FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   BA: LHR-> JNB for 2600 GBP in F roundtrip (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1951287-ba-lhr-jnb-2600-gbp-f-roundtrip.html)

Reload Jan 16, 2019 1:11 am

BA: LHR-> JNB for 2600 GBP in F roundtrip

Found on google flights, worth depends on how you rate BA F but is by far the cheapest I could find, uses the B787 so their newest hard product I believe.

Great availability for pretty much all year

Linky

Pilot37 Jan 16, 2019 4:47 am

Thanks for the post Reload.
For clarification, BA now operates up to 3 times a day to JNB from LHR with a B788, A380 and B744 serving the route depending on time of year (2 x A380's during SA Summer). Only the B744 and A380's have F, the B788 only has Business, Economy Plus and Economy.
While the fare maybe good for LHR-JNB direct, with a little planning fares from an ex-EU starting point routing AMS-LHR-JNB are available with BA from around £1,200 return and anybody with spare Avios or GUF's can look to upgrade to F on points which would be better value.

Pilot37

Reload Jan 16, 2019 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 30660898)
Thanks for the post Reload.
For clarification, BA now operates up to 3 times a day to JNB from LHR with a B788, A380 and B744 serving the route depending on time of year (2 x A380's during SA Summer). Only the B744 and A380's have F, the B788 only has Business, Economy Plus and Economy.
While the fare maybe good for LHR-JNB direct, with a little planning fares from an ex-EU starting point routing AMS-LHR-JNB are available with BA from around £1,200 return and anybody with spare Avios or GUF's can look to upgrade to F on points which would be better value.

Pilot37

Thanks for the heads up, I was only browsing direct flights this morning and this seemed cheap in comparison. Ironically I live about 2 hours drive from AMS so that would be my starting airport anyway. I don't have any Avios unfortunately but you're quite correct that often a stopover in the itinerary would result in a cheaper flight.

obduro Jan 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Reload (Post 30661003)
Thanks for the heads up, I was only browsing direct flights this morning and this seemed cheap in comparison. Ironically I live about 2 hours drive from AMS so that would be my starting airport anyway. I don't have any Avios unfortunately but you're quite correct that often a stopover in the itinerary would result in a cheaper flight.

In this case its more that LON is an expensive departure point in premium cabins due to the comparatively high levels of APD

VegasGambler Jan 17, 2019 12:46 am

BA F earns so many AS miles though...

mmxbreaks Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30665069)
BA F earns so many AS miles though...

SA is pretty good in general. Even for BAEC! I've got LHR-CPT in F this Spring and it nets around 43,000 Avios (as a Gold) and 480TP. If I'd been more experimental with an OTP departure or something then it'd be a pretty nifty TP run (especially as it cost £1750 directly out of London, including a car).

VegasGambler Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30666855)
SA is pretty good in general. Even for BAEC! I've got LHR-CPT in F this Spring and it nets around 43,000 Avios (as a Gold) and 480TP. If I'd been more experimental with an OTP departure or something then it'd be a pretty nifty TP run (especially as it cost £1750 directly out of London, including a car).

I don't know much about Avios, but on AS this trip would earn over 25k status miles (enough for MVP status in a single trip) and over 45k (+ status bonus -- more like 55k for me) redeemable miles.

Traveling SFO to JNB round trip, booking into A (which can be found for a little over $6k US) will earn over 50k elite miles (enough for Gold) and over 90k (110k if you are already gold) redeemable miles. That's more than enough for a round trip business class ticket from the US to anywhere in Asia on CX.