Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to earn Qantas points in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

How to earn Qantas points in the US?

I'm just a few points shy of my desired award level. I've pored over the website to see if there are any possibilities of earning a handful of points in the US other than flying on a partner airline. Most of the non-flying options (shopping, credit cards) are for Australian residents, and I'm not certain a car rental in the US would qualify. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by FlyerX
I'm just a few points shy of my desired award level. I've pored over the website to see if there are any possibilities of earning a handful of points in the US other than flying on a partner airline. Most of the non-flying options (shopping, credit cards) are for Australian residents, and I'm not certain a car rental in the US would qualify. Any suggestions?
Definitely car rental.
I believe non-Australian rentals get a better earn rate. 700 QFFP per rental
http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/car
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Or hotels - 1000 points per stay outside australia.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...el/outsideAust
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I can confirm that car rental earns 700 pts for even a cheap $10 weekend rental and posts promptly. QFF is one of the more lucrative plans for that.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

You guys are amazing. We tried earning points within Australia and was rejected, so I didn't have much faith. Glad to know people have done it in the US without problem. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
12 months ago I would have said to you:

"Get an SPG Amex and transfer the starwood points to QF"

But the ability to transfer points to QF was removed about a year ago. So I won't say it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozzie
12 months ago I would have said to you:

"Get an SPG Amex and transfer the starwood points to QF"

But the ability to transfer points to QF was removed about a year ago. So I won't say it.
Very sad especially when Amex has just launched a card here in the UK.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

The following is from the Qantas site http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms under 9.2.2:

Note: With effect from 1 July 2010:
* If a Member does not earn or redeem any Points after 30 June 2010, the Points earned before 1 July 2010 will not expire until three years after the date of the last activity on that Member's account.
* If a Member does earn or redeem any Points after 30 June 2010, the Member's Points will expire three years from the date of the Member's last activity before 1 July 2010 or 18 months from the last date the Member earned or redeemed Points after 30 June 2010, whichever is the later.
So... if I last had activity in August 2009 and no points earned or redeemed since then, my expiration is August 2012, and not February 2011? But, if I had last had activity in August 2010, my expiration date would be February 2012, assuming I had not had any other activity between June 2010 and August 2010.

I know this is what the T&C pretty much directly states, but sometimes with these things, I have trouble understanding even the most straightforward statements. Does it state anywhere in my account details what my expiration date is?

I also can't find anything that says whether buying top up points counts as an activity and nothing about that is mentioned under section 19 in the link above. How long until the points are redeemable, and if they do not qualify as an activity, would it be advisable to wait to purchase them?

Last edited by FlyerX; Nov 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No, you get the longer for the 3 months for pre-june2010 activity or 18 months for post-june2010 activity. So it stays at Aug 2012 with the 3-year rule, and only increases (with activity after 18 months before that date extending it). Normal transition in rules giving you the best of both for a while.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:04 am

I have earned Qantas FF miles here in the US for stays, using the following loyalty programs -www.marriottrewards.com,www.priorityclub.com & Choice Privileges. I joined these loyalty programs, selecting Qantas FF as my earning choice. They cover a wide range of hotels, and you should be able to find an economy choice relatively close to your home.

As always, just remember not to book your stay at travelocity/expedia/hotels.com etc, but book the stay direct through the hotel chain/website. This may be obvious, but, it's a lesson I learnt the hard way.

Ozzie posted the link in which you should be able to earn Qantas FF miles direct from their partner hotels, but, I have had some difficulty getting my miles credited this way. Although, if does seen for a one night stay that that way does earn more miles. - even though the selection is more limited than the above loyalty programs.

I too found the new "expiration" rules confusing initially - and received conflicting dates when I phoned Qantas to ask.

Last edited by Auscal; Nov 27, 2010 at 12:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.