Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aa cz: Pek - lax $1298

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sokol2003

Yeah I tried to find it for 11000 cny but it was always around 4000 cny more to fly with Jal
PEK-LAX I saw it February 27 and March 3 and 4th yesterday for 8500CNY in J but this fare and days are quickly disappearing so don’t know what it is now.

Something strange happened with my booking yesterday. I routed and booked PEK-DFW-LAX-PEK as it was the best deal and more miles on my days. When I booked through the AA chinese website, the fare put me in full fare economy on the DFW-LAX portion, not first. I rebooked on the US site, and everything was in J and F (though it was an extra $100). Just a warning I’d thought I’d give to everyone make sure you check every segment is in J/F
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:17 am

Repositioning

I have never taken a MR where I had to reposition myself across an ocean (currently I’m living stateside on the west coast).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? What my thinking has been is to fly in a day early and fly back stateside a day later on HU mileage tickets I booked through AS. Is there another way to go about this? Such as catching another MR from PEK to get home if one can? The fees for the HU flights are $400 anyway.

This is relevant to this thread because it’s about this ticket, and what the most efficient way is to go about repositioning for this specific flight. Any info would be appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you want.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbAA
Sorry, but you do realize we are discussing American Airlines. Ranked #71 by SkyTrax, well below AirAsia and WN. Not SQ, QR or CX. Having lived in China for 5 years and dealing with AA for my flights to the US, they were nothing particularly special. Prices were good, especially when they were pushing the ex-YYZ fares. DL moved in and pushed the fares lower, especially premium cabin, with the Chinese carriers following suit. So, this seems to be a reasonable fare for the market.
I could give a rats a** about the corrupt Skytrax ratings. Most of the AA long haul flights I've taken in the last two years were miles (no pun intended) better than various Asian and European carriers especially the crappy Chinese ones.

AA used to be horrible but their new inflight product is respectable and crew has improved as well.
NWplatinum and atcanobbio like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Yes the Chinese approach has been more about keeping costs down. I wouldn't be looking to air China or anyone similar for a luxury. Cx is the clear exception in that market.

Similarly the south americans too. None of them have first class cabins for a reason - no demand/expectation.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:43 am

Hainan also is a big exception to the Chinese carriers. Excellent product all around, even in their 2x2x2 J. I love Hainan, and would take their J over some carriers F cabins (ehm BA).

Also @rbAA you do have the possibility to take JL or CX on this itinerary if you plug in the right dates. That being said, I too have been impressed with AA’s international product that has improved immensely over the past two years. Especially with the opening up of the Flagship Lounges everywhere.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I have never taken a MR where I had to reposition myself across an ocean (currently I’m living stateside on the west coast).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? What my thinking has been is to fly in a day early and fly back stateside a day later on HU mileage tickets I booked through AS. Is there another way to go about this? Such as catching another MR from PEK to get home if one can? The fees for the HU flights are $400 anyway.

This is relevant to this thread because it’s about this ticket, and what the most efficient way is to go about repositioning for this specific flight. Any info would be appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you want.
I typically book a US-xxx-US flight around the whole mileage run (assuming multiple runs are being done) using miles or paying cash and using SWUs to upgrade to J if possible. For PEK you can find cheap fares all year round from the US.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:25 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Also @rbAA you do have the possibility to take JL or CX on this itinerary if you plug in the right dates. That being said, I too have been impressed with AA’s international product that has improved immensely over the past two years. Especially with the opening up of the Flagship Lounges everywhere.
Well, it depends on what you like as always. I didn't (and since it's been over a month since I ticketed don't) have the JL/CX option. Just got off a AA DFW-HKG in J. Ho hum at best. And FL lounges, and especially their dried out flavorless food offerings, just seem more form over substance. Can't compare to QF FC LAX, CX HKG Wing or Pier (though the selection in the buffet areas of those seem to be reduced, however I had a very good lamb dish ftom the menu at the Wing on the way out.)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:29 am

Well, it depends on what you like as always. I didn't (and since it's been over a month since I ticketed don't) have the JL/CX option. Just got off a AA DFW-HKG in J. Ho hum at best. And FL lounges, and especially their dried out flavorless food offerings, just seem more form over substance. Can't compare to QF FC LAX, CX HKG Wing or Pier (though the selection in the buffet areas of those seem to be reduced, however I had a very good lamb dish ftom the menu at the Wing on the way out.)
I know we’re going slightly off topic, but I’ve been in the QF F lounge in LAX probably a dozen times, and been to the Flagship both in J and F probably half a dozen (and once to the F in JFK). The flagship lounge (at least at LAX) has some pretty decent food for J. The shower suites are also some of the biggest and nicest out there. I don’t know if you’ve tried it, but I would argue the food, atmosphere, and offerings in the first class section of the Flagship Lounge are better than the QF F lounge in LAX. The quality of the food in Flagship F lounge is better, It’s quieter, not as crowded, and you don’t have to constantly wave down staff to order drinks and food because it’s much less crowded.

But tk each their own...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 100K
it seems the fare has gone up by $200 or so.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
it seems the fare has gone up by $200 or so.
yes I paid $1500 for my PEK-DFW-LAX-PEK itinerary, but was able to get $250 cut off at Check our for signing up for the Citi card.

~1500 or less is still a good deal IMHO
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:38 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The flagship lounge (at least at LAX) has some pretty decent food for J. The shower suites are also some of the biggest and nicest out there. I don’t know if you’ve tried it, but I would argue the food, atmosphere, and offerings in the first class section of the Flagship Lounge are better than the QF F lounge in LAX. The quality of the food in Flagship F lounge is better, It’s quieter, not as crowded, and you don’t have to constantly wave down staff to order drinks and food because it’s much less crowded.

But tk each their own...
I've only used the showers at the JFK FL and they were OK. Definitely not the cabanas at the Wing in HKG. I tried getting into the FC section of the FL LAX lounge. I've didn't succeed as I only had an UPG'd coach ticket. I'm sure I've been thrown out of better places before, so I'll stick to the QF FC lounge. It's usually pretty quiet there before the 1AM AA LAX-HKG flight and never had to chase anyone down, so maybe there were service lapses the times you went. Enjoy.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:19 am

I've only used the showers at the JFK FL and they were OK. Definitely not the cabanas at the Wing in HKG. I tried getting into the FC section of the FL LAX lounge. I've didn't succeed as I only had an UPG'd coach ticket. I'm sure I've been thrown out of better places before, so I'll stick to the QF FC lounge. It's usually pretty quiet there before the 1AM AA LAX-HKG flight and never had to chase anyone down, so maybe there were service lapses the times you went. Enjoy.
When you get a chance to try the FL F section get back to me. You’ll be surprised... I was a big fan of the QF F lounge l, but now in LAX I go to the AA one which I think is much better and you get much better attention because of its exclusivity.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

When you get a chance to try the FL F section get back to me. You’ll be surprised... I was a big fan of the QF F lounge l, but now in LAX I go to the AA one which I think is much better and you get much better attention because of its exclusivity.
I flew LAX-LHR on Saturday and was in the FL F section for dinner for a while. There were maybe 2 other people in there but the staff couldn’t be bothered to get things right. My initial cocktail got forgotten, then i ordered the tahini vegetable dish and they forgot that. When it came out it was inedible and the glass of wine i ordered never came. Finally i left and went to the self serve area. I probably should have sat at the bar in the FL, but i wanted the last bit of sunlight near the windows. Maybe they forgot i was over there?!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone tried changing the ticket to see what the costs would be?
I booked 1/16 PEK-LAX and 4/16 LAX-PEK, but I forgot I used Virgin miles to book ANA first class to Japan 4/11.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by krazieman
Has anyone tried changing the ticket to see what the costs would be?
I booked 1/16 PEK-LAX and 4/16 LAX-PEK, but I forgot I used Virgin miles to book ANA first class to Japan 4/11.
i think the fare rules say 1700CNY for the change, but max stay on this fare 3 months? So you would have to move bck before 4/16 not later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.