Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Ba: Ams/cdg-bkk/hkg/kul/sin € 1.300++

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ba: Ams/cdg-bkk/hkg/kul/sin € 1.300++

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Looks right to me. Stopovers are 100EUR each if I remember correctly and you have to factor in APD from London.
Thanks wmaciej! I guess I can also use a GFU1 to upgrade one leg of the flight to F, right?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by EMB195

Thanks wmaciej! I guess I can also use a GFU1 to upgrade one leg of the flight to F, right?
Why not both? GUF covers round trip.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I might be a bit late to the game with this one, but was looking to book flights via this fare from late December to January 2018-19 for me and the Mrs. Matrix suggests that lots of these are still possible (see screenshots) but I can't seem to get any of them to price via BookWithMatrix or direct through BA. Have I missed the boat or would a call to the BAEC line likely be fruitful?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lancasteruk
I might be a bit late to the game with this one, but was looking to book flights via this fare from late December to January 2018-19 for me and the Mrs. Matrix suggests that lots of these are still possible (see screenshots) but I can't seem to get any of them to price via BookWithMatrix or direct through BA. Have I missed the boat or would a call to the BAEC line likely be fruitful?

Thanks in advance.
Call BA and book with the exact flight numbers and dates/times recited to the agent. You'll not have any issues.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by lancasteruk

Thanks in advance.
That looks tasty.

I can't price that far in the future, though... what's the secret?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Try out the "See calendar of lowest fares"-option ;-)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by marcccus
Try out the "See calendar of lowest fares"-option ;-)
Ah yes, I was in multi-city where it doesn't seem to exist!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:53 am

Found a deal for £1,176 with BA - AMS to BKK in march!

Is BA product that bad on the older 777? The alternative is Finnair for another £400
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by G2018uk
Found a deal for £1,176 with BA - AMS to BKK in march!

Is BA product that bad on the older 777? The alternative is Finnair for another £400
It is terrible. And best avoided.

Route via HKG, SIN or KUL for much better product.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It is terrible. And best avoided.

Route via HKG, SIN or KUL for much better product.
thanks 👍

Found a route via KL on the outbound and HKG on the inbound for €1400
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
anyone getting this to price during June/July?

Also - what is GUF?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ttep
anyone getting this to price during June/July?

Also - what is GUF?
Here you go: https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...AMS0BA444;sc=b

Loads of availability in June + July.

GUF is a Gold Upgrade Voucher that certain high status BA Executive Club members get when they reach a certain amount of tier points. You need to get 2500 in a year, so around 7x AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR-AMS in order to get one voucher which is valid for 2 people. The voucher enables two people to upgrade their BA journey to the next cabin. It is often combined with other vouchers for some pretty cool redemptions.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
GUF is a Gold Upgrade Voucher that certain high status BA Executive Club members get when they reach a certain amount of tier points. You need to get 2500 in a year, so around 7x AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR-AMS in order to get one voucher which is valid for 2 people. The voucher enables two people to upgrade their BA journey to the next cabin. It is often combined with other vouchers for some pretty cool redemptions.
To add a bit more detail - at 2,500 BA tier points one is awarded a GUF2 which is good for an upgrade to the next cabin up for either 1 or 2 people travelling on BA. However such upgrades are only possible if there is Avios availability in the class to which one wishes to be upgraded.

At 3,000 BA tier points one gains admission to the top tier of earned membership - Gold Guest List (which I finally made a few years ago). At that time one receives 2 GGL redemptions, often referred to as jokers. A joker, when played, more or less guarantees that seats can be made available for oneself and up to 4 companions travelling on the same booking, even when there is zero Avios availability. A joker won't work however if someone else has already played their joker on the same flight, or if the class in which one is seeking to travel is already quite full and only the top level fare bucket is still available.

At 3,500 points one earns 2 x GF1, which can be used either for 2 upgrades for 1 person or one upgrade for 2 people.

Although BA business class sale fares from AMS to BKK have been (almost absurdly) low, I had disregarded them in my search for a low cost way of getting to the Far East in July, because the BA business product is so awful. It was only as I skimmed through this thread, it occurred to me that I was reminded that I could use a GUF1 plus a joker to ensure I travelled in F (which I continue to think is a decent product) on the long haul segments.

I found the precise combination of flights I needed on ITA Matrix, and BA GGL customer services were able to book them all for me without problem. The total cost even came in £25 cheaper than Matrix had priced it. My routing is AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK-HKG-LHR-AMS with 10 days in Singapore, plus one night in Bangkok, then a swift transit through Hong Kong (I believe that Cathay still interline one world luggage) to take the A380 back to London. I have booked the final leg back to Amsterdam for November at a cost of an extra €100, however this, with the return half of my positioning flight will allow for a 2 day winter mini-break, which beats either dumping the final sector and thus taking the risk of possibly having one's card marked, or continuing on to Amsterdam and then immediately turning around to come home. Total price paid was £1435.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
To add a bit more detail - at 2,500 BA tier points one is awarded a GUF2 which is good for an upgrade to the next cabin up for either 1 or 2 people travelling on BA. However such upgrades are only possible if there is Avios availability in the class to which one wishes to be upgraded.
Not the case. Use a travel agent and you can force it in, so long as the relevant fare bucket is available.
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
At 3,000 BA tier points one gains admission to the top tier of earned membership - Gold Guest List (which I finally made a few years ago).
Also not the case. It's an initial 5,000TP to qualify, then 3,000TP each year following that hurdle.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Mea culpa, on both points!

Travel agents can force availability, but in that case the GUF holder must both pay and travel, whereas I believe, providing there is Avios availability (and the booking is made through BA), the GUF holder must still pay for the booking, but it is not necessary for them to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.