Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF10 Re-timing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

QF10 Re-timing

Back in April I finally managed to secure flights for my wife, baby daughter and myself (for early January next year) with my hard earned Qantas points returning home (MEL) from seeing my wife's family for Christmas in Scotland. Weeks later I was advised by Qantas that QF10 has been re-timed and as EK26 (our flight from GLA) no longer connects with this flight we will have to be placed on another flight and that means an additional stop for us. Traveling with an infant is hard at the best of times and this is why we had intentionally booked the original flights so we wouldn't have to have more than one stop. Qantas now informs me there is nothing they can do about the additional stop. I have been more than flexible giving them a departure date range from GLA of 5 days. I have even said I don't mind if we fly out of EDI (with Qatar). Still they can't offer me anything with one stop. I have spent a lot of money with Qantas to earn my points and as I had confirmed bookings (which we extremely hard to get in the first place) Is it unreasonable to expect Qantas to make alternate arrangements (with Emirates or Qatar) without my family and I having to put up with an additional stop? It is frustrating to hear from them that my paid booking on QF10 can be easily changed to the connecting Emirates flight but my points bookings for my wife and baby cannot.

I know the re-timing of QF10 is so the A380 can spend less time on the ground and make more money for Qantas but feel if this is they way they are going to treat Platinum Qantas Frequent Flyers then they may not end up making much money at all.

Any advice or comment would be appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The airline has met its obligation in providing replacement flights.

The new flights may not be ideal, but unless there is award availability, not likely to get Qantas to rebook onto airlines such as QR for an award flight
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

QF10 Re-timing

It's such great customer service by them.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The airline has met its obligation in providing replacement flights.
Does this entirely satisfy "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity"? That alternative makes no reference to being subject to availability (unlike the last alternative in the article).

As there seems to be a good connection at DXB from EK26 to EK406 (non-stop DXB-MEL), why isn't the airline obliged to put them on the faster non-stop flight?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Does this entirely satisfy "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity"? That alternative makes no reference to being subject to availability (unlike the last alternative in the article).

As there seems to be a good connection at DXB from EK26 to EK406 (non-stop DXB-MEL), why isn't the airline obliged to put them on the faster non-stop flight?
I think that it would be classed as comparable transport conditions.

Even so , I do not think that EU261 will apply in this situation. There is no change to the passenger's flight departing from Glasgow; the impacted flight is from DXB-MEL which is not covered by EU261.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I'm trying to work out what flights QF has rebooked you on.

Given you have some flexibility surely there can be something that works, even if it requires a long layover or stopover in DXB
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
I'm trying to work out what flights QF has rebooked you on.

Given you have some flexibility surely there can be something that works, even if it requires a long layover or stopover in DXB
I would suspect that QF has rebooked the passenger onto QF2 to Sydney with an onward connection to Melbourne and that if the passenger wants to change the award booking to other carriers, that Qantas is requiring award availability

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 12, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

QF10 Re-timing

That's right but as we are travelling with an infant so the extra stop or a long layover would be painful. Especially when EK406 connects well. We are in business class also on top of being a Platinum which you would think would help our cause but no.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by andrstl
That's right but as we are travelling with an infant so the extra stop or a long layover would be painful. Especially when EK406 connects well. We are in business class also on top of being a Platinum which you would think would help our cause but no.
I don't think that you are going to convince QF to pay for 2 business class tickets on Emirates and also do not think that being in business helps the cause ( if anything the higher cost could make it worse )

I suspect that the best chance you would have would be to put a long transit in Dubai and continue on the QF10 the following morning if you really want to avoid a 2nd transit. You have more chance of getting QF to be flexible about getting the award seat on a QF flight than getting it moved to an EK flight with no business award availablility
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
You may have to keep an eye on EK availability and see if anything changes on EK406. Would EK 404 be a better option for you if it's available? It would still involve two stops but the upside you do not have to collect and recheck luggage and get onto a bus to cross to the domestic terminal like at SYD, and SIN has good facilities for moving infants around. Not sure if breaking the journey half way (ie 2x7 hrs) is better or worse than the long flight.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:07 pm

There is no business award availability that I can see from EF on any of the flights DXB-MEL in December
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

QF10 Re-timing

The week of 4 Jan is the return leg and it's only 1 award seat. The other is paid and not a problem to switch to the EK flight.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:30 pm

Between 4th and 11th , there is economy award availability on EK404 (1 stop via SIN) on all days other than the 6th, but no business award availability

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 12, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that it would be classed as comparable transport conditions.

Even so , I do not think that EU261 will apply in this situation. There is no change to the passenger's flight departing from Glasgow; the impacted flight is from DXB-MEL which is not covered by EU261.
It may be "comparable transport conditions", but it's not "at the earliest opportunity".

IANAE, but isn't it possible that a through ticket means that 261/2004 will be applied to the entire journey?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It may be "comparable transport conditions", but it's not "at the earliest opportunity".

IANAE, but isn't it possible that a through ticket means that 261/2004 will be applied to the entire journey?
The delay/cancellation has to be to a flight departing a member state

Originally Posted by eu261
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;

(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.
I do not see how a flight on an Australian carrier , departing a Middle East airport would be covered

Even so, it would be at earliest opportunity. EK26 arrives in at DXB at 08:10 and QF2 departs at 09:55 .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.