FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   All electronics must be removed from bag. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/721659-all-electronics-must-removed-bag.html)

LessO2 Aug 3, 2007 2:44 pm

All electronics must be removed from bag.

According to this article, all electronics will have to come out.

Get ready for longer lines.

Good job Kip. I feel safer already. :rolleyes:

Doppy Aug 3, 2007 2:53 pm

I don't see the connection between a story about a couple with 17 kids and all electronics having to come out, but if the latter is true, it's going to take a lot longer for some of us to get through the security line.

I wonder if it's just going to be electronic devices, or cables, cords, transformers and headphones too. It would take me about 3 times as long to get through the line if I had to pull all of that stuff out then repack it on the other end.

exerda Aug 3, 2007 2:55 pm

You sure that's the right link? Looks like a story about a family with 17 children to me. :p

It will disgust me to have to get all electronics out... and I won't do so, until the TSA starts arresting me for not doing so.

I can recall in the early TSA days and shortly after 9/11 in the pre-TSA days having screeners direct me to remove all electronic items during a secondary / hand inspection of my bags. It really blew the minds of some of them how much electronic stuff I have.

These days, I have my laptop (already comes out); iPod + Bose QC2s (do these need to come out of the QC2's case, too? :rolleyes:); various camera gear, including chargers; spare batteries for everything from the laptop to the QC2s to camera gear; my cell phone + charger; a couple of thumb drives; often a small USB external hard drive (or two!); a small flashlight (is that electronic); and other assorted junk. If the TSA wants it all out, they can do a secondary of the bag each time. I'm not taking it out for them.

LessO2 Aug 3, 2007 2:59 pm

Sorry. Link fixed.

JakiChan Aug 3, 2007 3:02 pm

So for me that will mean:

Laptop
iPod
phone
PSP
DSLite
Camera

at the very least. Yeah, that is an "enhancement". It will enhance the pockets of thieves who steal your electronics. It will not improve security.

DL4EVR Aug 3, 2007 3:05 pm

On the bright side, at least this doesn't start until the lighter ban is over. But that brings me to another question, why are these electronic items safe in their bags TODAY, but not tomorrow??:confused:

jampa Aug 3, 2007 3:06 pm

i can see it now:

one pink gallon-sized static-proof baggie full of your choice of:

cellphones, pda's, mp3 players, laptop computers & associated cords.

All else must be checked in the hold.

It'll be Kippie Bag -- Version Two.

gj83 Aug 3, 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan (Post 8170439)
at the very least. Yeah, that is an "enhancement". It will enhance the pockets of thieves who steal your electronics. It will not improve security.

Maybe someone is planning christmas "shopping" and utilizing their 5 finger discount.

Nice to give us 1 day notice...

cliff_rock Aug 3, 2007 3:14 pm

I had a trip to Vegas back in April and our screening line was directed to remove ALL electronics. Yes, this meant my cell phone, PDA, MP3, plus the laptop. They did not seem to have a beef with the chargers, I left them in the bag.

I wonder if that was a pilot program? It totally hacked me off, especially since I was travelling with a colleague who used a different line and did NOT have to remove all electronics.

N830MH Aug 3, 2007 3:19 pm

I don't think TSA best idea want removed all electronics from carry on. It should keep inside the carry on all of the times. Just only for the laptop beyond checkpoint. What should hell that I want taking out DVD player from my carry on bags. :confused: TSA doesn't understand why want get a new rules from all airports. Can you please give simply answer me more specific information from TSA.

Norri Aug 3, 2007 3:22 pm

Geez it is going to be even more chaotic than it is now.
I expect the number of secondarys will rocket as people forget some little electronic gizmo in the bowels of their bags.
So what is the alternative? We could put things in the checked bag and send them off unlocked into the airport underworld I suppose.

exerda Aug 3, 2007 3:32 pm

The more I think about this, the more it ticks me off. Let's hope the story is not true, since the TSA has yet to make the announcement themselves.

Of course, seeing as how they know they'd get awful PR for this policy, I can see why they'd hold back on announcing anything if it is indeed true.

I might cut back on a few electronics I carry just to avoid the hassle, but the laptop, cell phone, and often camera are essentials which cannot be left behind.

And I hate to think of the fact that I often put other electronics, carefully packed, in my rollaboard, which I'd then have to unpack, etc., at the checkpoint, well, that's maddening to even consider. These are things which I do not trust in checked bags--and I try to avoid checking bags, anyway--but which I don't need during the flight, and thus don't pack in my laptop bag. Things like the chargers, sometimes another camera lens or so, etc. And the times I travel with my entire camera setup... sheesh, I don't want to think about having to empty all of that out.

This seems more and more like a measure to provide screeners and pickpockets with early Christmas gifts, rather than any sort of real security. :mad: :td:

vassilipan Aug 3, 2007 3:52 pm

Please, please, please let this be an erroneous report. After a hand search of my carryon yesterday at MLI, I am missing my Garmin GPS (currently working on my SF-95). I can only imagine what complete emptying of all electronics will bring.

law dawg Aug 3, 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by DL4EVR (Post 8170454)
On the bright side, at least this doesn't start until the lighter ban is over. But that brings me to another question, why are these electronic items safe in their bags TODAY, but not tomorrow??:confused:

Hmmm, good question.

The mind boggles sometimes.

Flaflyer Aug 3, 2007 4:07 pm

Betting Pool Anyone?

Welcome to "TSA's Annual August Molecule Madness Days™".

August 2006: Water Banned

August 2007: Electrons

August 2008: Will Protons or Neutrons Make the Kip Hit List?

Poor Barkers: "All loose quarks must in your Kip Quart Ziplock"

Has Vegas got a betting line on the Next TSA Enhancement Ban Item?

Jaimito Cartero Aug 3, 2007 4:09 pm

When going through the TSA line on July 31st, I was told that I would have to take my cpap machine out the next time through, as the rules were changing. Sounds like it's an across the board electronics thang. :(

griffinj Aug 3, 2007 4:20 pm

Looks like it's time to revamp the gadget bag :( Would love to hear Kip's logic behind this one.

Next we'll need pack our clean socks in one ziplock and our dirties in another.

Ted S Aug 3, 2007 4:21 pm

Ugh Ugh Ugh. Like most other FTers, I'm very good at getting the laptop out, the shoes & belt off and magically stuffing the watch and other pocket stuffs into a bag before the line has to wait 2 seconds... however, having to take all my portable electronics out of their case would change all of that. I don't care how efficient you are, in today's world that means unpacking and repacking an entire bag. To support this they're going to need to open up every security lane in every terminal and even then.

Come to think of it, I've got devices clipped into my laptop bag (wireless signal detector, charger cables). All that would have to be reconfigured for this screening. Maybe I should stick to the train... :D

entilzhaFT Aug 3, 2007 4:23 pm

Oh please let this not be true. My last itinerary had me going through security twice. I had two bags, both of which were almost entirely filled with electronics. All electronics out, all liquids out. Why should we even have baggage? When will more people start shipping themselves?

gj83 Aug 3, 2007 4:26 pm

This just makes me wonder...what is the purpose of the X-Ray machine?? Obviously it doesn't see anything.

Do they just have so much staff that they need the electronics rummagers?

Points Scrounger Aug 3, 2007 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8170342)
According to this article, all electronics will have to come out.

Get ready for longer lines.

Good job Kip. I feel safer already. :rolleyes:

The article says changes are for DVD players and Playstation-type objects. Mobile phones, mp3 players, etc. are NOT affected!

browserden Aug 3, 2007 4:48 pm

From the article:

The policy recommendation came from a front line security officer who screens passengers every day who observed that game consoles and DVD players are complex devices much like laptop computers. This change brings more uniformity to their policy.
:td: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Of course this guys logic makes sense in a way (if there's a valid reason for screening laptops separately) but why didn't he keep his mouth shut?

Let's hope the EU doesn't implement this.

LessO2 Aug 3, 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 8170879)
The article says changes are for DVD players and Playstation-type objects. Mobile phones, mp3 players, etc. are NOT affected!

Well, obviously it changed. It certainly didn't say that when it was first posted. You can look at the article to see the modification time.

This now sounds like a reaction to the Long Beach incident last week.

bzbdewd Aug 3, 2007 4:52 pm

Now come on read the article! You had me freaking out for a minute until I read it. Actually the article mentions full sized video game players will be added to the list of items that need to be removed. However it specifically says that cell phones & Ipods are not included.
We carry a lot of electronics - 2 laptops, 2 external HD's, 2 ipods, 2 SLR cameras w/ 4 lenses, small video camera (that I never unpack even though I'm supposed to), 4 cellphones, GPS, and a neat receipts scanner - all neatly packed in 2 bags - a laptop bag and camera case backpack. We've only had 1 person actually look in the backpack which is loaded with wires, chargers and weird looking stuff.

Points Scrounger Aug 3, 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8170944)
Well, obviously it changed. It certainly didn't say that when it was first posted. You can look at the article to see the modification time.

This now sounds like a reaction to the Long Beach incident last week.

No doubt. Entirely possible the Sooper-Geniuses @ TSA-HQ "floated" the idea, and pulled back when station managers reported that such a move would cause near-riots at checkpoints (on top of nit-picking at liquids). There is a straw somewhere, and the TSA may have lucked out avoiding it ... this time.

MrAndy1369 Aug 3, 2007 5:31 pm

H o n e s t l y.

I go back and forth from home to college, from coast to coast. Its a hassle already to have to remove my laptop because I have so much stuff.

Points Scrounger, yes looks like TSA lucked out with the straw this time... they're getting tediously close to the line, though.

flyinbob Aug 3, 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan (Post 8170439)
So for me that will mean:

Laptop
iPod
phone
PSP
DSLite
Camera

From what I read it does NOT include small electronics, like i-pods, PSP, phones and cameras. Only "full size DVD players" :confused: and other large electronics.

sinanju Aug 3, 2007 5:44 pm

I apologize in advance to anyone stuck behind me in line. My job requires I travel with a lot of gear:
  • 2 or 3 Laptops
  • Universal adapter for first laptop and gear
  • 1 or 2 additional laptop power bricks for the other laptops
  • VGA switching device
  • 3 or 4 VGA cables
  • Pocket PC/Phone
  • Power strip
  • USB-powered ethernet switch
  • 3 self-coiling ethernet cables
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Pocket GPS receiver
  • Glo-Toob light
  • Backup copies of 3 or more laptop disks
  • iPod
  • Sennheiser Headphones
  • Digital Camera
  • USB webcam

All of this fits into a single backpack that passes everybody's standards for carry-on... but it's going to suck to be me if I have to dump that bag every time I pass through security.

MikeMpls Aug 3, 2007 5:46 pm

The only people who need to apologize are the inept idiots who make these stupid requirements. The rest of us should pack more electronics.

Originally Posted by sinanju (Post 8171179)
I apologize in advance to anyone stuck behind me in line. My job requires I travel with a lot of gear:
  • 2 or 3 Laptops
  • Universal adapter for first laptop and gear
  • 1 or 2 additional laptop power bricks for the other laptops
  • VGA switching device
  • 3 or 4 VGA cables
  • Pocket PC/Phone
  • Power strip
  • USB-powered ethernet switch
  • 3 self-coiling ethernet cables
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Pocket GPS receiver
  • Glo-Toob light
  • Backup copies of 3 laptop disks
  • iPod
  • Sennheiser Headphones

All of this fits into a single backpack that passes everybody's standards for carry-on... but it's going to suck to be me if I have to dump that bag every time I pass through security.

kaukau Aug 3, 2007 5:49 pm

Happy Anniversary, TSA! It was one year ago, Aug. 10, 2006, you gave us the liquid ban. I knew you wouldn't let a year go by without some form of a celebration!

railroadtycoon Aug 3, 2007 5:50 pm

The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.

bordeauxboy Aug 3, 2007 6:10 pm

This has effectively made official the policy that the TSA had previously been randomly applying to me. Take out the portable DVD player and camera along with the laptop...sometimes; other times, no need. Now, every time.

So the items to be removed will be same wherever I go, just like their other policies ;).

VelvetKennedy Aug 3, 2007 6:23 pm

I refuse to check bags, I travel very light, and I have made great efforts to carry only non-liquid/gel toiletries so that I do not have to go through the bother of presenting a stupid baggie. I have the entire security line process down to a fine tuned operation and I cause no delay whatsoever going through the line. My entire briefcase is jammed with well-packed electronics in individual cases for organization and the thought of having to unpack the entire thing at security ticks me off to no end. This is incredibly stupid. If this is true, it makes me want to move extremely slowly, carefully unpacking and repacking, to break the system in protest. What nonsense. :mad:

Oxb Aug 3, 2007 7:03 pm

I have a big bag of misc transistors, ICs, resistors etc somewhere in the basement. Maybe I should take it with me next time. I need to clean out the basement anyway ;)

FliesWay2Much Aug 3, 2007 7:14 pm

Wow -- We're going to rely on the judgment of newly-badged TSO's judgements concerning what exactly is a "full-sized DVD player."

I like the idea of everyone playing dumb and taking out everything they have that's electronic, placing each one into a bin, and grinding the checkpoint to a halt. For me, that would mean, in addition to everything posters have already mentioned, my electric razor and my electric toothbrush.

By playing dumb, we could really have a lot of fun with this.

Way to go, Kippie.

Microtrack Aug 3, 2007 7:19 pm

Clarification

By KOMO Staff
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The TSA has announced a few new security enhancements for a specific few electronics and clarified an earlier press release for about screening procedures for other electronic devices.

Effective Saturday, August 4th, passengers must remove all full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation, X-box, or Nintendo) and full-size DVD players from their carry ons and have them be submitted separately for X-ray screening.

The agency also clarified an earlier press release to say that small electronic items, such as cell phones, MP3 players, iPods and portable video game systems do not have to be removed from their carrying cases.

The policy recommendation came from a front line security officer who screens passengers every day who observed that game consoles and DVD players are complex devices much like laptop computers. This change brings more uniformity to their policy.

Rabidstoat Aug 3, 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Microtrack (Post 8171475)
By KOMO Staff

Boy, I sure hope that guy doesn't realize that the human body has more than 3 ounces of liquid in it...

The policy sounds a bit vague and in flux at the moment. I bet this means there will be variations from airport to airport, which drives me nuts. I especially hate it when some TSA official treats me like a small child for failing to adhere to whatever process is in place at their airport, despite not being in place at the airport I just left.

tlr Aug 3, 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 8170389)
I wonder if it's just going to be electronic devices, or cables, cords, transformers and headphones too.

I was told it's all electronics as of August, by the guy conducting harraSSSSment as prescribed by the boarding pass in ORD T3 (DL concourse) on me the other week -- the rare type of senior screener who will go into that process with a big sigh, a bit of a grin, and without taking themselves any more seriously than they absolutely need to (as in, we all know this ain't useful, let's get over with it, and quickly).

Me: "Can you imagine what the lines will look like then? I don't know what the folks who come up with that kind of rule are thinking..." he: "Me neither. *sigh*"

Points Scrounger Aug 3, 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by tlr (Post 8171501)
I was told it's all electronics as of August, by the guy conducting harraSSSSment as prescribed by the boarding pass in ORD T3 (DL concourse) on me the other week -- the rare type of senior screener who will go into that process with a big sigh, a bit of a grin, and without taking themselves any more seriously than they absolutely need to (as in, we all know this ain't useful, let's get over with it, and quickly).

Me: "Can you imagine what the lines will look like then? I don't know what the folks who come up with that kind of rule are thinking..." he: "Me neither. *sigh*"

It is entirely possible at the time you had the above conversation that was the plan from On High; thereafter, it was likely pointed out that doing so would create a logistical nightmare at checkpoints, as well as enough of a PR headache to make catching any (potential) "baddies" not worth including smaller, commonly (read: sheeple) held items. My $.02

Basically, standard laptop size (12"+) DVD players - the kind that get hooked up to TV's, are what they mean ... I think? (as opposed to the size that fits on a tray table) As far as Playstation-type devices go ... I was once on a flight where a lad brought through not only a Playstation, but a 13" portable TV set with him for use in playing games inflight (RNO - SEA)!

exerda Aug 3, 2007 8:40 pm

"Clarification," my butt.

The TSA, I suspect, meant for it to be "all electronics" all along, but apparently realized the nightmare--both of logistics and of PR--at the eleventh hour.