Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Do these border crossing experiences sound extreme to you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do these border crossing experiences sound extreme to you?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have had dozens of US-Canada-US border crossings and a couple of US-Mexico-US border crossings.

I have never been held up more then two minutes. And most of the time (95%) it is under one minute.

Funniest crossing episode for me was when I was coming back from Niagara. I was staying in BUF and had arrived early enough during the day for a short trip over to the CA side to get some pictures of the Falls.

As I was coming back over the brigde, a US officer asked, "Did you buy anything while you were over there?" I replied that I had and told him, some fudge and a Coke (or coffee, can't recall now).
He paused and asked, "Special fudge?" I think I just laughed and he told me to have a go on and have a good night.

I have heard first hand from friends and family several times when cars were "torn apart" and/or unpacked during searches and trips being delayed 2-3 hours.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by htb
He has no rights at the border. Customs can search as much and as long as they want. You gave him bad advice.

HTB.
Not according to the US District Court of Central California they cannot. The government has appealed, but they have lost round one. And certainly the idea that someone has "no rights" just because they are at a border is ridiculous.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by polonius
Not according to the US District Court of Central California they cannot. The government has appealed, but they have lost round one. And certainly the idea that someone has "no rights" just because they are at a border is ridiculous.
That's the first judge to ever call it a bad search. Hundreds of others have upheld laptop searches at the border.

You have plenty of rights at the border. Not having your stuff searched just isn't one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.