Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye to First SYD-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Nice speculation but I have this on authority.
Seems strange. Even if you only sell 1/2 real tickets, and the rest to points upgraders from J or comps, I would have thought that would easily cover the increased cost of J-F catering (the difference isn't that substantial)
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIN gets Zone A sold as F. HKG gets Zone A F sold as J.
So if I'm buying a revenue F through-ticket from London with a stop at HKG, I won't be necessarily booked into the F cabin on the HKG-SYD leg?

That's a bit annoying.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This makes sense. CX can't make F work even with connections to Europe. I don't ever recall QF F being full when it terminated in HKG (as opposed to continuing to London), and CX F was only full once (with eight seats, and it was end of student exams). I suppose they can make more out of selling the extra seats in J.
They can still oversell J by eight seats (less the number of F seats actually sold) and roll forward if necessary ... I suppose it is a question of priority.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Calchas
So if I'm buying a revenue F through-ticket from London with a stop at HKG, I won't be necessarily booked into the F cabin on the HKG-SYD leg?

That's a bit annoying.

They can still oversell J by eight seats (less the number of F seats actually sold) and roll forward if necessary ... I suppose it is a question of priority.
How would you buy a F ticket from LHR to SYD that transits in HKG? I don’t think QF sells this, and if you buy it on BA, it will transit to a CX flight and the fare will reflect that your second leg is in J.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
How would you buy a F ticket from LHR to SYD that transits in HKG? I don’t think QF sells this, and if you buy it on BA, it will transit to a CX flight
There's half a hundred fares that allow this. All of BA's Europe-Australia fares permit routing via HKG, including onto QF metal.

Code:
PUBLISHED RTG LON-SYD/BA4   /TAR-EURG    EF-01SEP17 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. LON-HKG-BA/CX/QF-SYD
 2. LON-KUL-BA/MH-SYD
 3. LON-SIN-BA/QF-SYD
On top of that you've got the various oneworld A- products.

Originally Posted by sxc
and the fare will reflect that your second leg is in J.
It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life, just a minor irritation.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:23 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Calchas
They could - but to a certain extent QF protects their premium cabins. No free upgrades to elites. I appreciate you're talking about overbooking the J cabin, but if they did that then essentially they'd be giving away free upgrades (if needed) to top tiers. Once that got out people would stop buying F fares (not that they're buying them much anyways).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:23 pm

I'm booked in J on a QF A380 SYD-HKG in December. I'm OWE. Anyway for me to get seats in the F cabin? Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm booked in J on a QF A380 SYD-HKG in December. I'm OWE. Anyway for me to get seats in the F cabin? Thanks!
Those seats are assigned to QF elites first (top tiers) and will likely fill up. Keep checking the seat map though, especially at T-80 when online seating opens, and again at intervals (for example 48 and 24 hours). Otherwise you'll need to ask at the airport.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
In addition to top tier QF FFers, I'd be sure that those eligible for staff travel benefits will be happy about F as well ...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Those seats are assigned to QF elites first (top tiers) and will likely fill up. Keep checking the seat map though, especially at T-80 when online seating opens, and again at intervals (for example 48 and 24 hours). Otherwise you'll need to ask at the airport.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot at T-80.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:23 pm

bit of a shame really - always love a good qf F.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG, VA, AA
I'm booked on an A380 HKG-SYD flight in Jan 2018 and have now just been able to select FC seats, previously this section was showing as unavailable up to the end of last week and I had only the normal business class section to select from. Rows 1-3 in the first section are blocked however and from EF I can see these are free, I'm assuming Qantas are reserving these rows for WP1/CL.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by darloflyer
I'm booked on an A380 HKG-SYD flight in Jan 2018 and have now just been able to select FC seats, previously this section was showing as unavailable up to the end of last week and I had only the normal business class section to select from. Rows 1-3 in the first section are blocked however and from EF I can see these are free, I'm assuming Qantas are reserving these rows for WP1/CL.
interesting. I am still unable to select first seats for my late Dec flights
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:21 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I believe OWEs can't benefit from this(but not 100% sure) as Altea blocks these except for WP1. WPs can get these seats on request. Wait until Monday then call and ask for a seat in Zone A to be unblocked.

It is the only instance where WP and OWE have different access by design.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct - the first rows are generally blocked for top tier status. Row 4 or 5 will be fine. interesting you can select seats there at all - they're usually totally blocked for QF top tiers. So maybe this is a welcome change.

I believe OWEs can't benefit from this(but not 100% sure) as Altea blocks these except for WP1. WPs can get these seats on request. Wait until Monday then call and ask for a seat in Zone A to be unblocked.

It is the only instance where WP and OWE have different access by design.
The OP is already able to secure F seats. No need to call to move further towards the front?
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:49 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

The OP is already able to secure F seats. No need to call to move further towards the front?
Yes, I misread.

The info about OWE though was in answer to a previous questions. I don't think they can access Zone A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.