Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aa cz: Pek - lax $1298

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:08 pm

Just have a quick general question. Does anyone know if we need to clear customs / immigration at HKG? I am tempted to forfeit the last segment HKG to PEK.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
I wonder what is a better option at the moment this deal or the CAN-LAX for 1850ish deal.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:21 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by darlee
Just have a quick general question. Does anyone know if we need to clear customs / immigration at HKG? I am tempted to forfeit the last segment HKG to PEK.
If you have an onward flight, just get your BP for that and go thru one of the transfer points to stay airside.
CFM3RD and darlee like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by darlee
If your goal is to end the trip in Hong Kong on the return, you can do that and just not show up for the last leg. Checked luggage, however, will be sent through to PEK. If you are transiting HKG to get to PEK, you do not do any customs or immigration in HKG - it is just an airside connection. If you want to abandon the last leg, it might be safer to book yourself an overnight connection in Hong Kong, so that you can argue that any checked luggage would only be checked as far as HKG. It is always a somewhat risky proposition, of course.
darlee and flyingislove like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: AS 100K
has anyone managed tro book this fare via the AA china site with a CX segment at the beginning and end of the itinerary?

I'm trying to make such booking and right after inputing pax info, the site crashes, telling me fare is not available but it still is since US AA agents can price the fare GF shows. Yet, if I try booking the AA PEK LAX nonstop, it proceeds to payment page without issue.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
has anyone managed tro book this fare via the AA china site with a CX segment at the beginning and end of the itinerary?

I'm trying to make such booking and right after inputing pax info, the site crashes, telling me fare is not available but it still is since US AA agents can price the fare GF shows. Yet, if I try booking the AA PEK LAX nonstop, it proceeds to payment page without issue.

it did this to me many many times too. Not sure how I stumbled on it, but I booked via US website and on the advanced search screen I selected round trip ONLY and all airlines. When I did this I got CX and AA mixed flights PEK-HKG-LAX return. The price was 1548 in business but I could upgrade the AA flights from HKG. I could get other routs closer to 1350 but only on AA routes w/787’s and I wa yes the first class upgrade. Dates were limited. I booked 2/16 outbound and 3/6 return. I also saw 3/2 or 3 and return 3/6 or 8 but not sure of still available.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased this fare a few days ago. Working through the fare rules, I was able to route through LAX and NYC. I thought it was excellent for a premium MR for BAEC, even though it is a lot of extra flying.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased this fare a few days ago. Working through the fare rules, I was able to route through LAX and NYC. I thought it was excellent for a premium MR for BAEC, even though it is a lot of extra flying.
could you share a link?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak

I know it was a lot of work to make this particular routing work work for you. But if you would be kind enough to share it I would love to mirror how you made it work because I could not seem to make anything past Dallas work for this particular fair. I’d love to be able to fly to JFK for the extra miles and to get maximum benefit of an upgrade coupon I know it was a lot of work to make this particular routing work work for you. But if you would be kind enough to share it I would love to Mira how you made it work because I could not seem to make anything passed Dallas work for this particular Fehr. I’d love to be able to fly to JFK for the extra miles and to get maximum benefit of an upgrade coupon
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by rkaradi

I know it was a lot of work to make this particular routing work work for you. But if you would be kind enough to share it I would love to mirror how you made it work because I could not seem to make anything past Dallas work for this particular fair. I’d love to be able to fly to JFK for the extra miles and to get maximum benefit of an upgrade coupon I know it was a lot of work to make this particular routing work work for you. But if you would be kind enough to share it I would love to Mira how you made it work because I could not seem to make anything passed Dallas work for this particular Fehr. I’d love to be able to fly to JFK for the extra miles and to get maximum benefit of an upgrade coupon

I used ITA PowerTools to book it, but unfortunately, I can't seem to replicate it now

There was a weird situation on Google Flights where the fare allowed you to terminate in JFK even though it's a LAX fare. It was usually for 2 days turnaround, which didn't work for my schedule. I was unable to route anything through DFW due to zero-ed out I availability.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sokol2003

could you share a link?
Here is an example...not what I booked, but might be useful for an MR....

https://www.google.com/flights?gl=us...04*.USD.139404
roy2016 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Wow! Great find OP thank you! Does any return city besides LAX work?

I booked March 3-6, but I spent a good 1.5 hours trying to find days that would work, and seems like it’s slim pickings at this point. Dates on this fare now seem to be very scarce, or almost dead. Good luck finding space, and this is a deal for the ages.

Also for those trying to use google flights, its only coming up on the AA website. I too went to the China site and got charged in CNY. I also found outbounds on JAL, so you get the apex suite LAX-NRT (but an unbearably hot cabin since JAL keeps temperature on 75 degrees).

Last edited by NWplatinum; Nov 29, 2018 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Wow! Great find OP thank you! Does any return city besides LAX work?

Also for those trying to use google flights, its only coming up on the AA website. I too went to the China site and got charged in CNY. It seems like if you leave on a Wednesday and have at least a two day stay the fare will work. I also found outbounds on JAL, so you get the apex suite.
could you help me to find Jal outbound?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sokol2003

could you help me to find Jal outbound?
You have to play around with dates. On JAL it appears to be an extra 3500CNY
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

You have to play around with dates. On JAL it appears to be an extra 3500CNY
Yeah I tried to find it for 11000 cny but it was always around 4000 cny more to fly with Jal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.