Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How do you find the fare class on Qantas.com ?

Old Dec 22, 07, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I strongly suspect this question has been asked previously but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer using " Search ". Please don't hesitate to provide a link(s) to existing threads.

How does a person find the fare class of a ticket they are purchasing on Qantas.com ? I am looking at flights from SIN to LHR that are listed as a "Value" fare. The only reference I can find to fare class when booking is by clicking on Value and it states " Classed as Discount Economy for Status Credit Earn ".

Discount Economy appears to include a multitude of different fare classes with different RDM and EQM earning rates on partner airlines.

There must be a way of finding the exact fare class when purchasing a ticket. How do I find it ?

Thanks very much in advance.

P.S. The last time I purchased a ticket on Qantas.com was well over a year ago. IIRC correctly the fare class was displayed fairly early on in the process. Has something changed, or is my memory faulty ?
Old Dec 22, 07, 11:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by thebobmc View Post
I strongly suspect this question has been asked previously but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer using " Search ". Please don't hesitate to provide a link(s) to existing threads.

How does a person find the fare class of a ticket they are purchasing on Qantas.com ? I am looking at flights from SIN to LHR that are listed as a "Value" fare. The only reference I can find to fare class when booking is by clicking on Value and it states " Classed as Discount Economy for Status Credit Earn ".

Discount Economy appears to include a multitude of different fare classes with different RDM and EQM earning rates on partner airlines.

There must be a way of finding the exact fare class when purchasing a ticket. How do I find it ?

Thanks very much in advance.
From memory, there is a fairly clunky way of doing it, by looking at the source for the page you are viewing and going into the JavaScript coding, which will reveal it.

As I said, it is fairly clunky, but at least it will tell you before you book what class you will be booking into.

Dave
Old Dec 22, 07, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There used to be a way for domestic flights but isnt so easy anymore. One easy way to check would be to phone and ask

Alternatively , check for flights on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego . Find one with the same fare for SIN-LHR r/t with SIN as the purchasing city; go into the details, then click on booking details, and you can see the fare breakdown including fare basis

e.g. for Feb next year, QF has a fare with base $998 r/t ... checking on ITA the fare basis for the $998 fare is VLSS1YSG

Dave
Old Dec 22, 07, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I had seen a reference to the "source code" idea on another thread when I was searching. But I am not technically savvy enough to get that to work for me, if someone could provide details on exactly how to get this information it would be greatly appreciated.

Checking ITA is a good idea. But some of the lower priced Qantas fares don't seem to show up on ITA.

If I phone my local Qantas office will they be able to give me the class of a particular fare, even if it is an Internet only special ?
Old Dec 22, 07, 12:47 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I had seen a reference to the "source code" idea on another thread when I was searching. But I am not technically savvy enough to get that to work for me, if someone could provide details on exactly how to get this information it would be greatly appreciated.

Checking ITA is a good idea. But some of the lower priced Qantas fares don't seem to show up on ITA.

If I phone my local Qantas office will they be able to give me the class of a particular fare, even if it is an Internet only special ?
The source code approach used to work, but the site has been changed since then and doesn't seem to. I just did a check for Feb where the lowest fare on Qantas site was showing as $998 plus tax and found that on ITA ok; do make sure that you set your "sales city" to SIN rather than the default which is in the USA. The cheaper SIN fares are only available for sale in SIN and do not show up otherwise. With the sales city set to BOS, the lowest fare returned is an H class fare

Dave
Old Dec 22, 07, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
do make sure that you set your "sales city" to SIN rather than the default which is in the USA. The cheaper SIN fares are only available for sale in SIN and do not show up otherwise. With the sales city set to BOS, the lowest fare returned is an H class fare

Dave
I DID NOT KNOW THAT !

Dave, thanks very much. I have only used ITA for checking fares from North America. I did not realize that changing the Sales City would give you a wider range of fares.

Is it reasonable to assume that if the price shown on Qantas.com is the same as the price on ITA that I will be purchasing the same fare class on Qantas.com as what is listed on ITA ?
Old Dec 22, 07, 5:43 pm

I DID NOT KNOW THAT !

Dave, thanks very much. I have only used ITA for checking fares from North America. I did not realize that changing the Sales City would give you a wider range of fares.

Is it reasonable to assume that if the price shown on Qantas.com is the same as the price on ITA that I will be purchasing the same fare class on Qantas.com as what is listed on ITA ?
Yah... go into the details and you will see that if base fare is identical then it is the same fare as the QF site

Normally ITA gives you fares that are valid for sale from USA, but for fares which have country of issue restrictions, set the point of sale accordingly and you're on ya way

Dave
Old Oct 13, 08, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There used to be a way for domestic flights but isnt so easy anymore. One easy way to check would be to phone and ask
Qantas have updated their domestic web booking engine and one can now ascertain the exact booking class fare bucket for a domestic flight before purchasing.

You can do it on the website by:
  • Doing a flight/fare search for your dates/destination and bringing up the list of available flights/prices,
  • looking for the flight/price you wish
  • Viewing the page source
  • Repeating the following until you find your fare bucket code:
    • search for "addClasse" (it's easiest to simply "Page Down")
    • you will see something like:
      "theRecommandation.addClasse('O');"
    • Two lines above that would be a line similar to the following:
      "var theRecommandation = new Recommandation(0, 103.69);"
    • if the price when rounded up matches the price you are looking for (e.g.156.99 -> 157), then your fare class is that contained in the addClasse search, e.g. ('O')
      e.g.
      Code:
      var theRecommandation = new Recommandation(1, 109.0);

theRecommandation.addClasse('O');
    • if the price does not match repeat until you find it.
  • Note that for multi segment options there will be an addclasse line for each segment, e.g. The following is a $1420 2 segment Business class fare in D and J:
    Code:
    var theRecommandation = new Recommandation(42, 1419.7);

theRecommandation.addClasse('D');

theRecommandation.addClasse('J');

Last edited by serfty; Nov 30, 08 at 4:06 pm Reason: additional tips
Old Sep 7, 10, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been pointed out on AFF that there is an easier way to check booking class before you finalise it:

Re: QF Booking Class?

Originally Posted by MarcB
If you want to see the booking class, once you have selected your flights and are on the "Review" page, right click on your mouse and click on "view source". When the source page opens, scroll down until you see (after a big blank section) a line that starts with "var mileageRequest". Then look a little further down (about 8 rows) for the line that says "mileageRequest += "&CLASSES=". After the = sign, you will see the booking classes for each sector. If you are doing a multi-sector itinerary, it is relatively easy to view which sector is which by looking at the entry a few lines above which starts with "mileageRequest += "&SECTORS=". Each sector is separated by a comma, and the fare classes follow the same format. For example a SYD-BNE-SYD you see the following in the source code:

var mileageRequest = this.earnPointsConnectorUrl;
mileageRequest += "&REQUEST_ID="+this.earnPointsRequest_Id;
mileageRequest += "&SECTORS=SYD/BNE,BNE/SYD";
mileageRequest += "&SEGMENT_ID=1,2";
mileageRequest += "&FLIGHT_NUMBERS=532,557";
mileageRequest += "&AIRLINE_CODES=QF,QF";
mileageRequest += "&OPERATING_CODES=*,*";
mileageRequest += "&NB_STOPS=0,0";
mileageRequest += "&CLASSES=L,E";
mileageRequest += "&FQTV_NUMBER_LIST=*";
mileageRequest += "&DATES=150320101505/150320101535,150320101925/150320102200";
return mileageRequest;

I have found this an invaluable method for checking which fare class I am booking into, especially when trying to ascertain best fare availability with ExpertFlyer etc.

This method works for both domestic and international bookings. For example, SYD-SIN-SYD returns this:

var mileageRequest = this.earnPointsConnectorUrl;
mileageRequest += "&REQUEST_ID="+this.earnPointsRequest_Id;
mileageRequest += "&SECTORS=SYD/SIN,SIN/SYD";
mileageRequest += "&SEGMENT_ID=1,2";
mileageRequest += "&FLIGHT_NUMBERS=5,6";
mileageRequest += "&AIRLINE_CODES=QF,QF";
mileageRequest += "&OPERATING_CODES=*,*";
mileageRequest += "&NB_STOPS=0,0";
mileageRequest += "&CLASSES=V,V";
mileageRequest += "&FQTV_NUMBER_LIST=*";
mileageRequest += "&DATES=160320101655/160320102145,220320101955/230320100625";
return mileageRequest;

So in this case, the fares selected are booking into V class.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 9, 11, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I brushed the cobwebs off my JavaScript hat, put it on and did some coding.

I have set up a GreaseMonkey script to present the fare buckets to punters as the 'review' page comes up.

Any who would like to test it, please PM me. ..

Note that it does not work (yet) on xASA's.
Old Dec 13, 11, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post

It does not work (yet) on xASA's.
V0.2 now does xASA's.

Pop-up apears with a summary and now, inserts the fare bucket code beside each flight under "Fare Type".

Those who have the URL already can reload the script; others who would like to try it can PM me for more information.

Old Dec 14, 11, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you upload the script file into Greasemonkey ?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 14, 11 at 12:49 am
Old Dec 14, 11, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using a Firefox Browser with Greasemonkey installed and running, click on the link I sent you. It should identify the file as a GM script and give you an acceptance/install box. Intall it and you are set.

Then just go to Qantas.com and search for your flights.
Old Mar 24, 13, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
How do you upload the script file into Greasemonkey ?
Using a Firefox Browser with Greasemonkey installed and running, click on the link I sent you. It should identify the file as a GM script and give you an acceptance/install box. Intall it and you are set.

Then just go to Qantas.com and search for your flights.
As a follow on to your recent post on this subject linking to this thread when I have tried to install get a error
"Line: 35
Char: 1
Error: 'document' is undefined
Code: 800A1391
Source: Microsoft JScript runtime error"

Same on 2 computers: Window8 & XP both with latest firefox
Will ask you again for assistance after Easter

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 14, 13 at 3:48 am
Old Mar 24, 13, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Working fine for me on FF 19.0 ...