Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BNE - overnight stop over?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by nux
At LHR checkin you would need to ask for it to be short checked to MEL only. You would then need to check it in again at MEL before the onward flight.
Thanks. If we do not do that, do we pick up the bags to clear customs at MEL and then hand them back in?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Thanks. If we do not do that, do we pick up the bags to clear customs at MEL and then hand them back in?
Sorry, you're right your bags will come out at MEL regardless for customs. I'm not sure you will be able to recheck them that night.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by nux
Sorry, you're right your bags will come out at MEL regardless for customs. I'm not sure you will be able to recheck them that night.
I thought the MEL domestic check in would be closed at that time as you probably clear inbound immigration, baggage claim and biosecurity around 10 pm.
Anyway jlsw7 you will have access to your bags at MEL, you may even have the tags and BP to BNE so only need to go to bag drop off at MEL in the morning.
Otherwise take your bags to the hotel and go through check in at MEL domestic in the morning.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by nux
At LHR checkin you would need to ask for it to be short checked to MEL only. You would then need to check it in again at MEL before the onward flight.
Why would they need to do this, since bags have to be collected in MEL before Customs anyway?

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta
Why would they need to do this, since bags have to be collected in MEL before Customs anyway?

Dave
It's always a good idea to read through the full thread (which in this case was only a few more replies) before posting.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:32 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nux
It's always a good idea to read through the full thread (which in this case was only a few more replies) before posting.
I actually had my reply composed and was ready to hit post itwhen I was called away. I hit send afterI got back several hours later (the other replies coming in in the meantime).

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta
I actually had my reply composed and was ready to hit post itwhen I was called away. I hit send afterI got back several hours later (the other replies coming in in the meantime).
My corrected post was 16 minutes after the first, your reply was 18 hours later.

Last edited by nux; Mar 4, 2016 at 4:52 am
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BA
Have you looked at BA/CX/JL and then QF via SIN, HKG, or NRT? QF have direct flights out of those Asian ports into BNE which generally are timed as overnight sectors to BNE, landing first thing in the morning. That was always my preferred itinerary. I've always avoided the QF10 due to the late arrival into MEL. Depends how many sectors you want to be on QF metal.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:47 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nux
My corrected post was 16 minutes after the first, your reply was 18 hours later.
Like I said, I had the reply composed, was about to post it, got called away on a fire call, got home about ten hours later, went to bed, then found it still sitting there on my computer when I got up.

Not that it really matters....

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by expatboy
Have you looked at BA/CX/JL and then QF via SIN, HKG, or NRT? QF have direct flights out of those Asian ports into BNE which generally are timed as overnight sectors to BNE, landing first thing in the morning. That was always my preferred itinerary. I've always avoided the QF10 due to the late arrival into MEL. Depends how many sectors you want to be on QF metal.
Thanks. I did look around, but this is an award booking for 4 people over Christmas with AA miles, so choices were limited. There were only a handful of dates that it was viable to travel on due to school holidays. I was able to get 4 seats in F on the same flight on my preferred date and so am absolutely delighted. I was fully expecting to have to split the family in different cabins or on different flights. The arrival time at MEL is not what I would choose, but the departure time from LHR is ideal, so no complaints at all.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Thanks. I did look around, but this is an award booking for 4 people over Christmas with AA miles, so choices were limited. There were only a handful of dates that it was viable to travel on due to school holidays. I was able to get 4 seats in F on the same flight on my preferred date and so am absolutely delighted. I was fully expecting to have to split the family in different cabins or on different flights. The arrival time at MEL is not what I would choose, but the departure time from LHR is ideal, so no complaints at all.
^ Excellent news jlsw7, glad you got sorted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.