Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aa cz: Pek - lax $1298

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:08 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by gary_nj
Nice to see this one is back, for some dates up to next March/April. The original fare expired on Oct 20, and I noticed a higher price
in the days following that, but it seems to have returned.
Even though I paid for it on booking (since it had a CX segment,) I was still given a 24 change/refund period per the T&C's. However when I went to change the HKG-PEK segment, the fare was $1900, so maybe no more.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Looks like they have extended the last ticket to 27NOV. This fare must give a hint to how awful their LAX-PEK flight is doing as they seem to be chasing bottom of the barrel traffic. In pricing on Matrix, it appears this is some sort of an attempt at a match of CZ who has a sale and is starting their SHE-LAX flight second half of December. With these kind of fares no wonder they are exiting ORD-PEK/PVG....imagine LAX-PEK/PVG are as bad (if not worse) performers for them - pretty sad to see such a large global carrier be so irrelevant in Asia!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:12 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Sorry, but you do realize we are discussing American Airlines. Ranked #71 by SkyTrax, well below AirAsia and WN. Not SQ, QR or CX. Having lived in China for 5 years and dealing with AA for my flights to the US, they were nothing particularly special. Prices were good, especially when they were pushing the ex-YYZ fares. DL moved in and pushed the fares lower, especially premium cabin, with the Chinese carriers following suit. So, this seems to be a reasonable fare for the market.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbAA
Sorry, but you do realize we are discussing American Airlines. Ranked #71 by SkyTrax, well below AirAsia and WN. Not SQ, QR or CX. Having lived in China for 5 years and dealing with AA for my flights to the US, they were nothing particularly special. Prices were good, especially when they were pushing the ex-YYZ fares. DL moved in and pushed the fares lower, especially premium cabin, with the Chinese carriers following suit. So, this seems to be a reasonable fare for the market.
Odd - that has not been my observation at all having visited China and Asia numerous times a year. AA has a pretty darn nice hard product in J but seems to price it at rock bottom rates. DL on the other hand has a mediocre hard J product to China (aside from the A350s) but has always priced it rather high. Would be sweet if DL would match this since you likely could route on an MU flatbed 333 PEK-PVG and then DL A350 PVG-LAX - doesn’t seem like DL/UA/CA/HU/MU want to touch this $1200RT ticket with a 10 foot pole though!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by rbAA
Even though I paid for it on booking (since it had a CX segment,) I was still given a 24 change/refund period per the T&C's. However when I went to change the HKG-PEK segment, the fare was $1900, so maybe no more.
It might be a matter of dates, perhaps?

https://goo.gl/flights/fPT57

The dates for this fare are very detailed... and missing the effective dates for one direction of the trip raises the price to $1900. I haven't really checked to see how easy it is to build various connections into it, but it seems as though at least a HKG connection is possible for the lower fare plus taxes.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:00 pm

How many EQM, RDM, PQD for these trips? Is it better to credit to AA or Alaska?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by flyer253
How many EQM, RDM, PQD for these trips? Is it better to credit to AA or Alaska?
I imagine (without calculating) that Alaska would give you more RDM. But the answer to "which is better?" depends on your status and what you are trying to achieve in each program. Do you need the EQM or EQD to requalify on AA? Do you have status on Alaska and get a bonus on top of the RDM shown in the chart (100% qualifying plus 100% bonus)? It kinda depends.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by gary_nj
It might be a matter of dates, perhaps?

https://goo.gl/flights/fPT57

The dates for this fare are very detailed... and missing the effective dates for one direction of the trip raises the price to $1900. I haven't really checked to see how easy it is to build various connections into it, but it seems as though at least a HKG connection is possible for the lower fare plus taxes.
Thanks for the example, though I had been playing with doing the stopover on the return, as I live in BKK. That's been higher even when I was able to book the $1300 to $1400 RT fares. My 24 hrs is up, so flying it as ticketed.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:37 am

https://www.google.com/flights?gl=al...06*0.HKD.12006

Pleased to post both transfers in HKG in case of help to anyone.

HKG 777-300er is a good use of SWU J->F IMHO
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by HypnoticSpecter

how did you find this? ITA? I cant find anything neat 12k HKD
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by HypnoticSpecter

your link is pricing double your screenshot for me?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Croupier

your link is pricing double your screenshot for me?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:18 pm

I see the fare rule says "transfer" allowed on AA at certain us cities, does that mean one can extend the trip to the east coast, e.g., NYC, BOS or PHL? I would very much appreciate some help with sample itin, my preferred travel dates would be end of Feb (PEK to NYC) and return mid to end of April (NYC to PEK). Thanks,
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by deltame
I see the fare rule says "transfer" allowed on AA at certain us cities, does that mean one can extend the trip to the east coast, e.g., NYC, BOS or PHL? I would very much appreciate some help with sample itin, my preferred travel dates would be end of Feb (PEK to NYC) and return mid to end of April (NYC to PEK). Thanks,
Yes, but the HIP check will jack up the price substantially if you add stopovers. A stopover in JFK on the outbound doubles the total cost, for example.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling

Yes, but the HIP check will jack up the price substantially if you add stopovers. A stopover in JFK on the outbound doubles the total cost, for example.
Many thanks! I guess it might make better sense to add a separate ticket between LAX-eastCoast. Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.