FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   What is the Best Credit Card in Australia for > 0.5 points per $? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1207528-what-best-credit-card-australia-0-5-points-per.html)

serfty Apr 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 16264241)
... Travel insurance for the cardholder and family and the supplementary card holders and families alone is worth the $900 a year alone ....

I would not say that; I can get an Annual policy for "Quality" Travel Insurance for familay at around $340 pa.

But there's more than the travel insurance (which is very good by all accounts)

Also:
  • Complimentry Priority Pass "Prestige" membership (Unlimited PP lounge access worldwide, Guests @USD27)
  • HHonors Gold VIP upgrade
  • Priority Club Gold upgrade (for ICH hotels)
  • SPG Gold upgrade

More here: Explore an extensive range of Platinum privileges

Here's the correct link for Aussies ...

Ameican Express - the advantage of Platinum

perthite Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 16265754)
I would not say that; I can get an Annual policy for "Quality" Travel Insurance for familay at around $340 pa.

Also:
  • Complimentry Priority Pass "Prestige" membership (Unlimited PP lounge access worldwide, Guests @USD27)
  • SPG Gold upgrade

As far as I am aware, the Australian Platinum card does not give an HHonors Gold upgrade.

serfty Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by perthite (Post 16269320)
As far as I am aware, the Australian Platinum card does not give an HHonors Gold upgrade.

You are correct - it appears the above link is the UK version.:o

Here's the correct link for Aussies ...

Ameican Express - the advantage of Platinum

So it really does not provide a Hotel VIP status with any real tangible benefits other than SPG late check-out.

VLJ May 3, 2011 2:00 am

Thanks for recommending the card - have now received mine - ooops too late they are now offering 16,000 FF points!!!

foreigner May 3, 2011 4:52 am

I'm in same situation as OP. A reluctant user of SQ visa with 0.5 earn rate per $ spent, where SQ Amex is not accepted.

woolworths card appears alright but the business expense is the issue. the t&c says:
1. Earning of Qantas Frequent Flyer points from credit card transactions is subject to the Woolworths Everyday Rewards Qantas credit card Conditions of Use. No points are earnt on business expenses, interest free promotions, balance transfers and cash advances.

Any other uncapped visa or mastercard recommended?

ozzie May 3, 2011 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by foreigner (Post 16319539)
I'm in same situation as OP. A reluctant user of SQ visa with 0.5 earn rate per $ spent, where SQ Amex is not accepted.

woolworths card appears alright but the business expense is the issue. the t&c says:
1. Earning of Qantas Frequent Flyer points from credit card transactions is subject to the Woolworths Everyday Rewards Qantas credit card Conditions of Use. No points are earnt on business expenses, interest free promotions, balance transfers and cash advances.

Any other uncapped visa or mastercard recommended?

Citibank platinum / black.

ozzie May 3, 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 16265754)

Also:
  • SPG Gold upgrade

More here: Explore an extensive range of Platinum privileges
[/url]

The benefit I use the most is free valet parking at Westfield. This saves me $15-$30 a week over the year. Fortunately for me, the Hilton system thinks I still have a UK card so still get sent a gold card each year (and last year, a diamond card for no particular reason !).

foreigner May 3, 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 16323206)
The benefit I use the most is free valet parking at Westfield. This saves me $15-$30 a week over the year. Fortunately for me, the Hilton system thinks I still have a UK card so still get sent a gold card each year (and last year, a diamond card for no particular reason !).

I read about the Westfield benefit. Does that require booking ahead or do you just drive in and stop at the valet parking station?

ozzie May 3, 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by foreigner (Post 16323422)
I read about the Westfield benefit. Does that require booking ahead or do you just drive in and stop at the valet parking station?

When the benefit was originally introduced, you had to book. They changed this late last year so that you just show your card on the way out. The benefit doesn't apply end of November until mid-January (i.e. before Christmas and for the sale times).

foreigner May 3, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 16323488)
When the benefit was originally introduced, you had to book. They changed this late last year so that you just show your card on the way out. The benefit doesn't apply end of November until mid-January (i.e. before Christmas and for the sale times).

Westfiled Bondi Jctn will have new and regular visitor! :cool:

DeKa May 5, 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 16264241)
Completely OT but I think the Amex Platinum card is one if the best value cards there is if you use the benefits. Travel insurance for the cardholder and family and the supplementary card holders and families alone is worth the $900 a year alone ....

Not really .. I pay $318 for complete travel insurance for my wife and I with Travel Insurance Direct.

DeKa May 5, 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by foreigner (Post 16319539)
woolworths card appears alright but the business expense is the issue.

How would they know? I haven't done it as I have a corp AMEX for business expenses, but how can they tell if a transaction is business or not? Most expenses could be either (eg hotels, telco, airfares, taxis).

foreigner May 7, 2011 1:36 am

Originally Posted by DeKa (Post 16337081)
How would they know? I haven't done it as I have a corp AMEX for business expenses, but how can they tell if a transaction is business or not? Most expenses could be either (eg hotels, telco, airfares, taxis).

I wonder if large amount in charges would flag them to look deeper. If not for this concern, this card seems good value.