FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Outrageous Behaviour by TSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/749243-outrageous-behaviour-tsa.html)

n198ua Oct 23, 2007 1:33 am

Outrageous Behaviour by TSA

deleted.

tednugent(no relation) Oct 23, 2007 2:17 am

Sorry for your experience, but....

A quick look over in the Travel Safety/Security forum will show you that this type behavior on the part of TSA employees is far from uncommon.

Unfortunately. :mad:

But what does it have to do with United?

Glad you made your flight in the end. ^

stanfordhokie Oct 23, 2007 2:21 am

Originally Posted by n198ua (Post 8606438)
I was later recounting this story to a FA on my flight who was horrified, and said I most certainly have a winnable law suit. My question is a) what are your thoughts?

My thoughts? Don't take legal advice from a FA.

tednugent(no relation) Oct 23, 2007 2:23 am

Originally Posted by stanfordhokie (Post 8606533)
My thoughts? Don't take legal advice from a FA.

LOL! ^

But it is definitely OK to take free drinks from a lawyer. :D

stanfordhokie Oct 23, 2007 2:38 am

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation) (Post 8606536)
But it is definitely OK to take free drinks from a lawyer. :D

Haha, absolutely!! ^^

djlndc Oct 23, 2007 4:16 am

"Winnable Lawsuit." Like stated before, don't take legal advice from a FA.

Last week McDonalds left onions on my burger when I specifically asked for "No Onions." Anyone think I got a case?

fastair Oct 23, 2007 5:16 am

Based on what, age discrimination? I believe the law on that does not apply to you (or me for that matter) as it only kicks in after a certain age. It is perfectly legal to discriminate against the youth, just not the elderly.

But don't take legal advice from me either...I am only 1 step up from a FA because I watch Law and Order!

mecabq Oct 23, 2007 5:30 am

I like your attitude of "really no harm was done" in our over-litigious society. Still, it might be worth a letter to TSA because the screeners' conduct appears to be outrageous. Like all government bureaucracies, TSA has a "civil rights" office (it might be at the DHS level, although TSA does have an office for matters related to screening of passengers with disabilities), and complaints about "civil rights" (in your case, it would be based both on age, because of the comment about people your age not having pacemakers and on disability or medical condition) go right to the top of the list for attention, trumping all of the other legitimate complaints about just plain rude and thuggish behavior from screeners.

To answer another question of yours, the screeners are employed strictly by TSA, so are fully unaccountable except by our political process.

bseller Oct 23, 2007 5:49 am

In before the move to TS&S! :D

violist Oct 23, 2007 5:56 am

Ha, right after you, Dave.

Just wanted to say, you shouldn't trust lawyers pontificating about
scheduled airline service either!

iluv2fly Oct 23, 2007 6:08 am

As others have stated, this belongs in the Travel Safety/Security forum. Follow it there.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

BDLORD Oct 23, 2007 6:10 am

going going, hey where are the super mods?

ajax Oct 23, 2007 6:51 am

Wow. TSA guy sounds like a fool.

I don't think you have a winnable lawsuit, because you don't have grounds to make any sort of claim.

Best of luck.

drat19 Oct 23, 2007 7:31 am

What you MAY have is an opportunity for some more unflattering media exposure of TSA behavior, if you choose to go that route with this, beyond these posts.

bzbdewd Oct 23, 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 8606909)
I like your attitude of "really no harm was done" in our over-litigious society. Still, it might be worth a letter to TSA because the screeners' conduct appears to be outrageous. Like all government bureaucracies, TSA has a "civil rights" office (it might be at the DHS level, although TSA does have an office for matters related to screening of passengers with disabilities), and complaints about "civil rights" (in your case, it would be based both on age, because of the comment about people your age not having pacemakers and on disability or medical condition) go right to the top of the list for attention, trumping all of the other legitimate complaints about just plain rude and thuggish behavior from screeners.

To answer another question of yours, the screeners are employed strictly by TSA, so are fully unaccountable except by our political process.

If the hand wand can really impact the pace-maker I think this is a little more serious. True in this case there was no harm done but it could have been very serious and the TSA should be called on the carpet for it.