Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

MEL Domestic to International - how long?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Arriving into MEL on QF domestic business at 8:10am (Mon 6th Jan)
I then have an international flight on QF in business to SIN at 10:20am.

I assume, as with SYD, I have to collect my luggage and re-check it?

Either way, how long should I expect the connection to take as I want to get to a lounge ASAP (especially after Qantas made the SIN flight over an hour earlier)
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by xenole
I assume, as with SYD, I have to collect my luggage and re-check it?
AFAIK in both SYD and MEL you should be able to through-check your bags if the connection is domestic --> international.

It's different if you're doing it other way, ie international --> domestic. That's when you have to collect the bags, clear customs and then re-check them.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is the Dom-Int transfer airside?
Would be nice not to have to reclear security.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
It's about a 3 min walk from the QF domestic exit (upstairs, left hand side of the security area) to the door into the International terminal.

No air side transfers, you have to clear security before immigration. Then about another 5 min walk through the shopping plaza to the Lounges.

Priority security is to the left, priority immigration to the right (go figure!). No need to collect/recheck bags.

Enjoy the lounge!

Regards,

BD
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by BD1959

No air side transfers, you have to clear security before immigration. Then about another 5 min walk through the shopping plaza to the Lounges.
These times are quite academic so long as there is no queue at Immigration and you don't need to visit the nice people at GST refund. I had the pleasure of about 20 min wait in line at immigration last year ( with my Express Card in the Express line ) and then 45 min in the GST line. This was mid morning. YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by og
These times are quite academic so long as there is no queue at Immigration and you don't need to visit the nice people at GST refund.
No, those times are quite typical. Timings for security, immigration were deliberately omitted because of their variance, as we're those for GST refunds, Duty Free Shopping and visiting the kangaroo in the pharmacy.

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.