FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Everybody FREEZE!!!!!!!!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/956778-everybody-freeze.html)

#10 Sep 27, 2009 2:13 am

Reaching inside the tunnel

Slightly OT. After x-ray, there is usually a long tunnel from which your belongings emerge. Reaching inside the tunnel is usually treated as a federal offense by TSO's. (Maybe it is?)

When trays are rolling it is not an issue, but when the person at the monitor is perplexed by what they see and call over the person who is a superior monitor reader to help them, it is very frustrating to see your things within reach in the tunnel, but have to wait for the monitor study to conclude. If I grab my stuff from inside the tunnel and ignore the TSA disgust for my act, does this escalate to LEO if I do not demure to their threats?

Trollkiller Sep 27, 2009 2:43 am

Originally Posted by #10 (Post 12444211)
Slightly OT. After x-ray, there is usually a long tunnel from which your belongings emerge. Reaching inside the tunnel is usually treated as a federal offense by TSO's. (Maybe it is?)

When trays are rolling it is not an issue, but when the person at the monitor is perplexed by what they see and call over the person who is a superior monitor reader to help them, it is very frustrating to see your things within reach in the tunnel, but have to wait for the monitor study to conclude. If I grab my stuff from inside the tunnel and ignore the TSA disgust for my act, does this escalate to LEO if I do not demure to their threats?

It would be considered interfering with screening. (civil) A LEO may consider it disorderly conduct. (criminal)

If you look at it from their point of view you will understand why the get so bent. They are trying to clear an item and some dunce shoves his hand in the machine. Not only does this distract them from clearing the item but they have been warned and trained that x-rays are dangerous and you NEVER stick your body in there. Those tunnels are there for a reason.

I dislike the TSA a whole bunch, but I am with them on this one. I think I would go off grid if I were running the machine and you pulled that on me.

IrishDoesntFlyNow Sep 27, 2009 3:20 am

Originally Posted by lobster7 (Post 12444076)
Actually, I could list about 200 more from just this past year.....

I'll also stick to my "vast majority" comment. I've worked public safety for the last 10 years or so and have dealt with cops, deputies, state troopers, etc from many different jurisdictions. I have met only a few that didn't have an "us vs them" attitude and seem anywhere from having a small amount of arrogance to a huge amount. I'm sick of hearing about that they have a dangerous job, and everything they do is about "officer safety". They choose the career they are in which is to serve the public, not intimidate and harass. One can see the current mentality by turning into any "cops" show on TV, or searching YouTube, or reading the daily newspapers.

How many encounters could you google that were satisfactorily resolved for all parties involved? And what proportion of the total actual number of cop encounters does each list represent? Statistically, this is all anecdotal data and skewed to the points of view of the posters, which means: it's all trash data (on either side of the argument). The "bad guy" believers are looking for "bad guy" data, and the "good guy" believers are looking for "good guy" data.

N965VJ Sep 27, 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller (Post 12444255)
It would be considered interfering with screening. (civil) A LEO may consider it disorderly conduct. (criminal)

If you look at it from their point of view you will understand why the get so bent. They are trying to clear an item and some dunce shoves his hand in the machine. Not only does this distract them from clearing the item but they have been warned and trained that x-rays are dangerous and you NEVER stick your body in there. Those tunnels are there for a reason.

I think what #10 is referring to is the stainless steel “cage” that has been added to the exit of the x-ray machine. There is no danger to radiation exposure, as the screener side is open so they can access an item if they wish.

My favorite part is when the TSO asks “Is that your bag?” when it’s still in there. There’s no way I can positively see what bag they are talking about, and I calmly tell them that fact. There’s nothing really distinguishing about my black rollaboard, unless a million leftover elastic strings on the handle from gate checking on RJ flights count.

I do agree that reaching in the cage to retrieve something is akin to not completing the screening process, though.

Trollkiller Sep 27, 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow (Post 12444306)
How many encounters could you google that were satisfactorily resolved for all parties involved? And what proportion of the total actual number of cop encounters does each list represent? Statistically, this is all anecdotal data and skewed to the points of view of the posters, which means: it's all trash data (on either side of the argument). The "bad guy" believers are looking for "bad guy" data, and the "good guy" believers are looking for "good guy" data.

I think if you attempt to search for encounters "that were satisfactorily resolved for all parties involved" the number would be very small, even if the cop did nothing wrong. Think about it, no one is satisfied when they get a ticket even if they were speeding. I think you need to pick a different criteria.

To do a proper study you would need to assess a score and definition to each marker. One person's arrogance is another's confidence.

If we can agree that lying on a police report constitutes abuse and/or a "us v them" mentality then this study will prove to you that the vast majority of cops are as lobster7 describes.

The study was done at a police academy where the study could be controlled. The study revealed that altering police reports increased the closer the recruits got to completing the training. I will have to assume the alterations continued after graduation.

From the study

With the exception of two reports, one on 5/26/05 and the other written on 7/19/05, both the percentage of reports with a fabrication and the severity of fabrications increase over time, culminating in an average of 77% of the recruits fabricating at least one element of their reports, with a corresponding increase in severity.
Pretty eye opening study.

Trollkiller Sep 27, 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 12445017)
I think what #10 is referring to is the stainless steel “cage” that has been added to the exit of the x-ray machine. There is no danger to radiation exposure, as the screener side is open so they can access an item if they wish.

My favorite part is when the TSO asks “Is that your bag?” when it’s still in there. There’s no way I can positively see what bag they are talking about, and I calmly tell them that fact. There’s nothing really distinguishing about my black rollaboard, unless a million leftover elastic strings on the handle from gate checking on RJ flights count.

I do agree that reaching in the cage to retrieve something is akin to not completing the screening process, though.

Thanks for the clarification, I was worried #10 was dosing himself with radiation.

Easy Victor Sep 27, 2009 9:42 am

I reach in a grab my belongings all the time. I've never had anyone question this.

Originally Posted by #10 (Post 12444211)

Good Guy Sep 27, 2009 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lobster7 (Post 12444076)
Actually, I could list about 200 more from just this past year.....

I'll also stick to my "vast majority" comment. I've worked public safety for the last 10 years or so and have dealt with cops, deputies, state troopers, etc from many different jurisdictions. I have met only a few that didn't have an "us vs them" attitude and seem anywhere from having a small amount of arrogance to a huge amount. I'm sick of hearing about that they have a dangerous job, and everything they do is about "officer safety". They choose the career they are in which is to serve the public, not intimidate and harass. One can see the current mentality by turning into any "cops" show on TV, or searching YouTube, or reading the daily newspapers.

And this is were we come to an impasse. I respect your opinion, and hope you can respect mine. ^

wildcatlh Sep 27, 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 12443823)
Well, good job. You were able to google 24 incidences. I'm sure you could probably come up with some more, but to say that the "vast majority" of the 800,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the US are "arrogant, abusive, power tripping, us vs them attitude jack booted thugs" is reaching just a tad. And TK, to say that just one in too many...well, brother, I want to live in your world.

The minority are arrogant, abusive, power tripping, us vs them attitude jack booted thugs. The ones that aren't merely stand around and watch the bad ones do that, say nothing, and then defend them when they come up on charges.

http://www.theagitator.com/category/...-police-raids/
http://www.theagitator.com/category/...ofessionalism/

Good Guy Sep 27, 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 12445396)
The minority are arrogant, abusive, power tripping, us vs them attitude jack booted thugs. The ones that aren't merely stand around and watch the bad ones do that, say nothing, and then defend them when they come up on charges.

http://www.theagitator.com/category/...-police-raids/
http://www.theagitator.com/category/...ofessionalism/

The Agitator? Seriously? Have a nice day.

IrishDoesntFlyNow Sep 27, 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller (Post 12445114)
I think if you attempt to search for encounters "that were satisfactorily resolved for all parties involved" the number would be very small, even if the cop did nothing wrong. Think about it, no one is satisfied when they get a ticket even if they were speeding. I think you need to pick a different criteria.

Perhaps it was poor phraseology. By "satisfactorily resolved", I didn't mean "happy". I merely meant the encounter wasn't escalated and didn't result in theft, brutality, verbal abuse, or any of the other various actions usually lumped together under the general term "abusive".

Originally Posted by Trollkiller (Post 12445114)
To do a proper study you would need to assess a score and definition to each marker. One person's arrogance is another's confidence.

If we can agree that lying on a police report constitutes abuse and/or a "us v them" mentality then this study will prove to you that the vast majority of cops are as lobster7 describes.

The study was done at a police academy where the study could be controlled. The study revealed that altering police reports increased the closer the recruits got to completing the training. I will have to assume the alterations continued after graduation.

Pretty eye opening study.

Depends on the "lie". Interesting paper, though, although as "a study" the methodology is pretty poor. I don't think it proves much, except as applied to the specific and very tiny sample the writer reviewed. However (as we're getting way OT) if you want to bat it around further, feel free to drop me a PM.

In the meantime, I stand by what I originally said. :)

wildcatlh Sep 27, 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 12445407)
The Agitator? Seriously? Have a nice day.

In general, the only reason that someone attacks the messenger is that they don't have a real response to the message.

Good Guy Sep 27, 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 12445425)
In general, the only reason that someone attacks the messenger is that they don't have a real response to the message.

Not attacking the messenger. I think your source might be slightly skewed.

wildcatlh Sep 27, 2009 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Good Guy (Post 12445460)
Not attacking the messenger. I think your source might be slightly skewed.

All the posts I've linked to are just links to articles on other sites. So, yeah.

Look. Its obvious that we're not going to get anywhere arguing with each other on this. It's just a difficult thing for me.

Good Guy Sep 27, 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 12445485)
Look. Its obvious that we're not going to get anywhere arguing with each other on this. It's just a difficult thing for me.

Agree. Have a nice day. ^