Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njx9
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with my post or the question I asked.
Fair enough, sorry you didn't enjoy my humor.

Have you ever carried a sports drink mix? A freeze dried food in powder form?

Since no policy has been officially published or discussed by TSA other than a few mentioned from individual TSO's who have posted here no one knows what, when or how this powder thing will be implemented if at all.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A freeze dried food in powder form?

Since no policy has been officially published or discussed by TSA other than a few mentioned from individual TSO's who have posted here no one knows what, when or how this powder thing will be implemented if at all.
Freeze-dried food. I hadn't thought about it and I am scheduled to go on a backcountry trip in a few weeks with lots of freeze-dried food in sealed packages.

Most of the freeze-dried is in chunks, but some crunches down into powder. If they open it up, it can't be resealed. And then going through Customs & Immigration in Canada, there might then be issues about my opened food.

Let's hope that this proposal never gets off the ground, but that if it does it will only apply to carry-ons.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:09 am

Fair enough, sorry you didn't enjoy my humor.

Sorry, I misread the roll-eyes thing. They were used... differently.. on another board I posted to.

I haven't, but ok, that makes a bit more sense. (And yes, I'm fully expecting non-standard, bizarre enforcement [like pasta=liquid], so was really trying to come up with "standard" stuff that would fit the "powder" definition)

Cheers

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Perhaps with all of this you will need to take a BC Powder.
God... I can only imagine how godawful that stuff must taste. "Place the powder directly on the tongue and swallow with water" sounds like a horrible idea.

Last edited by njx9; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:12 am Reason: added multi-quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Soup mix? Instant coffee? Sugar? Salt? I'd guess lots of frequent travellers have such things in their bags.

The nuisance factor is going to come in the fact that many of these things are in paper or foil one-use packets; if they have to open it to "test" it, it becomes useless.

Despite any official announcement on this (or maybe because of that), it sounds like exactly the sort of idiotic, retrograde, incompetent, ill-conceived "enhancement" that TSA HQ would come up with.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:09 pm

Huntsville will begin the new procedure for powder screening monday, I'm told.

Good times.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Still nothing on the TSA website about the new "rules." Gotta love an out of control agency that feels it has no need to be accountable to the Constitution its officers swear an oath to uphold and defend to the best of their abilities.

How TSA personnel can live with themselves in good conscience is beyond me.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean

Good times.
And is there any intention of, ya know, actually informing passengers in advance so that they can pack accordingly, or is that now considered so 20th century? TSA can just introduce stupid, unsupported, intrusive new procedures without warning?

Where to from here? Next week, people with green shirts will not be allowed to fly. Just because. The week after, all hardback books will be confiscated. Because they can, that's why. Is there no end to this madness?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
TSA can just introduce stupid, unsupported, intrusive new procedures without warning?
I'll skip the countdown - I am sure someone official from TSA would answer "Consistent Inconsistency."

They are not accountable for their actions, at either the individual worker-bee level or any level of management...hence, they could give a rat's fat @$$ about informing anyone through anything other than the grapevine "unofficial" comment route, like our friendly TSO members here.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:29 pm

Huntsville will begin the new procedure for powder screening monday, I'm told. Good times.
Hi Dean, can you clarify to us what you were told, when you were told and was it done by a supervisor at HSV, general email, or another method?? Can you give us any specifics as to what will be allowed vs not allowed? Is all powder banned, or is everything going to be tested now? Any details you may have that you can share would be nice. Many Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spence1097
Hi Dean, can you clarify to us what you were told, when you were told and was it done by a supervisor at HSV, general email, or another method?? Can you give us any specifics as to what will be allowed vs not allowed? Is all powder banned, or is everything going to be tested now? Any details you may have that you can share would be nice. Many Thanks
At this point, given the obviously sly nature of TSA implementing this, I am assuming that information falls under TSA's bullspit SSI policy. I am further assuming that Dean won't say much beyond what he has said, until the policies are made public, as it would probably get him in deep bullspit with his supes.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njx9
Sorry, I misread the roll-eyes thing. They were used... differently.. on another board I posted to.

I haven't, but ok, that makes a bit more sense. (And yes, I'm fully expecting non-standard, bizarre enforcement [like pasta=liquid], so was really trying to come up with "standard" stuff that would fit the "powder" definition)

Cheers

God... I can only imagine how godawful that stuff must taste. "Place the powder directly on the tongue and swallow with water" sounds like a horrible idea.

Taste real bad, works real good. Really!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Good times.
Does it involve sniffing the same coke that TSA's been snorting?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:37 pm

And is there any intention of, ya know, actually informing passengers in advance so that they can pack accordingly, or is that now considered so 20th century? TSA can just introduce stupid, unsupported, intrusive new procedures without warning?
Gee RG, we have signage at all the entrances to the airports, in the bathrooms, announcements blaring overhead, more signs on the concourses, notifications on airline web pages, news stories (both print and video media), blogs, web sites, and even pamphlets that are available, and people STILL cant get the right sized liquids in their carry-on's. Just what the heck do you think one more sign, one more announcement or one more web page are going to do?

Geez, and you people call the TSA unreasonable! Exercise some personal responsibility and take the time to find out for yourself!

Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Geez, and you people call the TSA unreasonable! Exercise some personal responsibility and take the time to find out for yourself!

Some of us would FRACKING love to...however, the agency that you are so deep in bed with as an employee has absolutely ZERO information, OF ANY KIND, displayed on any page or any Federal Register entries about this new anal shafting coming down the pipe. NOTHING.

The only thing we have about it is the extremely cryptic, lacking information for fear of breaking SSI rules, posts from a couple of TSO on this forum and in several other non-governmental websites on the Internet.

Get off your fracking high-horse about telling us to have some fracking responsibility. Read the damn thread; several people have commented about the absolute dirth of information coming from your asinine employer. Don't sit here and spout SH*T about us, the traveling public, taking responsibility to find out information about the newest asinine rule of the day, when your fracking asshat organization doesn't have the fracking balls to post the rule itself to the public.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:42 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Well, no public policy, but there's an SOP on it. I kid you not, I was required to read on and sign off on it.

Just a sign with some wording... that hasn't been provided to us... so apparently... we're legally required to put the sign up... but... HQ apparently expects us to make the sign and not just send some out to us...

Last edited by LoganTSO; Aug 22, 2009 at 12:49 am Reason: formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.