Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: MIA-IPC in Business $1,360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: MIA-IPC in Business $1,360

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: DL DM 5MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just booked last week of August with a 3 day stop over in Santiago

Just booked MIA-ATL-SCL-IPC -SCL-ATL-MIA for $1,836 in Z class. Put in a 3 day stop in SCL on the way down and a 22hour layover on the way back home, otherwise could have done the MIA-IPC-MIA for about $1350.

Had to contact Delta directly to book, the website didn't like the SCL stop over, even when calling I had to ask the agent to book the specific flights I found on Itasoftware as they kept wanting me to book SCL direct to MIA instead of through ATL.

Now let's see if the flights actually happen and hopefully Chile won't have a mandatory quarantine period.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:46 pm

Thank you! Just booked for my family - college graduation present. I appreciate all the information!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saxonjsb
Thank you! Just booked for my family - college graduation present. I appreciate all the information!
I am only seeing the low fare for one person...were you able to find availability for your whole family?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:30 am

I have a PPT-IPC Award ticket mid August (AA operated by LA). Today is the last day I can make changes to that ticket - try to move it out - as I'm doubtful about the flights/borders in August. However this Delta fare is such a good deal I'm tempted to scrap dealing with the AA miles/ticket - complicated by the partnership ending - and purchase directly from DL instead. A standalone makes more sense in today's climate anyway - factoring in whatever's happening with French Polynesia borders certainly simplifies the trip. Not thrilled with all the extra flying and airports (MIA to ATL to get the price) but it's still a crazy good phenomenal deal. Very hard night to bite on this.

Two questions though, does anyone know:

1) Delta's refunds policy on these tickets (ticket value for year - change fee, etc.)

2) Thoughts on Easter Island being open in August and September? Last night I noticed the hotel I had been planning to book for the August AA/LA Award ticket is now not accepting reservations until September 1. Is there general guidance on the island re-opening will not be at least until September 1 for visitors? (I am thrilled someone currently from Easter Island is posting on this thread! Wow! )
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:01 pm

Hello. I was able to book for my family of 5 directly with Delta. I hope you are able to make it work.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Was looking at this for August. Seeing on a LAN email from today that a 14-day mandatory quarantine is required for all pax BEFORE domestic connection..... so essentially this is refundable if that rule is still in place when you fly!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Was looking at this for August. Seeing on a LAN email from today that a 14-day mandatory quarantine is required for all pax BEFORE domestic connection..... so essentially this is refundable if that rule is still in place when you fly!
The mandatory quarantine is not a reason for free cancellation / refund.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:39 pm

Has Chile re-open it's borders to foreigners and incoming flights? Or was LATAM's email referring to repatriation flights of Chilean citizens and their quarantine requirements upon arrival back into the country?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: LATAM Black
Happy to help where I can, but we still don't know much locally or nationally as to when flights will start again...we've gone from 14 passenger flights per week to 1 cargo flight p/w!

The island is still C19-free in theory, and they are desperate to keep it that way until the worst of the wave has passed through Chile. I feel that August is still too early for reliable flights to the island, but maybe this all rights itself as quickly as it all went south.

I wouldn't read too much into indivual accommodations saying they're closed until Sep1...they'll all reopen as soon as the first flight is confirmed by LATAM as everyone will be desperate for income by then!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Just the SCL-IPC part is a good deal if bought on its own ticket, and you are already in SCL some other way. (300 economy/400 business)
Old May 1, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Pirohua
Happy to help where I can, but we still don't know much locally or nationally as to when flights will start again...we've gone from 14 passenger flights per week to 1 cargo flight p/w!

The island is still C19-free in theory, and they are desperate to keep it that way until the worst of the wave has passed through Chile. I feel that August is still too early for reliable flights to the island, but maybe this all rights itself as quickly as it all went south.

I wouldn't read too much into indivual accommodations saying they're closed until Sep1...they'll all reopen as soon as the first flight is confirmed by LATAM as everyone will be desperate for income by then!

Thanks Pirohua. I wondered if that might the case - that the hotels would resume when flights were available. I still have my PPT-IPC award ticket for August. No reason to cancel it yet, so will wait it out for now and see what happens.

Ultimately, I decided not to bite on the $1360 fare. The current crisis and number of connections, coupled with the deal going away 30 April.... for me, it was more risk than I wanted to assume on a non-refundable international fare. Too many could go wrong or change in the interim with a potential outcome being a doubling or tripling of the fare to keep the trip.

Although it was a fantastic deal for Business Class and I wish the best to everyone who got in under the wire and booked it. Come back to this thread and report back on success later. :-)
Old May 1, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by mlqsko
The mandatory quarantine is not a reason for free cancellation / refund.
If DL sells a ticket that includes a Chilean domestic segment that I'm not allowed to take, I think I'd have a good chance at a refund.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Fare has been extended. Book by May 15.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
If DL sells a ticket that includes a Chilean domestic segment that I'm not allowed to take, I think I'd have a good chance at a refund.
Good luck with that. Pax is wholly responsible for country entry requirements, not the airline. If borders are closed after you've purchased the ticket, I'd agree. But quarantine is not border closure.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Good luck with that. Pax is wholly responsible for country entry requirements, not the airline. If borders are closed after you've purchased the ticket, I'd agree. But quarantine is not border closure.
I think this shouldn't be covered under entry requirement. In this case he can enter Chile but he can't take a domestic flight. I would argue that if they sold a flight that you can't take. As it not like Delta doesn't know the quarantine requirement so it could easily fall on them for selling tickets they can't fulfill. Which would fall under false advertising rules aka I'm selling you something that I can't deliver and pretending that I can.
kyushuman and flymuc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.