Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Complaining Passengers Delay Flight out of SAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complaining Passengers Delay Flight out of SAN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Ah I think I get you, but I don't think overreacting to the presence of "Arabs" on a plane or anywhere else is due to a lack of experience. Lack of something more basic I'd say. And I wouldn't say we (the tolerant) are the ones that are skewed, but that may just be a semantic difference of opinion.
How do people who have limited/no exposure to other cultures react when faced with them? They have to resort to whatever body of knowledge they have accumulated throughout their lives. If they watch the news and read the papers with no basis to form an opposing opinion, they create their own bias.

Again, right, wrong or otherwise, her reaction could be predicted. I have my own opinion on how these situations could be averted, but I'll save that rant for another day.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LLM
“I'm very sorry, but I'd do anything to protect my kids,” she said. “If people want to put me down, that's their right.”
[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2007090
What is scary is that a large number of the comments following that story actually support the woman.

Sigh.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:30 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
What is scary is that a large number of the comments following that story actually support the woman.

Sigh.
Yes, and those losers seem to be locals. Imagine if they chose to visit Ali Baba restaurant where the food is inexpensive and delicious and the menu and most of the conversation is in Arabic, right here in the heart of San Diego county.

I wonder what trailer park they live in. My neighborhood is rather upscale and yet probably a third of my neighbors speak languages other than English or Spanish in their homes (as do we).
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:28 am

Sigh.
...which makes people like you, me, and 99% of FTers more worldly than them and able to think and communicate in a more rational manner.

I have lived long enough in areas that are quite dangerous (think of cities worser than present-day Tijuana, BCN or Nuevo Laredo, Tamp. in Mexico) as a pre-teen to know when a real threat is present.

I am wondering if it just so happens that my former college Chemistry professor who now is happily retired in the La Jolla area was there for that flight? Would he have been singled out for being an expert in Chemistry if he had the unfortunate chance to interact with her? In case you're wondering, he is also an Iraqi, had an intense hatred of the Saddam regime, and is probably one of the best Arab cuisine cooks that I know. He is no "Chemical Ali" yet I think he would probably stab Ali if given half the chance.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
If you took the time to read the article, you would have noticed the comments posted below it.

Like it or not, this is what we have to deal with. I don't agree with ethnic profiling one bit, but I understand how people with limited exposure may react. "Thinking" people have to see potential outcomes and their origins.

Not everybody flies on a regular basis and the mass media does a terrible job of reflecting the real world.

Edit: nevermind

Last edited by Fishie; Sep 2, 2007 at 7:46 am
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

Sigh.
I believe one problem is here (in the United States) we have little exposure to other cultures. Turn on cable TV or go to the movies, and most things are US-centric, movies are all Hollywood, etc.

Some press outlets play a role as well. There is one particular channel that claims to be "Fair and Balanced" (which has high ratings), but instead of it being balanced, it is highly conservative with a focus on "The war on Terror" ... terror this, we are at a high risk, terror that, etc.

Many American's don't even realize parts of the middle east such as Dubai are safe & modern. The first thing that comes to their mind is (extreme) Islam and Arab stereotypes.

Much of this is a product of American Culture starting from lack of education in schools to society. As far as cable or even satellite TV, it would be nice if I could obtain UK-TV, BBC UK (not the 'BBC America' which we now have), along with television programming & news from the UK, Australia, and other European nations. Additionally, there are good movies created outside of the USA; you won't ever find these at the mainstream cinama's here .. or if they're older movies, as movie 're-runs' on television. Lots of people form opinions based on news and other things from television.

The above would be a small step at introducing additional culture to the US from English speaking nations. Having access to news networks from outside the US would also assist in providing people with different views of the world. Until then, many people will only have access to US news outlets and US programs to form their opinions.

To get a real understanding of the world, travelling abroad and keeping an open mind is the best way to learn and understand other cultures. However, if one travels to London, stays at The Sheraton (or Marriott) eats at McDonalds, and only goes to the tourist traps, takes pictures, and returns home --- they're not going to learn anything.

The lady that left the plane -- sad thing is she probably was scared. If she was to be interviewed and asked, "Why were you scared?" & "Why do you not like these people and why do you think these people were dangerous?", I'd be willing to bet 9/11 would be one reason, and her understanding of other cultures combined with the Government and Media "paranoia" would be the other reason. Afterall, Chertoff announced his "gut feeling" ....
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
With all due respect, what on earth are you talking about?

Why should an Arab be under greater scrutiny for carrying what you describe as bits of wire and electronics, than a non-Arab?
Where did I say "should"?

I just said that I can imagine people getting nervous over the cases I outlined. If I read a story about someone who was carrying bits of wires and electronics about, and how a passenger expressed alarm, I could look at it and say, "Okay, I see how a panicky flyer who was not familiar with the items could see that and become alarmed." It's not to say that I would believe that an Arab person fiddling with electronics and wires is a terrorist waiting to blow up a plane. If anyone hoping to blow up a plane is fiddling around with the bomb in the open, in the waiting area, I doubt they would be smart enough to get something past even Kip-like security. But I would read the story and not be too shocked at the reaction, human nature and nervous passengers being what they are.

It simply had not occurred to me before that even nervous travelers would be alarmed at someone simply speaking a foreign language. That was a shocker even to my assumptions on nervous passengers.

(And as for greater scrutiny, heck, there's a security article around here about someone who had their homemade ipod battery confiscated. I will admit to at times leaving a book I've been reading at home because I was worried about the delays it might cause at security. Sad, but true.)
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
"Protecting her family and kids"?
She should be worried more about the child predators, registered sex offenders, axe muderers, and Senators who are "cluckying around in the restroom" (if you know what I mean), who almost always are "normal looking" people, who might just look like her neighbor, maybe even the person sitting next to her on the plane. Talking about looks, not all terrorists are "middle eastern arabs", lets see..... the Unibomber, the Olympic park bomber, Oklahoma city, who were these guys??? Foreign nationals? Middle Eastern?...Nope, they were all Caucasian Americans. One shouldn't have a biased just because someone is foreign looking or speaking a foreign language, especially if they are middle eastern, many middle eastern people in the US are very proud americans too. "Never judge book by its cover", is my approach, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Talking about looks, not all terrorists are "middle eastern arabs", lets see..... the Unibomber, the Olympic park bomber, Oklahoma city, who were these guys??? Foreign nationals? Middle Eastern?...Nope, they were all Caucasian Americans.
Actually, we never caught the Atlanta Olympics bomber, so we have no idea what he looks like.

Not to mention, we never caught the 'Anthrax thru the mail' guy either.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pittpanther
Actually, we never caught the Atlanta Olympics bomber, so we have no idea what he looks like.

Not to mention, we never caught the 'Anthrax thru the mail' guy either.
^ pittpanther!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite, etc, etc, etc
Ummm... actually, it was Eric Rudolph....

Wikipedia Article on Eric Rudolph

Timothy McVeigh, Eric Rudolph, Terry Nichols... 100% American....
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
The Olympic Park Bomber was Eric Robert Rudolph, he's a caucasian american, he was caught, and is in federal prison as we speak.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC, HH
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The complaining cowardly woman should have been beaten severely. What a disgusting piece of garbage.

And from Germany...drum roll...could not agree more. ^^^
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:25 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LLM
Yes, and those losers seem to be locals. Imagine if they chose to visit Ali Baba restaurant where the food is inexpensive and delicious and the menu and most of the conversation is in Arabic, right here in the heart of San Diego county.
I would think that the restaurant owners might pick a better name for their restaurant than a name that implies thievery or lawlessness. I know, I know, its only an example.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The complaining cowardly woman should have been beaten severely. What a disgusting piece of garbage.
The news crew should have done a follow up interview with her after the plane arrived safely at its destination...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.