FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   What is the Best Credit Card in Australia for > 0.5 points per $? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1207528-what-best-credit-card-australia-0-5-points-per.html)

Gotta Requalify Apr 20, 2011 7:59 am

What is the Best Credit Card in Australia for > 0.5 points per $?

I am looking for a credit card in Australia that will let me earn more than half a point per dollar. Not an Amex card, but a Visa or Mastercard that will allow me to earn 1 point per dollar spent.

I already have an Amex card that will earn 1.5 points that can be transferred to Qantas or Singapore Airlines (or others), but for all the places that don't use Amex cards I want to earn more than 0.5 points per dollar spent.

Every bank or other card that I have looked into generally has two cards and the Visa and Mastercard only earns 0.5.

I don't care if the points are for Qantas or another airline like Singapore Airlines, I just want to make my spending work for me. But not Velocity, as I have never flown Virgin Blue, and don't plan to for some time to come.

The Westpac Krisflyer credit card was good earning 1 point per dollar, but dropped to half a point per dollar, recently.

Even the new Commbank Diamond card only earns 0.625 Qantas points per dollar on the Mastercard.

So does such a card exist in Australia?

drewbles Apr 20, 2011 8:58 am

WOW card. Woolworths Everyday Rewards Qantas Frequent Flyer Card:

https://www.everydayrewards.com.au/e...card/aboutcard

1 point per dollar spent on personal expenditure.

Also have a quick look on here. Many mentions on here as well as over on AFF.

ozzie Apr 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Yep I use the Woolworths card. 12500 bonus points too ... You other option is a Citi platinum but it costs about $350 a year. The Woolworths card is only $89.

vecta Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Another plus regarding the WOW MC is the fact you can have several additional card holders at no additional cost.

I was quite surprised last month when calling them up after they sent out the additional card holders pack I was told there was no cost for my wife to have an additional card, and I could actually have more than one additional card holder! (My last ANZ CC charged an extra yearly fee for each additional card holder).

Great card!

wheresmybagba Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 16253498)
Yep I use the Woolworths card. 12500 bonus points too ... You other option is a Citi platinum but it costs about $350 a year. The Woolworths card is only $89.

I picked this up on AFF...a promo code for the Citibank Platinum with half price annual fee (first year) of $125 (+ $49 Qantas rewards fee).

http://www.citibank.com.au/cardsoffe...M_PDW3B2CA.htm

Comes with 60k points bonus which can be converted to 60k QFF if you are careful (instructions on AFF).

It's a Visa with 1:1 earn.

Worth it for a year at least with 60k points bonus!

DownUnderFlyer Apr 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba (Post 16254718)
I picked this up on AFF...a promo code for the Citibank Platinum with half price annual fee (first year) of $125 (+ $49 Qantas rewards fee).

http://www.citibank.com.au/cardsoffe...M_PDW3B2CA.htm

Comes with 60k points bonus which can be converted to 60k QFF if you are careful (instructions on AFF).

It's a Visa with 1:1 earn.

Worth it for a year at least with 60k points bonus!

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the AFF discussion?

wheresmybagba Apr 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 16254829)
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to the AFF discussion?

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...0-k-28541.html

Lots of discussion on whether or not the 60k points can be transferred to QF...and towards the end detailed instructions on ensuring that there are no issues with that.

DownUnderFlyer Apr 21, 2011 4:07 am

Thanks! Looks like a good offer and a decent card actually. The OP is already paying at least $900 per year for his Amex so the card fee here seems almost reasonable. ;)

VLJ Apr 21, 2011 6:01 am

Sounds like a good card however I went to the site and it read...
"It's so easy to earn points
* Earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per $1 spent over $30* at Woolworths Supermarkets and BWS (excluding Tasmania) and BIG W.
* Earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per $1 over $50* at participating Dick Smith stores."

So is it 1 point for every $1 spent - or only on the Woolworths, BWS and Big W and Dick Smith? You also have to 'spend over' amounts to start getting the points

Therefore is there a card that gives you 1 point for $1 no limit on the market? ANZ Visa only gives us .5 point for $1 spent

??

perthite Apr 21, 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 16255836)
Therefore is there a card that gives you 1 point for $1 no limit on the market? ANZ Visa only gives us .5 point for $1 spent

??

Yes, the Woolworths card, notwithstanding the slightly confusing website: https://www.everydayrewards.com.au/e...card/aboutcard

It get 1 point per dollar (for purchases anywhere),

and

if you spend at the Woolworths stores you get the additional amounts depending on your spend (through the EDR program)

VLJ Apr 21, 2011 6:37 am

Aha I kept reading it but it doesn't seem clear. It's as though they are saying only if you spend at those outlets.
So are they saying the BONUS points are applied if you spend over that amount and that the 1 point for $1 is applied to ALL purchases.
I would like to see that clearly stated.
Also it mentions not available on business transactions - so how do they know if it is a business transaction? Or are they doing that to deter some ...
Why can't someone use a card to pay the ATO online and then repay the card via the business - or is that an issue?
If someone wants to purchase office products for instance and use their credit card and be reimbursed who are they to state 'not for business'
I am keen to ditch my Visa which started out at 1.5 points so many years ago and has dwindled to this point - but every time I get another card offer I get confused.

serfty Apr 21, 2011 9:00 pm

I have one of these card so I'll respond:

Originally Posted by VLJ (Post 16255961)
Aha I kept reading it but it doesn't seem clear. It's as though they are saying only if you spend at those outlets.
So are they saying the BONUS points are applied if you spend over that amount and that the 1 point for $1 is applied to ALL purchases.
I would like to see that clearly stated. ...

Some "real life" illustrations:
  • Spend $100 at Woolworths with this card and scan the EDR barcode on the back at the time of Purchase and the earning will be 100 for the AUD spend and 70 for the bonus amount spent over $30 through EDRą.
  • Spend $100 at Coles with this card and the earning will be 100 for the AUD spend.
  • Spend $100 at Woolworths and pay with a 1.5 pp$ earning Amex (say), scan the EDRą barcode on the back of the Mastercard at the time of Purchase and the earning will be 150 for the AUD spend on the Amex and 70 for the bonus amount spent over $30 through EDRą.
  • Also, with EDRą, the over $30 spend can result on either a 4˘ per litre discount or a 2 QFF points per litre earn on a subsequent fuel purchase.

Also it mentions not available on business transactions - so how do they know if it is a business transaction? Or are they doing that to deter some ...
Why can't someone use a card to pay the ATO online and then repay the card via the business - or is that an issue?...

I have used mine to pay ATO remittances and earn QFF points with no issue.

...If someone wants to purchase office products for instance and use their credit card and be reimbursed who are they to state 'not for business'
I am keen to ditch my Visa which started out at 1.5 points so many years ago and has dwindled to this point - but every time I get another card offer I get confused.

I have no issues with puchases on this card for business costs.

Note that I do generally use a 1˝ Points per $1 spent Amex where AX is accepted and only use the EDRą Mastercard where Amex is not accepted.

VLJ Apr 22, 2011 7:42 am

Thank you Serfty you have been most helpful - I hope to apply now, there is a deadline I think for the 12,500 points so not sure if I will qualify

wyvern Apr 22, 2011 3:08 pm

The HSBC Premier Qantas Rewards Mastercard is new. It is only available to HSBC Premier customers, it gives 1 point per $ with no cap, comes with a $99 annual fee and currently offers a 10K points signup bonus.

ozzie Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 16255539)
Thanks! Looks like a good offer and a decent card actually. The OP is already paying at least $900 per year for his Amex so the card fee here seems almost reasonable. ;)

Completely OT but I think the Amex Platinum card is one if the best value cards there is if you use the benefits. Travel insurance for the cardholder and family and the supplementary card holders and families alone is worth the $900 a year alone ....