FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Gate Checks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/723423-gate-checks.html)

MrAndy1369 Aug 8, 2007 8:10 pm

Gate Checks?

Since the gate checks has been "expanded", I haven't noticed any of them (oops, probably just jinixed myself). How about you? If they're that rare, that program would probably fail. Or, maybe so many people protested against that, including gate agents, that they scrapped the idea to do gate checks? Whaddya think?

Also, I was thinking... we're VERY lucky that we don't have to go through security when transferring to another plane at a "hub" airport. Very lucky. I wonder how long until they begin requiring us to go out and through security again whenever changing a plane (even though we'll be exiting the plane in the "sterile" area and in most airports, don't have to even leave the sterile area).

Mats Aug 9, 2007 6:52 am

I'm amazed that the TSA has reintroduced this concept. Even Kip said something about "getting it right the first time." But I guess he had a change of heart. The random gate thing is particularly horrible: it delays flights, humiliates passengers, and underscores the ineffectiveness of the checkpoints.

With clogged checkpoints, unused archways and x-ray machines, and delayed passengers, wouldn't it make more sense to use the TSA staff to serve at the checkpoint?

I've been lucky so far. I have seen the random gate screeners at San Juan and Newark, but not for my flights. I've heard that International Flights at Detroit have been hard hit (even Air France.) That and Northwests' problems will ensure that I don't transit there any time soon.

Wally Bird Aug 9, 2007 9:28 am

These are not "gate checks", Citizen. This is a "surge". Totally different thing altogether; we do not change our minds. Ever.

mikeef Aug 9, 2007 10:04 am

Avoid eye contact, avoid eye contact...

Mike

videomaker Aug 9, 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 8202605)

Mike

Good advice.

bseller Aug 9, 2007 10:51 am

Avoid eye contact, avoid eye contact

AND avoid flying Y out of NRT. :eek:
Best, Dave

amsNYC Aug 9, 2007 11:45 am

Gate Checks in force AA gates FLL last Sunday (8/5)

Totally useless and time wasting for all involved.

exerda Aug 9, 2007 12:39 pm

I've seen the gate checks at BKW (which was ridiculous, seeing as how the TSA checkpoint is literally 15 feet from the gate) and at COS in the past year. Looked like they wanted to do them at ABQ not too long ago, too.

sonora Aug 9, 2007 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by amsNYC (Post 8203268)
Totally useless and time wasting for all involved.

I'm sure everyone has their own TSA post they love to hate, but in my experience FLL has the worst, most surly, poorly trained, incompetent, rude and arrogant screeners of anywhere.

I can't imagine having them do a gate checl on top of their usual antics.

LessO2 Aug 9, 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sonora (Post 8203800)
I'm sure everyone has their own TSA post they love to hate, but in my experience FLL has the worst, most surly, poorly trained, incompetent, rude and arrogant screeners of anywhere.

I can't imagine having them do a gate checl on top of their usual antics.

Three letters for you.

E
W
R

goalie Aug 9, 2007 1:05 pm

Mike

but if selected, don't forget to ask "so is this the cya in case you didn't get it right <or "screwed it up"> the first time at the checkpoint?" :rolleyes:

Flaflyer Aug 9, 2007 3:29 pm

Gate Chek 101

[QUOTE=Andy1369;8199539]Also, I was thinking... we're VERY lucky that we don't have to go through security when transferring to another plane at a "hub" airport.[QUOTE]

Some hubs already do like NRT.

How about SIN? They have only gate checks. Going thru immigration is the only check into the airport. (Since there are no domestic flights, all pax are going international.) You can carry anything into the airport. Of course this is a country which strictly forbids private firearms, so I guess they assume no one has a gun to take into the airport.

SIN terrorists must be the most law abiding and well behaved anywhere if they follow the amusing sign at the gate door. Something like “If you have a gun in your suitcase, for the safety of the screeners do not let them find it during the search. Please inform them you have a gun so they may place it for safe keeping.”

OTOH, in spite of “Freedom Baggie” signs EVERYWHERE to the contrary, SIN does not require baggies out. Shoes stay ON. Only laptops come out into bins, but they give you a receipt which you use to claim it five feet away on the other side of the xray. (Who would have the stupidity to steal a laptop going into a sterile locked gate holding area?) Don't trip the WTMD and your total screening time is about 30 seconds. TSA could learn something there.

voop Aug 9, 2007 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 8204836)
SIN does not require baggies out. Shoes stay ON. Only laptops come out into bins, but they give you a receipt which you use to claim it five feet away on the other side of the xray. (Who would have the stupidity to steal a laptop going into a sterile locked gate holding area?) Don't trip the WTMD and your total screening time is about 30 seconds. TSA could learn something there.

Now THATs how it should be done!!!

goalie Aug 9, 2007 5:43 pm

there's annudder thread on "the surge" over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672524

could the moderators combine?