.

I see an H fare for AU$586 - it appears to be bookable using the American [+] Australia link on the above script.

Note that the OP may wish to consider the AU$1060 'D' fare that earns 40TP's.

Another option is the H fare is available via SYD or BNE for ~AU$600 - earns double the TP's.

tmac100 Jan 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 27766552)
Looking at BA, they are looking for H, B or Y fare, earns 20 TP rather than 5 for M/K.

I see an H fare for AU$586 - it appears to be bookable using the American [+] Australia link on the above script.

Note that the OP may wish to consider the AU$1060 'D' fare that earns 40TP's.

Another option is the H fare is available via SYD or BNE for ~AU$600 - earns double the TP's.

Thanks everyone for this information. Still lots of time left to do the booking for July, but this is a good way to help me choose.

Thanks serfty for suggesting the 2-sector flight instead of the non-stop. Double the TPs.

sabbasolo Oct 25, 2017 10:49 pm

This is very annoying. A lot of work just to see the booking class, and still uncertainty. Does QF have a 24 hr cancellation policy?

Can I book and then see the booking class on the e-ticket, and cancel if I don't like it?
Is there a way to put a fare on hold and see the class that way?

Why aren't they more transparent?

Looking at Expert Flyer helps, but doesn't give an exact match.

ITA won't give me for example the V class return fares if I specify qf /f bc=v but gives more expensive one way v fares.

Dave Noble Oct 26, 2017 3:21 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo (Post 28978188)
This is very annoying. A lot of work just to see the booking class, and still uncertainty. Does QF have a 24 hr cancellation policy?

No

Can I book and then see the booking class on the e-ticket, and cancel if I don't like it?
Is there a way to put a fare on hold and see the class that way?

Only if it is a refundable fare

Why aren't they more transparent?

Looking at Expert Flyer helps, but doesn't give an exact match.

ITA won't give me for example the V class return fares if I specify qf /f bc=v but gives more expensive one way v fares.

Because it is irrelevant to most passengers and to those crediting to QFF - the type of fare determines the QF earning

Matrix will not show it since the fares that Matrix shows are those that can be sold outside of Australia rather than those within

For domestic travel , all fares are based as one ways

serfty Oct 26, 2017 8:40 pm

This is very annoying. A lot of work just to see the booking class, and still uncertainty. ...

See my post regarding viewing the source code with Firefox here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...l#post28981297

... Does QF have a 24 hr cancellation policy? ...

No, but they do have a "Same Day" change policy for bookings made online.

Same Day No Mistake | Qantas

Cancel Flights | Qantas

Koru Flyer Oct 28, 2017 3:16 am

I am also often in the same situation.

So for the Op, the same day fare change could be the go, as it say “change fare type”. Book a ticket then call for it to be changed to the right fare for BA maximum earning. I am not sure what would be easier, booking fixed and asking for flex in YBH or booking flex which usually ends up in M and asking for a higher fare, which has no difference in restrictions.

Other option would be of course a travel agent.

Ultimately, you want the cheapest fare that gets 20 TP or work out the up sell to /I/ or /D/.

I think that would be easier than scripts and messing around in the internet.

KF