FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   CBP keeping the country safe! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/757136-cbp-keeping-country-safe.html)

vassilipan Nov 17, 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by wsommerv (Post 8745809)

Two points can be made with this post: CBP is in dire need of some leadership.

A Canadian, with Michael Moore - trumpeting universal health care, must come to the United States for a life-saving procedure.

HeHateY Nov 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by vassilipan (Post 8745845)

A Canadian, with Michael Moore - trumpeting universal health care, must come to the United States for a life-saving procedure.

Windsor is a small city. They have a facility for such a procedure (angioplasty) in London Ontario...(2 hours away)...and in Detroit, 5 minutes away.

The protocol that is supposed to be in place at the tunnel means that there is no need for a multi-million dollar facility in Windsor.

vassilipan Nov 17, 2007 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY (Post 8746890)
Windsor is a small city. They have a facility for such a procedure (angioplasty) in London Ontario...(2 hours away)...and in Detroit, 5 minutes away.

The protocol that is supposed to be in place at the tunnel means that there is no need for a multi-million dollar facility in Windsor.

Perhaps CBP should be in on the protocol.

CousinNick Nov 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY (Post 8746890)

Windsor isn't that small a city. I live in a city smaller than Windsor, and one of our hospitals can perform heart transplants.

Angioplasty is not exactly that rare a procedure.

mre5765 Nov 24, 2007 12:57 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8745670)
I imaging that the on board reservoir on a fire truck could be used to easily smuggle several tons of coke, heroin, etc, into the United States. It's not as if there drug trade in Canada is run out of nearby Montreal or anything. I guess you didn't realize that.

Perhaps instead of bashing the border agents for doing their job, you should hold some criticism for the towns in northern Vermont for not having enough fire staff to handle their own local events. It might be small, but it isn't a poor state.

You are correct that this is an easy way to smuggle. So what? Given a choice between a few bags of heroin coming in, and lives and property protected by firefighters, I'll take the lives and property. Those who would allow people to burn to death in exchange for security, deserve only the former and will get only the former.

etch5895 Nov 24, 2007 1:18 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8745670)
Perhaps instead of bashing the border agents for doing their job, you should hold some criticism for the towns in northern Vermont for not having enough fire staff to handle their own local events. It might be small, but it isn't a poor state.

I'm guessing that the communities probably rely on volunteer fire departments in that area. I was in a volunteer fire dept while I was in community college and depending on the timing of the alarm, you may or may not get too many firefighters responding. The multitude of small towns trying to hire full time fire staff for relatively few calls doesn't make a lot of sense for small town budgets, when volunteers will usually fill the bill.

For the suggestion that the CBP office should send a vehicle to shadow them instead of stopping them at the border: If this is a small border checkpoint, I doubt they would have the manpower to cut an officer or two loose to watch a firetruck for x number of hours.

I think the proper use of the telephone with an agreed upon SOP would have kept this from happening. Maybe now it will be enacted.

Polar Man Nov 24, 2007 9:19 am

Think of the children

[QUOTE=thegeneral;8745670]I imaging that the on board reservoir on a fire truck could be used to easily smuggle several tons of coke, heroin, etc, into the United States. QUOTE]

I imagine....
/sarcasm
think of all the illegal Mexican immigrants we could put in there to steel yer jobs.
OMG what if we put gas in the tank then we could spray that on the fire?
We could bring some guns. Whoops hold it most of the illegal guns crossing the boarder come into Canada from the States.\ sarcasm

In the end i guess it's easier to blame Canada than yourselves.