Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 hour test flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
19 hour test flight

Qantas is going to fly crew and 40 test subjects to evaluate the health of passengers on a (nearly unprecedented?) 19 hour nonstop flight from London to Sydney.
​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/22/qantas-tests-direct-flights-from-uk-and-us-sydney-australia

Would you do it? I'd be their test subject for a round trip F/J seat to Australia. I've been thorough sleep studies and paid $2000 for the privilege. So taking a $6000 flight (based on LAX-SYD fares I shopped a few years ago) sounds worth it to me!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The 40 test subjects won’t even know there is a luxury 9 across cabin down the back. Likely they won’t even see the PE section. Hardly a test. Its just QF spin and they will lap up the free publicity. And QF have yet to confirm whether or not they will actually do the non stops from JFK and LHR to SYD (or MEL) let alone which airframe will be chosen if they do say “yes”.
mhy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a true test all 40 of them should be in the very last rows of economy shoulder to shoulder
dddc, lokijuh, In2ishn and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For a true test all 40 of them should be in the very last rows of economy shoulder to shoulder
and only allowed to use one toilet.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
My sources tell me the test subjects are all going to be qantas employees anyway

i’d actually be up for it, even in economy. So if anyone’s seen a link soliciting volunteers please post it here!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
And only allowed to use one toilet.
And only 1 FA who shall spend most of the flight chatting/making a noise in the crew area just behind the 40 punters.

Originally Posted by nancypants
My sources tell me the test subjects are all going to be Qantas employees anyway

I’d actually be up for it, even in economy. So if anyone’s seen a link soliciting volunteers please post it here!
It was in the paper and/online that it be QF employees.
So maybe for that flight/date less QF staffers clogging up business class seats for freebie rides to/from USA.

What has not been stated if this is wheels/wheels down time or gate to gate time (Could be another ~30 minutes)
nancypants and BA1 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF
Would be great to be a Guinea Pig for this...shame it's all Qantas employees...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: QF WP
I’m assuming they can’t sell tickets (cash or points) or similar because then it would become either RPT or a charter and need permissions, whereas using their own staff it’s classifiable as private ops?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by og

and only allowed to use one toilet.
And that toilet should be as "spacious" as the envelopes which Qantas now pass off as the latrine in a 737.
ps107 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:56 am

Why should they fly for 19 hours, when it takes maximum 12-13 hours to get to another part of the world
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by kirsteen
Why should they fly for 19 hours, when it takes maximum 12-13 hours to get to another part of the world
Some cities are more than 12-13 hours apart.

LON-BKK and LON-SIN are both 12 hours and are a stopping point on the way to SYD
Mauibaby2008 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I really don't understand the hype.

With SQ Flying EWR-SIN daily I don't think that taking the jump to JFK-SYD or LHR-SYD is going to be that huge.

I have only done SIN-EWR once back in January in PE. It was fine, and that much different then doing NYC-HKG/PVG/PEK/etc that I've done a dozen times from Y to F.

I don't think that adding the extra 500 miles versus EWR-SIN is going to suddenly change everything.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
You forgot a crying baby noises and personal lights being turned on occurring random intervals. You know, just like the psychological warfare hospitality Noriega received.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I really don't understand the hype.
There is noting special ( the journey has been done before ) nor unprecedented about a long flight

What is working is its advertising of an aeroplane doing something not uncommon for aeroplanes

If it was a proper commercial service between Sydney and London, it might have some note

But just look at the thread's existence to show the Qantsa advertising success
moa999, CPMaverick and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I don't think that adding the extra 500 miles versus EWR-SIN is going to suddenly change everything.
Presumably Qantas are planning to fly planes with Economy, something Singapore do not do on EWR-SIN.

SYD-LHR is also over 1000 miles further than EWR-SIN, not 500. (Based on great circle distances)
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.