Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yes that is correct.

You enter the club complex and take the elevator to the appropriate floor, once there you are greeted by a general lounge agent who checks your BP and directs you to the QF designated lounge.

He also explains there are communal showers (as in shared between all the lounges) and a communal smoking room.

Once you enter the QF lounge proper there are two or three staffers dedicated to QF. They check your boarding pass again (and presumably assists with any issues such as issuing a new BP etc).
Elevator to 5th floor
as you come off the elevator, there is a person who looks at your BP's.

He directs you to the club room number (QF = 4 IIRC)

In the QF room, there is a staffer who checked my BP, although since I was ticketed (Ie... rec'd BP's all the way thru in the seats I wanted) I didn't have a conversation

there is food (tonight was pulled pork and some sort of shredded chicken) that is hot, cold (pasta) and some misc stuff. I was stuffed from my first flight so I didn't eat. Although I did grab a can of soda which was nice. I like that better than the fountain drinks. Also bottles of beer there and 4 types of wine. The initial room you walk in was crowded. however if you go to the left (either at the check in desk) or if you head to the back wall, then there are more rooms. As stated by others, there you walk into the BA lounge. they (IMHO) have better snacks but the same choice of beverages. There is a small, lets refresh that, tiny kids lounge with a few bean bags and a tv that had spongebob on when my kids went in.

I didn't see (nor did I recall to look) for the communal showers

there is free wifi and the code tonight was London10. the code is cool b/c you can hook up multiple wifi systems. I had two kids with their own systems plus my laptop which meant we all could get on unlike the AC

Its ok if you can't get into the AC but we were there 15 minutes total.

In the end we went to the AC as it has a better kids lounge and more space. Being on Int'l J, I got all the wifi passes I needed and of course 3 premium drinks that were all mine since I can't use them on the kids
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
It does surprise me that jkm024 could ot get BP's for QF008 when checking in at DCA; flying on AA from DFW and connecting to QF at LAX I have not had this issue. Maybe it was an agent thing.

As posted, there should be no problem with having your bags checked all the way from IAD - you should not see them again until you arrive in Australia.

jkm024 mentions getting the BP's at the gate but two hours before and 'lost their seats'.
Just a follow up for anyone else out of IAD

No problem whatsoever

I checked in at 10:00 a.m. and they spit out the QF BP's with my seats in Zone A no problem. I went home and then came back and so far so good. The QF service desk who processed me at the QF lounge at DFW processed each of our tickets for entry and did not change our seats so I assume all is well. I will post if not LOL

I was told at IAD that if the BP's did not come out, there was nothing they could do as it was system generated. I had told the GA about problems others had had out of WAS. She said, it was all up to the system and whether it was going to process it or not. If it didn't come out, I would have had to go thru the DFW check in as stated already

I guess I was lucky (or at least so far)

See you all in SYD shortly
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thanks for the reports ^ ... I'll be there this weekend; interesting advice about heading left.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:40 pm

Sitting here at the BNE QF club on the layover to SYD

A very nice smooth enjoyable ride DFW-SYD in zone A; great FA I must say

No issues whatsoever at any point

At least to this point, Maybe going into this I was a bit skeptical and negative but right I'm more than pleased at the flight and think it was worth every mile spent ^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for the helpful updates.

I'm flying QF7/8 in October. I used my Qantas locator to assign Zone A seats, which is reflected when i view the reservation on the QF website. But I booked through AA and my AA reservation still shows "regular" J seats.

Does anyone know whether my Zone A assignment will stick, or whether the AA assignment will get me booted out of Zone A? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
DFW to get the 787

It may have been reported earlier, but this article in the SMH has a remark from AJ that the 787 is likely to replace the 744 on the DFW run.
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...726-1hy5n.html
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Sorry for the *really fundamental* question ...

I'm thinking INT/INT connx at DFW don't allow through-checked baggage.

If I'm connecting off the BA flight which arrives at 15:25 and check-in opens 18:00/18:30 ... must I collect my bags and sit around the terminal for a few hours waiting for check-in to open or is there a bag-drop for outgoing International flights? (Presuming I get my BP issued at LHR).

BD
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume it's like any INT-INT connection at LAX (or any USA airport).

You must clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs and resubmit bags - I'm sure there'll ba a bag drop.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:31 am

I would assume it's like any INT-INT connection at LAX (or any USA airport).

You must clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs and resubmit bags - I'm sure there'll ba a bag drop.
There are two bag drop belts (immediately next to each other) just past customs at DFW (turn left after customs), the first is for airlines other than AA, and the second is for AA - there are a group of guys working at the bag drop location who check the tags and advise which belt.

I would have thought that so long as BA check your luggage through you will be able to drop off your bags on one of the two belts.

The other very important thing you need to get BA to give you at check in is a boarding pass for QF8 when you check in, because you need to pass through the TSA security check to get to a lounge etc.

Matt
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by AN-Diamond
There are two bag drop belts (immediately next to each other) just past customs at DFW (turn left after customs), the first is for airlines other than AA, and the second is for AA - there are a group of guys working at the bag drop location who check the tags and advise which belt.

I would have thought that so long as BA check your luggage through you will be able to drop off your bags on one of the two belts.

The other very important thing you need to get BA to give you at check in is a boarding pass for QF8 when you check in, because you need to pass through the TSA security check to get to a lounge etc.

Matt
Thanks Serfty and (especially) Matt for the detail. I guess this is standard US practice which is why there's no detail on the DFW website.

BD
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mh11
Thanks to everyone for the helpful updates.

I'm flying QF7/8 in October. I used my Qantas locator to assign Zone A seats, which is reflected when i view the reservation on the QF website. But I booked through AA and my AA reservation still shows "regular" J seats.

Does anyone know whether my Zone A assignment will stick, or whether the AA assignment will get me booted out of Zone A? Thanks in advance.
QF website should stick

I was in zone A from the start but moved my seats around quite a bit

I would go to the QF site to move my seats, however the QF seats on AA.com never changed. When I took the flight, it was the seats that I had requested (or changed too after the initial AA reservation) that stuck

you should be fine

edit.. on that note you should keep checking back (on QF) to see that you don't get bumped out of them
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I posted this on another thread: (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16823694)
Arrived into DFW this afternoon on QF7:
  • Arrived at 2:20pm
  • Was at Non US Citizens Queue 2:27pm.
  • Exited to baggage hall at 3:20pm
  • Exited to Baggage Transfer 3:40pm.
The citizens queue was larger but seemed to move faster.

My Flight was 30 minutes late and AAgents were moving through the queue doing a kind of "Triage"; those looking like missing their connection (within ~45 minutes) were taken strait to the front; others with time not so pressing were given yellow AA transit folders for express customs but left in immigration.

I was envious of those with Global Entry as they would have been through the lot in less than ten minutes.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
DFW know and understand what an APEC card is, this lets you use the crew/ diplomat line. I was off the plane and through immigration and customs in 10 minutes and over in Terminal A in 30 minutes from landing, with a brief (and pointless stop at the transfer information desk).

The APEC card is well worth the investment for those who are eligible, I am frequently out of SYD airport within 10 minutes of deplaning as well even in peak periods. Sadly WLG no longer funds the APEC line and prohibits APEC card holders from using the crew line, and along with MIA these are the only airports I have found (out of SIN, NRT, DPS, LAX, SFO, DFW, AKL, SYD, MEL, MIA, WLG) that dont understand/ care about the card. See http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
wow - serfty that was a long time.

The opposite for my arrival on the QF7 - the arrivals hall was empty and I managed to move fairly quickly past most of the pax in front of me and was about number 15 in the arrivals hall and was processed in about 10 minutes. Baggage was out quickly and I think it was a total of about 20-25 minutes to get to the AA bag drop.

The triage was again in operation, but on my time it was agents picking out those for further questioning - a few student types mostly. The officers were asking them who was in their party - were they travelling with others etc etc. Don't know what happened to them...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew QF8 on Saturday night; impressive Takeoff roll I clocked at 45 seconds. The 15:50 flight is very long.

The lounge had similar catering to that described by TrojanHorse; I was told it was beef brisket (pulled/shredded) and similar with chicken. Along with this went a pasta salad. This food was OK.

Interestingly, I overheard the QF Station manager asking the cooks to get him a taste of the food, obviously there have been complaints.

Good beer selection, short wine choice. There was a shelf along the back of the bar/servery with a lot of empty liquor bottles. This was to show waht was available. If you wanted any of that you had to go to reception and make a request.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.