Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
My Upgrade Bid was ... (perhaps unsurprisingly) unsuccessful.
How much and which date?

Or if you don't want to reveal the date, what is the current availability showing on EF?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

By the way, if you have the QF points, you can try for an on departure upgrade during check-in.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
How much and which date?

Or if you don't want to reveal the date, what is the current availability showing on EF?
Currently showing J2.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
By the way, if you have the QF points, you can try for an on departure upgrade during check-in.
'On departure upgrades' using points are only available for domestic flights.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DH188
'On departure upgrades' using points are only available for domestic flights.
Sorry I’m referring to international upgrades up to the gate as qantas terms it.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by sxc

Sorry I’m referring to international upgrades up to the gate as qantas terms it.
Yes, but those cannot be requested at airport check-in.
Rather, they're an additional option to the standard international upgrade request, which has to be registered >24 hours before departure.

​​​​​​https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...pgrade-rewards
​​​​​​You can request an international Classic Upgrade Reward up until 24 hours before your flight leaves on eligible paid and confirmed tickets and on Economy and Premium Economy Classic Flight Rewards on flights operated by Qantas...

International Classic Upgrade Rewards up to the gate

Qantas is committed to providing international Classic Upgrade Rewards wherever we can. Upgrades may become available at the last minute due to cancellations, no-shows or missed connections. To increase your chances of an upgrade your request can now be further considered at the airport. To be eligible simply select 'upgrade at the airport' when you register for a Classic Upgrade Reward.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Hey guys!
I have bid to upgrade but no email yet to say yes or no. It’s been past the 24 hour mark. In the iniatial email it says don’t check in til you heard from us. Does checking in eliminate my chances?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Well, we had some luck. 2 adults and 2 kids in PE from LHR to DXB. I'm OWE and the others are OWS. We bid Ł155 each for an upgrade to business on a busy flight. The bids were rejected, but the flight was overbooked and we were all upgraded for free at check-in! We bid the same for the return. The flight was pretty empty in premium economy and business, but we were not upgraded.

It was our first time in PE on QF and we were really impressed.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:21 pm

Even though my outbound Upgrade Bid ($440) was not successful, I found PE to be quite satisfactory. It did feel more Business Lite than Plus Economy.

I had forgotten that I had lowballed the Upgrade Bid ($300) for my return. (I had intended to cancel it.) To my surprise, my bid was successful! @@ Computer said YES! Couldn't select a seat so rolled up to check-in ready with a screenshot from Seat Guru on my phone. I was given an F seat, as there was an aisle seat request on my booking or in my FF profile. Yeah, F is a J aisle seat. I then asked "which row?". The answer was in the single digits, which was not noted on the J class cabin seat guide. She insisted it was an aisle seat as ALL THE SEATS WERE AISLE SEATS. @@

So, without any FF status (well Bronze but no points) and with having never flown with QF before, my $300 forgotten Upgrade Bid got me from PE to a First Class Suite! @@

This was for a flight at the start of a long (4-day) holiday weekend, and the flight was quiet. I didn't check availability as I wasn't expecting anything from my bid, but I did look at occupied seats (ExpertFlyer) in PE and J the night before. J was more than half empty, and PE only had about 7-8 seats marked as occupied.
sxc likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:00 am

Don't mean to serial post but I didn't cancel the special meal I had ordered, so that didn't affect it, which I thought it might.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
AA Executive Platinum/OW Emerald booked on QF 93 (MEL-LAX) Sunday 2 Sept in paid W. Booked on AA with AA flight number and my AA FF number.

I just signed up for a QF FF number and have one now.

Flight is F9 J9 (9s across the board in fact, despite the W seat map showing one seat available).

What's my next step to work on getting an upgrade bid in? The process isn't quite clear to me.

I have a US Amex Platinum from which I can transfer points, if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited by HofstraJet; Aug 27, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
AFAIK if your flight number is AA then you need to engage with AA to see if they can find availability ( unlikely). QF will target their own FFers (with QF flight numbers) and QF status is key to this. QF “invite” by email those who are eligible - but this is no guarantee of an upgrade. QF will be glad you joined the program but that’s about as far as it goes - unless you buy your tickets with QF flight numbers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AA codeshare on QF cannot be upgraded by bidding or any other means, you have to buy the QF flight number. Sorry. What FF number you have in the booking makes no difference. This is because there is no revenue split provision in the codeshare agreement, AA buys the seat from QF and cannot pay an upgrade fee to QF (and you have no ticket with QF so they cannot sell you an upgrade, only AA can). One of the many downsides of buying a codeshare (remeber codeshares are 100% for the airline's benefit, never for your benefit).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by og
AFAIK if your flight number is AA then you need to engage with AA to see if they can find availability ( unlikely). QF will target their own FFers (with QF flight numbers) and QF status is key to this. QF “invite” by email those who are eligible - but this is no guarantee of an upgrade. QF will be glad you joined the program but that’s about as far as it goes - unless you buy your tickets with QF flight numbers.
Does anyone know if you can attach a QFF to an AA booking ? Maybe ask AA to remove the attached AA/FF after the fact ? Assuming it's not possible...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altitud
Does anyone know if you can attach a QFF to an AA booking? Maybe ask AA to remove the attached AA/FF after the fact? Assuming it's not possible...
Is this question anything to do with "Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories"?

You can attach a QF freq flyer number to an AA reservation.
If you have a AA ffn in the AA reservation try phoning AA and ask them to change to a QF ffn
or AY manage my booking https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/customer-care#
or RJ manage my booking https://rj.com/

Would expect changing ffn after a flight would be hard to impossible.
Have read on FT of people successfully changing ffn after a flight with different airlines. But more that have failed.

Edit
AA thread :--->Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 31, 2018 at 5:41 pm Reason: added AA thread link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.