Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA, ORD-ICN $2360 in business, other US cities available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA, ORD-ICN $2360 in business, other US cities available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
You aren't going to the South Pole!
Bring a winter jacket (and/or layer clothing) and go outside! Enjoy the food, people, culture.. don't be cooped up in the hotel lounge like some cheap travel blogger!
Don't worry, I definitely plan to get outside and see Seoul after flying all that way. Lonely Planet book arrived last week.

Staying in the hotel lounge on trips like this could only lead to becoming fat and drunk.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by jcatman
Great, thanks for the clarification. Research completed. Hotel booked.
Conrad still or one of the Marriots?

Originally Posted by nk15
If you are lucky and there is a fluke it could be warmer. You will survive an MR but it just won't be too great for any sightseeing. I had booked a trip myself there for Thanksgiving but I had to cancel and try to visit in the Spring, was just not worth it for me in my circumstances, but it is a great deal for EXP.
Global warming one might hope. I'll be back in SEL in July, hopefully weather will be more cooperative for sightseeing.

Last edited by island82; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:21 pm Reason: .
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Have done a MR to ICN several times; different times of year ;-) Highly recommend the JW Marriott Seoul in Gangnam - it's older than the one at Dongdaemun, but still luxurious in a tacky, 80's kind of way.

More important for a wintertime MR, it's on a direct airport bus line, it's connected to a nice department store, and its located on top of a subway station with three lines. Easy and quick to get to most tourist destinations without going outside.

I still see this deal from LAX and ORD on select dates; unfortunately not seeing any love from SFO.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is painful to me that I cannot use this fare, considering how rare it is and I haven't even been there yet. I even had to cancel my ICN trip in JAL first both ways for 62.5k miles each, which I will probably never fly again with the new mileage required. But I just couldn't justified it with the freezing temps.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This is still available for Christmas/NYE, too. Just saw EWR-DTW-ICN-DTW-EWR on DL routing on the 747 both ways for $2434, about 11.5cpm.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Still available, including flights out of often-elusive SDF. SDF-DFW-ICN turn is available 12/26-12/27 for $2357.10 roundtrip, books into F/I/I/F for 31,782 EQM, putting me just over the edge for EXP. 7.4 cents per EQM seems like a bargain for J, especially when there are no positioning costs and the dates happen to work perfectly.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...DF0AA5775;sc=b
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Doing this with 3 buddies right before thanksgiving, UA 11/21-23

BWI-DEN-NET-ICN-SFO-ORD-BWI

ICN-SFO Upfared to GF on the 747 for an extra $500, wanted to try GF once before it gets fased out. Came out to $2440 pp + upfare after the fact. (Actually upfared ICN-SFO-ORD-BWI all into A on the rtn, P on the outbound)
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:43 am

I need 32,900EQM to make EXP again, and this would give me 33,600 (out of BOS). Sadly, I promised the wife no more MRs for a long time, and the fact that the fare is available over the Holiday break is especially painful.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Still available, including flights out of often-elusive SDF. SDF-DFW-ICN turn is available 12/26-12/27 for $2357.10 roundtrip, books into F/I/I/F for 31,782 EQM, putting me just over the edge for EXP. 7.4 cents per EQM seems like a bargain for J, especially when there are no positioning costs and the dates happen to work perfectly.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...DF0AA5775;sc=b
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:40 pm

Booked this over x-mas. There are some creative routes out there that dont increase the fare too much. For example, I found JFK-LAS-DFW-ICN-DFW-SAN-JFK for <$3k and >40K EQM.

Does anyone know if the airport train from ICN runs on Christmas Day?

Also what are the thoughts between Four Seasons and Park Hyatt in terms of location and access to the airport for a 1 night stay?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:19 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
Booked this over x-mas. There are some creative routes out there that dont increase the fare too much. For example, I found JFK-LAS-DFW-ICN-DFW-SAN-JFK for <$3k and >40K EQM.

Does anyone know if the airport train from ICN runs on Christmas Day?

Also what are the thoughts between Four Seasons and Park Hyatt in terms of location and access to the airport for a 1 night stay?
iirc Park Hyatt Seoul pays for your taxi from their hotel to the local bus terminal (or whatever). You can buy tickets at the hotel too.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Delta PM
Anyone have any experience with ICN border control and mileage runs? I have a 19 hour layover and not sure if I should book a hotel or just use the transfer desk and stay in the airport? I have never done a mileage run and I am not sure what to expect in terms of questioning if I stay for only 1 day?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Lots of people have such layovers at ICN. I would say they wouldnt consider it much at all. I personally would have no worries about it and would not limit myself to the airport for such a long time.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Lots of people have such layovers at ICN. I would say they wouldnt consider it much at all. I personally would have no worries about it and would not limit myself to the airport for such a long time.
Thanks for the response! What would you recommend that I put as the reason of stay on the traveler declaration form when going through immigration? Should I explain I am doing a mileage run if questioned why I am returning back to the US in 19 hours?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:14 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by nj1015
Thanks for the response! What would you recommend that I put as the reason of stay on the traveler declaration form when going through immigration? Should I explain I am doing a mileage run if questioned why I am returning back to the US in 19 hours?
Just answer them honestly. No need to give further information unless asked specifically. If you were leaving the airport to rest or just see the city, that's your reason.

Note, the lounges in ICN are a bit.... unsatisfying. If I were you, I'd take as much time out of the airport as possible.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Server
Note, the lounges in ICN are a bit.... unsatisfying. If I were you, I'd take as much time out of the airport as possible.
+1. I did a 20 hour MR to ICN on AA last year. I used points and got a room at the Grand Hyatt outside of the airport.

The lounges leave a lot to be desired. A lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.